Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Very Strange Movies

Hey, Fedya, of course I've seen the Bunuel film but I had forgotten all about "Just Imagine" and have always wanted to see it.

I need to go find a dvd copy hopefully as it sounds fascinating.

And yes, Martha's love was rather strange.

There was a screening of this two or three years ago at some film house across the country from me.  It was advertised as being in "35mm format".  Of course I didn't read about it until after it happened.  Such is my luck.  This is one movie that is sadly neglected and unobtainable in decent condition.  Unobtainium...  I haven't looked recently, but there were only a DVD and a Youtube copy of the film a few years ago.  The DVD version is from "PRS" and is dated 2008.  This Youtube version came from an obviously different source from the DVD, with the celluloid imperfections in different places.  The Youtube actually was in better condition.  Not as jumpy and fewer splices. 

Maybe the 35mm is for real, maybe it isn't...  I would really like to know about this one.

For the time being this will have to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eldqx1MChyc

"The Cobweb" (1955)--Only film I know of where the crisis is precipitated by needing a new pair of drapes.

The drapes are a Macguffin.
  • Like 1

There was a screening of this two or three years ago at some film house across the country from me. It was advertised as being in "35mm format". Of course I didn't read about it until after it happened. Such is my luck. This is one movie that is sadly neglected and unobtainable in decent condition.

It was on the old Fox Movie Channel years and years ago, and I think I may have a copy of it on VHS. I don't think I've got a working VCR, however.

This is one FXM need to bring back out of the vault. That having been said, I'm glad The Day the Fish Came Out got taken out of the vault. That's another strange movie.

• Like 2

More:

"Madam Satan" (1930)--Cecil B. DeMille's only musical, a mix of romantic comedy, musical, and disaster film.  Musical numbers include 'Ballet Mechanique" and "Do The Cat Walk" where the named hostesses wear cat suits with switching tails and the word "Meow" is repeated in the lyrics.   Crazier, more enjoyable film than "Cat Women of the Moon" (1953).  There are clips from the film on YouTube.

"Eraserhead" (1977)--A nightmarish David Lynch film.  Defies summarization by me.

"Johnny Guitar" (1954)--A western where women are the decisive figures, and men just the passing players.

"Song of Scheherezade" (1947)--Yvonne DeCarlo and Eve Arden dance to the music of Rimsky-Korsakov, among other delights in this odd film.

"Salome" (1923)--This silent is on YouTube available for viewing.

"Salome's Last Dance" (1988)--This Ken Russell film features Oscar Wilde in a brothel, where his latest play is staged for his viewing pleasure.  Was on YouTube.

"The Lair of the White Worm" (1988)--Based on a Bram Stoker novel, this enjoyable horror film flopped at the box office.  Is worth searching out.

I've seen what I consider a lot of "strange" movies over the years.  Some of them intended to be, and many more of them not  intending to be.

Such as to be hard for me to filter through them in order to post them here.

What I CAN do is offer---HEAD--the Monkees movie that's strange in an entertaining and delightful way, and---

DEMENTIA 13--Francis Ford Coppola's first "feature" film and roger Corman produced oddball flick.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

CRASH (1996...and not to be confused with the 2004 Best Picture Oscar winner of the same name)

crash-927169409-large.jpg

Basically, just about the weirdest "How To Get Your Sexual Mojo Back After Sustaining Debilitating Auto Crash Injuries" instructional you're ever likely to see!

(...but then again, David Cronenberg would probably be one of the last people, say the Disney Company for instance, would ever ask to direct any of their mainstream films, ya know)

Dargo--

I'm so glad you brought up this movie. I think it is just about the weirdest mainstream movie I have ever seen.

No way would I have ever paid money to see this movie - - I was living in France and it was on the cable.

I don't know how the characters in the movie live long enough -- with all those auto crashes-- to get to the end of the movie.

This was not a French movie but it was obvious to me that it wasn't an American movie either. I supposed it had some kind of a British-European type production.

Dargo-- did you pay money to see this?

Dargo--

I'm so glad you brought up this movie. I think it is just about the weirdest mainstream movie I have ever seen.

No way would I have ever paid money to see this movie - - I was living in France and it was on the cable.

I don't know how the characters in the movie live long enough -- with all those auto crashes-- to get to the end of the movie.

This was not a French movie but it was obvious to me that it wasn't an American movie either. I supposed it had some kind of a British-European type production.

Actually Princess, it's a Canadian production, and which I believe was mostly filmed in Toronto.

And no, I ran across it on cable some probably 15 years ago or so now.

And yeah, it's a weird one alright, ain't it?! BUT I gotta say two things kept me interested in it to some degree. One being that scene where they re-create the James Dean death in his Porsche 550 Spyder, and the other was trying to keep my eyes off the VERY sultry Deborah Kara Unger here...

