Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What exactly is going on with Robert Osborne?

I was out of the loop for awhile due to an accident. Since coming back onboard the TCM

message boards I see that Robert Osborne still isn't appearing as host. I had thought that he was

going to be back in July. Maybe I'm wrong but hasn't he been gone for several months?

What is going on with him? Has he been ill or is he just taking a long sabbatical? I know he's getting up in age but I haven't heard any word on his retirement. What is the official word from TCM officials

about him?

• Like 1

Not to worry, midnight. Robert Osborne is well.

You see, these last few months he and Ozzy Osbourne have been in practice with their planned road show, now confirmed as "The Superfluous U and Not Tour", and which will entail Bob first presenting the Buster Keaton silent classic THE GENERAL...

tt0017925.jpg

...and with Ozzy accompanying the showing of it while playing a live version of his hit rock song "Crazy Train".

The tour is set to open in Hollywood at Grauman's...oh wait, it's now called the "TCL"(doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it) Chinese Theatre on August 1st of this year, and with subsequent showings scheduled nationwide beginning September 1st.

(...sorry...yeah yeah, I DO seem to have much too much free time on my hands lately, don't I?!)

;)

• Like 3

I heard that Uncle Bob was a little skittish at having to

bite the heads off assorted winged creatures, even

after Ozzy had given him a few pointers, so Bob will

just have to bite the head off a chocolate bunny and

do some background vocals. All right now.

• Like 1

I was out of the loop for awhile due to an accident. Since coming back onboard the TCM

message boards I see that Robert Osborne still isn't appearing as host. I had thought that he was

going to be back in July. Maybe I'm wrong but hasn't he been gone for several months?

What is going on with him? Has he been ill or is he just taking a long sabbatical? I know he's getting up in age but I haven't heard any word on his retirement. What is the official word from TCM officials

about him?

The official word from TCM is that "Robert is eager to [return to TCM]," and that "when he comes back on air we'll be sure to tell everyone in the community." That was the response on June 30 to a viewer's Facebook post concerning Osborne's leave of absence. So it sounds from that like Osborne certainly intends to come back to TCM at some point, but his return date is still undetermined. 

I have heard from a friend who works as a segment producer at TCM, and she has described Osborne's condition as "basically in good health, but he's a bit frail right now and isn't able to travel to [TCM HQ in] Atlanta to record his wraparounds." This was an interesting statement, because the last I'd heard was that Osborne now records his segments in New York City rather than Atlanta so he doesn't have to travel for work so much. It sounds like that arrangement is, for whatever reason, no longer viable to TCM. 

• Like 1

You see, these last few months he and Ozzy Osbourne have been in practice with their planned road show, now confirmed as "The Superfluous U and Not Tour", and which will entail Bob first presenting the Buster Keaton silent classic THE GENERAL...

tt0017925.jpg

...and with Ozzy accompanying the showing of it while playing a live version of his hit rock song "Crazy Train".

The tour is set to open in Hollywood at Grauman's...oh wait, it's now called the "TCL"(doesn't quite have the same ring to it, does it) Chinese Theatre on August 1st of this year, and with subsequent showings scheduled nationwide beginning September 1st.

(...sorry...yeah yeah, I DO seem to have much too much free time on my hands lately, don't I?!)

;)

Forget all these noir wannabe guys who want to host retrospectives of old films with little lighting. Ozzy is the real Prince of Darkness and he should be hosting any TCM Noir Fest.

He'd be a lot more fun to watch than that Muller guy, and would use his hands better to express himself, Dargo.

And I'm sure he knows as much as most of the self-proclaimed Noirnescient Knowitalls that seem to have proliferated over the past few years.

Forget all these noir wannabe guys who want to host retrospectives of old films with little lighting. Ozzy is the real Prince of Darkness and he should be hosting any TCM Noir Fest.

He'd be a lot more fun to watch than that Muller guy, and would use his hands better to express himself, Dargo.

And I'm sure he knows as much as most of the self-proclaimed Noirnescient Knowitalls that seem to have proliferated over the past few years.

I assume you're joking.   Ozzy is a moron.  

