Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can't figure out title of movie - help, please...

I watched this movie a long time ago and it was similar to The Journey of Natty Gann in that a younger girl ends up traveling with a man who she falls in love with. As far as I can remember the man is irritated with her at first and just thinks she is a boy who won't leave him alone. They travel together on train a lot and that's about all I can remember. This movie is in black and white (maybe even more of a sepia tone) and seems as though it's set in the early 1900s. It's a very obscure film, so I will be overjoyed if someone can identify it for me!

It's been a number of years since I've seen it, but this sounds like George Cukor's Sylvia Scarlett starring Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant.

Katharine Hepburn is disguised as a boy to avoid detection because she's traveling with her father, who is trying to escape from an an accusation of embezzlement.

They meet con artist Cary Grant along the way.

That's my take on it, but somebody else may have another idea.

It's a 1935 RKO movie in black and white.

• Like 1

I wish that was the correct movie, since this has been bothering me for quite a while. The actor in the film had lighter hair than Cary Grant - probably brown hair and the teen actress had blond hair.

I hope it's not some movie in my imagination... ????

I wish that was the correct movie, since this has been bothering me for quite a while. The actor in the film had lighter hair than Cary Grant - probably brown hair and the teen actress had blond hair.

I hope it's not some movie in my imagination...

I do recall a movie where the teen girl disguises herself as a boy.   The teens are runaways and trains are featured since they were the common form of transportation for runaways.     It was a 'B' social justice movie related to the teen runaway situation.     

BUT I can't remember the name.   Anyway if this sounds like the film I could try to search for the title.

This isn't as far back as the 1900's - but the description matches several points.

Of course that was the first film that came to mind,  but it doesn't match "As far as I can remember the man is irritated with her at first and just thinks she is a boy who won't leave him alone. They travel together on train a lot and that's about all I can remember".

While Sullivan is irritated with the Lake character he clearly knows she is a girl,  especially since that pool scene (Lake looking her best IMO) takes place BEFORE any train scenes. 

I do recall a movie where the teen girl disguises herself as a boy. The teens are runaways and trains are featured since they were the common form of transportation for runaways. It was a 'B' social justice movie related to the teen runaway situation.

BUT I can't remember the name. Anyway if this sounds like the film I could try to search for the title.

Sullivan's Travels doesn't match up as far as the lead make character goes. He wasn't a filmmaker posing as a hobo. He was just a vagrant who may have been trying to hide from the law.

You may be into something with your suggestion, James. It may or may not have been a foreign film. ????

Perhaps if you do a keyword search by 'gender disguise' on the IMDb or the TCM database, you will find it more quickly.

Since you mentioned another Disney film earlier in the thread, maybe it's a made-for-TV movie that aired on the Disney channel. Or it's an episode of a classic black-and-white TV series.

Perhaps if you do a keyword search by 'gender disguise' on the IMDb or the TCM database, you will find it more quickly.

Since you mentioned another Disney film earlier in the thread, maybe it's a made-for-TV movie that aired on the Disney channel. Or it's an episode of a classic black-and-white TV series.

It was definitely not a Disney film... The movies were similar in plot only. This movie was more like an independent film possibly made in the 40s or 50s.

I will try the search out though, thanks!

• Like 1

It was definitely not a Disney film... The movies were similar in plot only. This movie was more like an independent film possibly made in the 40s or 50s.

I will try the search out though, thanks!

There are 193 titles on the IMDb that come up with the keywords 'gender disguise.'

http://www.imdb.com/search/keyword?keywords=gender-disguise

The main characters were not played by any sort of well-known actors that I know of, so it's not that movie either.

I am not saying this is the case here, but sometimes we see people on these kinds of threads mix two movies together-- like they are blurring scenes from films that had the same basic story. My advice is to look at what you remember and focus on the most vivid detail, because usually that is what will point you in the direction of correctly identifying the mystery title.

I am not saying this is the case here, but sometimes we see people on these kinds of threads mix two movies together-- like they are blurring scenes from films that had the same basic story. My advice is to look at what you remember and focus on the most vivid detail, because usually that is what will point you in the direction of correctly identifying the mystery title.

I don't doubt that one but and it's very possible I could be doing that. I hope not though, because then I probably have made up a hybrid film. ????

• Like 1

I don't doubt that one but and it's very possible I could be doing that. I hope not though, because then I probably have made up a hybrid film.

Well for all you know that hybrid film might be better then the actual films.   

I tried to fine that film about the runaway teens where the girl masqueraded as a teen boy but so far no luck.  That film also didn't have major stars and that makes it a lot harder to locate doing a Google search.    

Well for all you know that hybrid film might be better then the actual films.

I tried to fine that film about the runaway teens where the girl masqueraded as a teen boy but so far no luck. That film also didn't have major stars and that makes it a lot harder to locate doing a Google search.

Yes, might just be too dern obscure. My luck it's some huge movie that everyone knows, but I can't remember it like I think. Stuff like this can make one stare at the ceiling all night. ????

Yes, might just be too dern obscure. My luck it's some huge movie that everyone knows, but I can't remember it like I think. Stuff like this can make one stare at the ceiling all night.

If it's one that doesn't air often, or at all, then it can really seem obscure. Years ago I remembered watching a classic film with my grandparents on the old AMC. It was something they just loved and I had seen it with them in 1990. Then I never saw it again. All I could remember is it had an ethnic woman with brown hair, and she was on a sheep farm. For twenty-five years, I tried to figure out which movie it was. Then one day, I happened to look at something on Amazon Prime-- and there it was. The film my grandparents loved so much was WILD IS THE WIND, starring Anna Magnani.