Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know it ran on TCM

doodle

Some really devoted film, boxing or TCM fan can help me I know.  A couple of years ago on TCM an old B & W movie aired (I'm sure) on TCM.  It's not listed in any of the lists on the website and it's not the color movie from a couple of years ago.  It was the story ( not a great movie) about the life of Primo Carnera.  I'm certain he actually starred in it.  It was about his life, meeting his wife, his boxing career (and mob stuff?).  I can't find a record of it anywhere on the internet but I know I saw it.  He was not co-starring in somebody else's movie it was him and about his life.

Can somebody help?  I'm thinking it was just a dream (okay, not a great dream, granted)

Some really devoted film, boxing or TCM fan can help me I know.  A couple of years ago on TCM an old B & W movie aired (I'm sure) on TCM.  It's not listed in any of the lists on the website and it's not the color movie from a couple of years ago.  It was the story ( not a great movie) about the life of Primo Carnera.  I'm certain he actually starred in it.  It was about his life, meeting his wife, his boxing career (and mob stuff?).  I can't find a record of it anywhere on the internet but I know I saw it.  He was not co-starring in somebody else's movie it was him and about his life.

Can somebody help?  I'm thinking it was just a dream (okay, not a great dream, granted)

What you describe sounds like The Prizefighter and the Lady.    Carnera is in the film,  playing himself as a fighter,  but the film is NOT about his life.   It is fictional and fighter Max Baer plays the Prizefighter and Myrna Loy the Lady.    The film has 'mob stuff' and TCM has shown the film a few times. 

Primo Carnera appeared in the 1933 film The Prizefighter and the Lady, but he wasn't the star, Max Baer was. Primo played his opponent. It's been shown on TCM from time to time. Maybe you were thinking of this?

Hey, I was first (ha ha).   But yea,  I think that has to be the film especially because of the 'mob stuff' comment.   (but then a lot of boxing films feature mob stuff,  e.g. The Harder They Fall).  

• Like 1

I'm not sure which lists you are referring to, but have you seen my list?  Click on my signature and then click on the TCM Schedules Summary link.  If it is a movie, and they played it since 2001, it should be in there.  You can use the browser search function (Cntrl + F) to search for specific movie name, actor/actress, writer, director, etc on that page.

How about The Harder They Fall (1956) starring Humphrey Bogart?  Max Baer is also in this one, but it's loosely based on Carnera's life. 

The Boxer in the film didn't have a wife or any women but there is the mob ties.    Also,  the boxer was a fake while Carnera could really box.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings