Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Can't figure out title of movie - help, please...

Both Sylvia Scarlett (K Hepburn) and Heartbeat (Ginger R) have the stars traveling in boy disguise, and surrounded by cons or pickpockets..?

According to the OP the film doesn't have any major stars.   

Union Depot (1932) ?

It's not that movie either, though now I want to see that movie since I have never heard of it.

The movie I saw was more rugged and the main characters were more vagrants than hobos - if that makes any sense.

I watched this movie a long time ago and it was similar to The Journey of Natty Gann in that a younger girl ends up traveling with a man who she falls in love with. As far as I can remember the man is irritated with her at first and just thinks she is a boy who won't leave him alone. They travel together on train a lot and that's about all I can remember. This movie is in black and white (maybe even more of a sepia tone) and seems as though it's set in the early 1900s. It's a very obscure film, so I will be overjoyed if someone can identify it for me!

Now these here man and girl people... you say they're travelling on a train...

Are they travelling in a passenger car with tickets.. or as stowaways in a boxcar..? Are their clothes shredded and worn? Do they have money?

Now these here man and girl people... you say they're travelling on a train...

Are they travelling in a passenger car with tickets.. or as stowaways in a boxcar..? Are their clothes shredded and worn? Do they have money?

Traveling as stowaways on a box car.

Clothes are worn, but not shredded. 

They have no money and had to find ways of getting food and shelter - that part is very faint in my memory though. 

Hi Joce.o.lyn,

Do you happen to remember if the girl had a non-American accent?  Also.....I know that you said that it was just the two of them, but do you remember if there might have been someone else traveling with the man and the girl (for part of the time)? 

Hi Joce.o.lyn,

Do you happen to remember if the girl had a non-American accent?  Also.....I know that you said that it was just the two of them, but do you remember if there might have been someone else traveling with the man and the girl (for part of the time)?

Part of me is wondering if the film itself was foreign, but it also just might be that the actors had accents.

I got all hopeful last night in my search thinking that a 1959 Russian film titled Ballad of a Soldier, but the movie doesn't really match up either. It has the same kind of feel though, cinematography-wise.

To answer your other auestion, they may have been traveling with someone else at a point in the movie... Seems vaguely familiar.

Part of me is wondering if the film itself was foreign, but it also just might be that the actors had accents.

I got all hopeful last night in my search thinking that a 1959 Russian film titled Ballad of a Soldier, but the movie doesn't really match up either. It has the same kind of feel though, cinematography-wise.

To answer your other auestion, they may have been traveling with someone else at a point in the movie... Seems vaguely familiar.

I did find the title of the film I was thinking it might be it;  Wild Boys of the Road.

Wild Boys of the Road is a 1933 Pre-Code Depression-era American film telling the story of several teens forced into becoming hobos. The film was directed by William Wellman.   Trains are the primary mode of transportation for the teens.

Even if this isn't the film you're looking for, Sunday's L.A. Times had an article on Pre-Code films.   I start reading it and a light goes on;  hey that is the film I was trying to remember!      What are the odds of that????    

• Like 1

OK, thanks.  Well, I know that you mentioned that there weren't any big stars in the movie, but I'll throw this out there anyway.  Could the film possibly be Heaven with a Barbed Wire Fence (1939)?  It stars Glenn Ford, Jean Rogers and Richard Conte (he was actually billed as Nicholas Conte in this movie).  Glenn Ford and Richard Conte both made their feature film debuts in this movie.  Anyway, the storyline that you described is very similar to this film -- the girl dressing up like a boy, the man being annoyed with her at first, riding in the boxcar of a train, etc.  It doesn't take place in the early 1900s, though.  Glenn Ford and Jean Rogers travel together for most of the movie, but Richard Conte travels with them for a little while.  Jean Rogers' character was supposed to be from Spain, so she had a Spanish accent (sort of). 

Here are a couple of photos: 

heavenbarbedwire.jpg

9e54c934-c619-4ed4-97bd-2c8307c84a6d_zps

You can read about the film on the TCMDB page (click on "read the full synopsis").

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/77634/Heaven-with-a-Barbed-Wire-Fence/

• Like 1

OK, thanks.  Well, I know that you mentioned that there weren't any big stars in the movie, but I'll throw this out there anyway.  Could the film possibly be Heaven with a Barbed Wire Fence (1939)?  It stars Glenn Ford, Jean Rogers and Richard Conte (he was actually billed as Nicholas Conte in this movie).  Glenn Ford and Richard Conte both made their feature film debuts in this movie.  Anyway, the storyline that you described is very similar to this film -- the girl dressing up like a boy, the man being annoyed with her at first, riding in the boxcar of a train, etc.  It doesn't take place in the early 1900s, though.  Glenn Ford and Jean Rogers travel together for most of the movie, but Richard Conte travels with them for a little while.  Jean Rogers' character was supposed to be from Spain, so she had a Spanish accent (sort of). 

