Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Swithin

Theresa May has just become the British Prime Minister

Listen to Theresa May's speech, and remember that she's a Conservative Party politician. She's light years from the American conservative crazies. This speech could have been made by an American liberal. The Brits are firmly in the 21st century and looking forward. Our American conservatives would take us back 100 years.

Wow, Farage and Johnson fell faster than the Contract With America in the 90's...

Listen to Theresa May's speech, and remember that she's a Conservative Party politician. She's light years from the American conservative crazies. This speech could have been made by an American liberal. The Brits are firmly in the 21st century and looking forward. Our American conservatives would take us back 100 years.

theresa-may.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x70

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2016/jul/13/pmqs-cameron-may-reshuffle-labour-leadership-bid-as-mcdonnell-defends-claim-that-anti-corbyn-plotters-****-useless-politics-live

Many nations have beaten the U.S. in having a female leader.

Here's a better link to the speech:

Congrats. Let the Margaret Thatcher comparisons begin

Well she has a more modern hairdo.    Oh,,,,   you mean on issues of substance.    

The Prime Minister Wears Prada high heels.

Maggie and the Queen have their pocketbooks, Theresa May has her high heels.

All joking aside it's great to see a woman as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

Really putting the joking aside the United States is so backwards when it comes to women in high positions.

France had the first female prime minister in the 1980s. Before that we had Indira Gandhi in India and Golda Meir in Israel.

I didn't like Maggie Thatcher's politics but I love the way she was in authority and told people what to do like she had the right and she did because she took it!

More and more women are realizing if they want Power they just have to grab it. Nobody's going to hand it to them.

Germany's been led by a woman for a long time and now it looks as though Angela Merkel will be the leader of the EU.

François Hollande's position in France is very shakey... and I also could say that Ségolène Royal ran against Sarkozy for the top spot in France in 2011.

Here we are the leading country in the world and we don't have a female president. Until this year we never even had a woman who was seriously contending for the top spot. I think it's just disgusting especially when the majority of people in this country are women.

Men have made an awful mess of things as it is now it's time to see what other Talent we've got out there in the pool because we need to see new talent and new ways of looking at things desperately.

And let's face it--women couldn't do any worse.

History is over now it's time for Herstory-- got to be an improvement there.

Congrats. Let the Margaret Thatcher comparisons begin

Apart from Theresa being a woman, I don't think there will be that much of a comparison. Had Theresa's rival for the job, Andrea Leadsom, stayed in the race and won, she would be seen as much more Thatcher-like, I think, politically. 

And the UK has already had a woman as PM, so they won't dwell on it. We dwell on it because we haven't done it -- yet!

When Theresa says things like "If you're black, you're treated more harshly by the criminal justice system than if you're white;" and "If you're a young working class white boy, you're the least likely to go to university;" and other socially conscious things like that, she is pretty far from Mrs. T.  She's where the moderate wing of her party is now, which is good, because the Labour Party is in free-fall.

France had the first female prime minister in the 1980s. Before that we had Indira Gandhi in India and Golda Meir in Israel.

And let's not forget Sirima Ratwatte Dias Bandaranaike of Ceylon/Sri Lanka, who in 1960 became the first female Prime Minister in the world.

And let's not forget Sirima Ratwatte Dias Bandaranaike of Ceylon/Sri Lanka, who in 1960 became the first female Prime Minister in the world.

Swithin--

I also really forgot the late Benazir Bhutto in Pakistan. Can you imagine that - - countries like India and Pakistan have had female leaders and the United States hasn't?

That fact, in addition to all the brouhaha and white racist backlash against Barack Obama being the first black president

--when he's half white anyway--

It really makes me wonder if we've made any fundamental, permanent progress in race and gender relations in this country.

Apart from Theresa being a woman, I don't think there will be that much of a comparison. Had Theresa's rival for the job, Andrea Leadsom, stayed in the race and won, she would be seen as much more Thatcher-like, I think, politically. 

And the UK has already had a woman as PM, so they won't dwell on it. We dwell on it because we haven't done it -- yet!

When Theresa says things like "If you're black, you're treated more harshly by the criminal justice system than if you're white;" and "If you're a young working class white boy, you're the least likely to go to university;" and other socially conscious things like that, she is pretty far from Mrs. T.  She's where the moderate wing of her party is now, which is good, because the Labour Party is in free-fall.

Well, ya know Swithin, MAYBE that Party's fortunes might change for the better IF it would only get wise and spell its name.....ummmm........

(...I assume you know where this is headed and what the punchline is gonna be here, RIGHT?!!!) ;)

LOL

• Like 1

Well, ya know Swithin, MAYBE that Party's fortunes might change for the better IF it would only get wise and spell its name.....ummmm........

(...I assume you know where this is headed and what the punchline is gonna be here, RIGHT?!!!) ;)

LOL

I think I'll call you Dargou from now on. B)

OH, and btw Swithin ol' boy...

Yeah, gotta admit you're right about that lady and how her words definitely suggest the thought that not all Conservatives in the world have to be some kind'a freakin' anti-science, evangelical, xenophobic and pretty much paranoid idiots afraid of change and the future, and like most AMERICAN Conservatives seem to be now days!!!

(...still though, I DO still think it's rather sad that those Limeys over there, and be they conservative OR liberal, can't for whatever freakin' reason see what a stupid shame it is to keep puttin' that really dumb superfluous letter "u" in all those words that REALLY don't need 'em, and thus are SUPERFLUOUS!!!!!!)