• Like 1

tt0017925.jpg

;)

You are joking, but when I was living in L.A, I once saw Robert Osborne, Ozzy Osborne, and Super Dave Osborne emerging from a movie theatre together. Obviously unwinding after a family reunion.

• Like 1

ARE THEY SERIOUS, OR IS THIS A GAG?  OZZY OSBORNE?

GET OUGHTTA' TOWN

No spence. "They" aren't serious. And "They" was me, and who started this little joke in this thread about a "Bob and Ozzy meet Buster Keaton Tour".

(...OH, and one more thing here...Ozzy is British ya know, and so he spells his last name with that British superfluous letter "u", and which you left out of his name up there!) ;)

LOL

No spence. "They" aren't serious. And "They" was me, and who started this little joke in this thread about a "Bob and Ozzy meet Buster Keaton Tour".

(...OH, and one more thing here...Ozzy is British ya know, and so he spells his last name with that British superfluous letter "u", and which you left out of his name up there!) ;)

LOL

Spence should also realize that Dargo sometimes goes off the rails on the crazy train.

• Like 1

ARE THEY SERIOUS, OR IS THIS A GAG?  OZZY OSBORNE?

GET OUGHTTA' TOWN

I am deadly serious.

I can see it now. Ozzy hosting Noirfest on TCM and taking out all the retired noir vixens for dinner and drinks while the camera records his conversation.

How hard would it be for Ozzy to ask the same questions they've heard a million times, like "What was Robert Mitchum like?" or "Did you enjoy working with Edgar Ulmer?"

If Ozzy can remember song lyrics he could also memorize such questions and spew them out.

I am deadly serious.

I can see it now. Ozzy hosting Noirfest on TCM and taking out all the retired noir vixens for dinner and drinks while the camera records his conversation.

How hard would it be for Ozzy to ask the same questions they've heard a million times, like "What was Robert Mitchum like?" or "Did you enjoy working with Edgar Ulmer?"

If Ozzy can remember song lyrics he could also memorize such questions and spew them out.

Yeah, but you'd desperately need subtitles for such a thing ya know, CG!

(...I mean, even WHEN that cockney is stone cold sober, ya can't understand a freakin' word he says, RIGHT?!!!)

LOL

Speak for yourself, Miles Standish or should I say Dargo Standish!

How dare you say I am not serious about Ozzy as a Noir Host.

He's got more talent and humor than the typical noir host, and he has better hand gestures while verbalizing inanities.

Okay, so he hasn't sweet talked Ann Savage into dating him yet like the typical noir wannabe, but still.

Give the guy a chance. Ozzy surely as good as some who have been hosting such stuff at TCM, even if he does have the superfluous "u" in his name.

Uh, yeah but so are the self-proclaimed noir experts who host, James.

I don't agree at all.   I have meet Eddie Muller and traded e-mail with him related to noir films.   He is very knowledge and intelligent.

While I haven't meet Ozzy from what I have seen he is a moron. 

Why has this topic changed to Ozzy Osborne?  I started this topic with a serious question about

Robert Osborne's well being and health status. How did it turn to Ozzy? Can we please stick with the topic?

Why has this topic changed to Ozzy Osborne?  I started this topic with a serious question about

Robert Osborne's well being and health status. How did it turn to Ozzy? Can we please stick with the topic?

Sorry 'bout this, midnight. You can blame 'Ol Jokester" here for this, I guess.

BUT ya see, IF you THINK about this, I THINK you'll come to the realization that NOBODY knows for SURE what the damn reason was/is for Bob's absence, AND that member "Barton Keyes" pretty much answered your query early on in your thread, RIGHT?! Well, as least to the extent of what TCM has told us about this anyway, RIGHT?!

And so, BECAUSE you NOW know just about as much as the REST of us around here know about all this, I ask you: What the heck is wrong with havin' a little FUN with this thread, HUH?!

(...I mean, do you think this is somehow now being "disrespectful" to you OR Bob because of this little jocularity???)

RO is 84 now.    I feel we can all assume he has the health status of someone that is in their 80s.

Also one should respect his right to privacy.    

• Like 1