Here are a couple of photos: 

heavenbarbedwire.jpg

9e54c934-c619-4ed4-97bd-2c8307c84a6d_zps

You can read about the film on the TCMDB page (click on "read the full synopsis").

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/77634/Heaven-with-a-Barbed-Wire-Fence/

I am starting to wonder if I dreamt the movie up because I have seen Heaven with a Barbed Wire fence and while the subject matter is very similar, the plot of the unknown movie was much simpler, as were the types of clothes worn.

I did find the title of the film I was thinking it might be it;  Wild Boys of the Road.

Wild Boys of the Road is a 1933 Pre-Code Depression-era American film telling the story of several teens forced into becoming hobos. The film was directed by William Wellman.   Trains are the primary mode of transportation for the teens.

Even if this isn't the film you're looking for, Sunday's L.A. Times had an article on Pre-Code films.   I start reading it and a light goes on;  hey that is the film I was trying to remember!      What are the odds of that????

That is pretty cool to just stumble upon that! Maybe some day I will just stumble upon the movie I am trying to remember, that is, if the movie even exists.

You guys are awesome for trying to dig up this movie, but I won't feel bad if you decide to give up the search.

• Like 1

I am starting to wonder if I dreamt the movie up because I have seen Heaven with a Barbed Wire fence and while the subject matter is very similar, the plot of the unknown movie was much simpler, as were the types of clothes worn.

That is pretty cool to just stumble upon that! Maybe some day I will just stumble upon the movie I am trying to remember, that is, if the movie even exists.

You guys are awesome for trying to dig up this movie, but I won't feel bad if you decide to give up the search.

We need $100 ... for passage to Casablanca. I'm sure we'll find the bird there.

• Like 1

It may be the case, because just about every woman-dressed-as-boy-hoboing-in-a-boxcar movie has been mentioned.  Except for the one starring Elizabeth Montgomery:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/414233/Mrs-Sundance/

It may be the case, because just about every woman-dressed-as-boy-hoboing-in-a-boxcar movie has been mentioned.  Except for the one starring Elizabeth Montgomery:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/414233/Mrs-Sundance/

Haha... I definitely would remember if Elizabeth Montgomery was in the movie. My luck would be that it is one of those rare movies that gets aired every few decades and no one else has seen it. So frustrating.

We need $100 ... for passage to Casablanca. I'm sure we'll find the bird there.

If only I had $100...

I used to blur my favorite movies together. Now I just can't remember most of them at all.

I can't say that I mix movies much... My memory is sadly too keen when it comes to trivial things, so that's why this movie thing is driving me batty and there are two other movies that I thought of the other day that I can't remember the names of, but I will spare this forum of another thread to search them out.

I can't say that I mix movies much... My memory is sadly too keen when it comes to trivial things, so that's why this movie thing is driving me batty and there are two other movies that I thought of the other day that I can't remember the names of, but I will spare this forum of another thread to search them out.

We probably know those.

:lol:

• Like 1

Hmmm... maybe I will post threads on those too, then... muahahaa. That is, if I can get the details I do remember all straightened out.  :blink:

Go ahead and ask away.  It can make things fun at times.

I had a couple monster movies I once saw, one after another, when I stayed home from school sick as a kid.  I must have drifted off in the middle and woke up again.  I remembered it as one movie, then figured it out years later.  It turns out that The Blob DIDN'T come from a can of soup.  That was Ymir, jelly from Venus in a small containment vessel that washed ashore on a beach, in the movie 20 Million Miles to Earth.  Haha.

• Like 1

Go ahead and ask away.  It can make things fun at times.

I had a couple monster movies I once saw, one after another, when I stayed home from school sick as a kid.  I must have drifted off in the middle and woke up again.  I remembered it as one movie, then figured it out years later.  It turns out that The Blob DIDN'T come from a can of soup.  That was Ymir, jelly from Venus in a small containment vessel that washed ashore on a beach, in the movie 20 Million Miles to Earth.  Haha.

Nowadays, The Blob does come from a can of soup, only you won't see it in your theater.

• Like 1

Maybe you're thinking of that well-known film A Boxcar Named Desire

;)

Joce.o.lyn, I have a feeling that your movie is a real one, not a dreamed-up one.  You seem to remember quite a few details.  We'll keep on searching.   Do you happen to remember any more details about the film in question? 

• Like 1