LOL

;)

More and more women are realizing if they want Power they just have to grab it. Nobody's going to hand it to them.

Y. V. Tymoshenko became: Prime Minister in: Ukraine in: 2005. This may seem late in comparison to many countries but it is fourteen years only after independence. 

She indeed did have to fight. She was major leader of: Orange Revolution to correct corrupt election and depose Moscow's puppet. She was arrested on false charges and imprisoned by later Moscow puppet. She fights now to keep country free from: Russia.

• Like 1

I think I'll call you Dargou from now on. B)

No, I would advise against that, Lawrence...and here's the reason why.

Now, IF say you DID begin to spell my chosen TCM website nom de plume(sorry for the French here, btw) with that superfluous letter "u" at the end of it, people might THEN begin to pronounce said nom de plume(once again, sorry) as something that would rhyme with the word "argue", would they NOT?!

And so, while I suppose I HAVE occasionally been known to be a bit of an argumentative person around here(rarely of course), I do NOT think that suggestive rhyme of my nom de(oh hell, there's that French thing again), my SITE NAME actually conveys my general and overall demeanor(note if you will the lack of any needless letter "u" in this word here) and which I have cultivated over these now (I think) five years around here.

Nope, what say you just continue to address me as "Dargo", and which would of course rhyme with such words as "escargot", and even though in THIS case we seem to be talkin' about some kind'a French thing again, and one of THEIR superfluous letter "T"s.

(...and I plan on tacklin' those Frenchies and how THEY spell words in such a weird way as soon as I get those Limey's straightened out about that "u")

• Like 1

Y. V. Tymoshenko became: Prime Minister in: Ukraine in: 2005. This may seem late in comparison to many countries but it is fourteen years only after independence. 

She indeed did have to fight. She was major leader of: Orange Revolution to correct corrupt election and depose Moscow's puppet. She was arrested on false charges and imprisoned by later Moscow puppet. She fights now to keep country free from: Russia.

She seems like a decent politician.  I've made the point elsewhere (if I may get political for a moment) that one of Bernie Sanders' senior advisors, Tad Devine, ran the campaign for Viktor Yanukovich, who, sadly, defeated Ms. Tymoshenko in 2010.

No, I would advise against that, Lawrence...and here's the reason why.

Now, IF say you DID begin to spell my chosen TCM website nom de plume(sorry for the French here, btw) with that superfluous letter "u" at the end of it, people might THEN begin to pronounce said nom de plume(once again, sorry) as something that would rhyme with the word "argue", would they NOT?!

And so, while I suppose I HAVE occasionally been known to be a bit of an argumentative person around here(rarely of course), I do NOT think that suggestive rhyme of my nom de(oh hell, there's that French thing again), my SITE NAME actually conveys my general and overall demeanor(note if you will the lack of any needless letter "u" in this word here) and which I have cultivated over these now (I think) five years around here.

Nope, what say you just continue to address me as "Dargo", and which would of course rhyme with such words as "escargot", and even though in THIS case we seem to be talkin' about some kind'a French thing again, and one of THEIR superfluous letter "T"s.

(...and I plan on tacklin' those Frenchies and how THEY spell words in such a weird way as soon as I get those Limey's straighten out about that "u")

Dargo--

From here on out I'm going to drop my Midwestern slang with you and go straight to my French education--

And henceforth if we want to be correct we're going to call you this--

Mon Cher Dargeau-- my dear Dargo-- that would be the correct spelling and it rhymes with beau.

BTW-- I know better than most. French spellings often have no relationships to their pronunciation. Unfortunately it took me 8 years of Education to figure that out. However, what I did learn in France is that even the French people disagree on these pronunciations. LMREO

• Like 1

Cover up lady, there may be children watching. And

the estate of Sid Vicious wants his neck wear returned.

Pols like Bhutto, Gandhi, and Thatcher prove that women

make just as bad leaders as men.

The Prime Minister Wears Prada high heels.

Maggie and the Queen have their pocketbooks, Theresa May has her high heels.

All joking aside it's great to see a woman as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

Really putting the joking aside the United States is so backwards when it comes to women in high positions.

I didn't like Maggie Thatcher's politics but I love the way she was in authority and told people what to do like she had the right and she did because she took it!

Germany's been led by a woman for a long time and now it looks as though Angela Merkel will be the leader of the EU.

François Hollande's position in France is very shakey... and I also could say that Ségolène Royal ran against Sarkozy for the top spot in France in 2011.

Here we are the leading country in the world and we don't have a female president. Until this year we never even had a woman who was seriously contending for the top spot. I think it's just disgusting especially when the majority of people in this country are women.

Men have made an awful mess of things as it is now it's time to see what other Talent we've got out there in the pool because we need to see new talent and new ways of looking at things desperately.

And let's face it--women couldn't do any worse.

History is over now it's time for Herstory-- got to be an improvement there.

I see an all-female coup de tat in our future.

Shocking,' 'Plain Stupid': Theresa May Shuts Climate Change Office-

'This reshuffle risks dropping climate change from the policy agenda altogether—a staggering act of negligence for which we will all pay the price'

The decision comes the same week as the U.K. government's own advisers warned in a report that the nation was not ready for the inevitable consequences of climate change, including deadly heat waves and food and water shortages.

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/07/15/shocking-plain-stupid-theresa-may-shuts-climate-change-office