Deborah-Kara-Unger---Crash.jpg

(...and which I found myself unable to do)

;)

Dargo--

I looked it up on Wiki--it was a Canadian and British production.

What I meant when I said it was not American was --I meant it had nothing to do with the United States. It had a foreign quality to the production.

Dargo--You look at who you want to look at - -

I was looking at James Spader. LOL

• Like 1

Dargo--

I looked it up on Wiki--it was a Canadian and British production.

What I meant when I said it was not American was --I meant it had nothing to do with the United States. It had a foreign quality to the production.

Dargo--You look at who you want to look at - -

I was looking at James Spader. LOL

LOL

Yeah, I suppose he was kind'a cute in that, and back in the day he still had a head o' hair, huh! ;)

HEY! And speakin' of "sultry babes in very strange movies"(sorry, but that's how my mind works, ya know...LOL), how about David Lynch's(yeah, like a Lynch movie isn't gonna be more than a little "strange", huh) MULHOLLAND DR. (2001) ???

Now THIS one I must admit didn't take me just the sight of Laura Harring here to keep me interested in it...

852ce630fdbc250d0dcc90414c55abdd.jpg

...but of course her presence didn't hurt it either! ;)

(...yep, another of Lynch's REALLY good but really strange movies...I thought so anyway...and even though I think he might've been more than little influenced by the cult classic CARNIVAL OF SOULS)

Flesh (1968) Trash (1969) Heat (1972) by Andy Warhol and

Paul Morrissey. To juice the pr a little bit it should be given

the something trilogy title, maybe the monosyllable trilogy.

• Like 1

I suppose I should post this also in "I Just Watched", but just got done watching DEAD OF NIGHT, which in some ways reminded me of WILLIAM GOLDMAN's book "Magic", also made into a movie with ANTHONY HOPKINS  ANN-MARGARET and BURGESS MEREDITH.

Wierd one for sure.

Only tuned in because up until seeing this, the only other movies I've ever seen MERVYN JOHNS in were SCROOGE(51) with Alistair Sim, and MOBY DICK.

A right fair thespian, I'd say.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

LOL

Yeah, I suppose he was kind'a cute in that, and back in the day he still had a head o' hair, huh! ;)

HEY! And speakin' of "sultry babes in very strange movies"(sorry, but that's how my mind works, ya know...LOL), how about David Lynch's(yeah, like a Lynch movie isn't gonna be more than a little "strange", huh) MULHOLLAND DR. (2001) ???

Now THIS one I must admit didn't take me just the sight of Laura Harring here to keep me interested in it...

852ce630fdbc250d0dcc90414c55abdd.jpg

...but of course her presence didn't hurt it either! ;)

(...yep, another of Lynch's REALLY good but really strange movies...I thought so anyway...and even though I think he might've been more than little influenced by the cult classic CARNIVAL OF SOULS)

Dargo--

Talking about all these other actresses does that make you untrue to Stephanie or Stefanie?

BTW-- they shot Carnival of Souls in my neck of the woods, Kansas.

• Like 2

Dargo--

Talking about all these other actresses does that make you untrue to Stephanie or Stefanie?

LOL

Well, I certainly HOPE not anyway! But then again I certainly hope all my Stephanies, Stefanies and Stepfanies already know and accept me for the fickled sort that I am!

BTW-- they shot Carnival of Souls in my neck of the woods, Kansas.

I thought it was filmed around Salt Lake City?

Aaah, but after just now checking this film's IMDb webpage, it seems, yes, you're right. Some of it was filmed around Lawrence, KS.

(...and now that I recall more clearly, the beginning of it where the car drives off the bridge and into that river with the young people in it, definitely has the look of a midwestern setting than it does Utah)

• Like 1

How about today's offering: The Loved One (1965)

This must have been very strange in the day - still is a bit. I like it a lot.

I really like this wee lassie:

The%2BLoved%2BOne%2B04.JPG

• Like 2

W.C. Fields and Alison Skipworth do the same thing in If I Have a Million.
  • Like 1

Flesh (1968) Trash (1969) Heat (1972) by Andy Warhol and

Paul Morrissey. To juice the pr a little bit it should be given

the something trilogy title, maybe the monosyllable trilogy.

Vautrin, your list reminded me of Andy's foray into horror films with the Frankenstein and Dracula epics.

Saw both, but forget which one was in 3-D!

Seeing body parts skewered on a sword and coming toward one in the audience with blood dripping down, as a real visceral experience.

Dargo--

I not only saw "Crash" I read the book.

The book is way creepier than the film. It is the only book I have ever given away since it was rather disturbing. Not to say it is not good, but it was like keeping photos of Mengele victims on the wall and having to think about them continually.