Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anybody Else Sick of Westerns Yet??

lydecker

I'll NEVER get sick of Westerns.  LOVED 'em as a kid, and that's likely why I STILL love 'em.  I wish they still made them more often

But I noticed last night, they showed BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK which does have a "Western style" kind of title, but I really never thought of as BEING a Western.  Although you could argue it does have elements of a Western about it, but so does sections of STAR WARS.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

lydecker--How about a compromise--TCM does a special month on Noir Westerns; the opening night lineup to be Raoul Walsh's 1947 "Pursued", Anthony Mann's 1950 "The Furies", Charles Laughton's "The Night of the Hunter"* (1955), Robert Wise's "Blood on the Moon" (1948) & "The Stalking Moon (1969)--and you get to pick the next night, and then everyone else picks the rest of the month.

*--TNotH I can always watch again--I know it's being shown this month.

• Like 1

lydecker--How about a compromise--TCM does a special month on Noir Westerns; the opening night lineup to be Raoul Walsh's 1947 "Pursued", Anthony Mann's 1950 "The Furies", Charles Laughton's "The Night of the Hunter"* (1955), Robert Wise's "Blood on the Moon" (1948) & "The Stalking Moon (1969)--and you get to pick the next night, and then everyone else picks the rest of the month.

film lover, baby, with respect, it's beyond a stretch to say "Night of the Hunter" is a Western, even if we're being flexible about what a western is.

(Now, calling it a "noir" I have no problem with.)

• Like 1

I would further include Night of the Hunter in the category of "Dark Fairy Tales." But I have to agree that it is more than a stretch to call it a western or western noir.

By the way, I love westerns, though I have a very difficult (no, call it impossible) time watching little western "B"s starring a Roy Rogers or Dick Foran or whoever. I notice that TCM likes to have some days devoted to Tim Holt westerns or whoever from the B stock. Obviously, some like these little 60 minute or so features. Their charms tend to elude me, however.

A "B" noir, yes! A "B" western, maybe it's time to floss my teeth time.

• Like 1

Lord, make it stop!!!  48 hours per week in July of Westerns??? What sadist thought up this little programming nightmare??

How I wish for the return of Summer of Darkness . . . 

Lydecker

You're making me laugh.

I think you have channeled the real Clifton Webb since that is probably exactly how he would feel when faced with Western garb and a horse.

• Like 1

But I noticed last night, they showed BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK which does have a "Western style" kind of title, but I really never thought of as BEING a Western.  Although you could argue it does have elements of a Western about it, but so does sections of STAR WARS.

Sepiatone

Somebody at TCM loves Bad Day At Black Rock since I believe it may oust North by Northwest as the "Most Annoyingly Repeated Film" on TCM if not now, in the near future.  It is always on!

• Like 1

I would further include Night of the Hunter in the category of "Dark Fairy Tales." But I have to agree that it is more than a stretch to call it a western or western noir.

By the way, I love westerns, though I have a very difficult (no, call it impossible) time watching little western "B"s starring a Roy Rogers or Dick Foran or whoever. I notice that TCM likes to have some days devoted to Tim Holt westerns or whoever from the B stock. Obviously, some like these little 60 minute or so features. Their charms tend to elude me, however.

A "B" noir, yes! A "B" western, maybe it's time to floss my teeth time.

But within some of these minor B-Westerns are classic performances by C&W stars like Tex Ritter and Roy Acuff which are fun to see.

Tex was not such a bad actor by the way, but looks nothing like son, John. I sure hope that in one of these Westerns Tex might find it in his heart to sing "The Long, Black Veil" but I think it came out way after his movie career ended sadly.

Oddly enough, in yesterday's Western called "Cowboy Canteen" even the Mills Brothers were dressed up in Western gear to sing a number. I don't think their clothes were from the Nudie Collection though!

Lord, make it stop!!!  48 hours per week in July of Westerns??? What sadist thought up this little programming nightmare??

Lydecker

Maybe they're just not showing the kind of westerns you'd like.

FORHEAVENSSAKETC.jpg

• Like 5

Now that is one great idea.    I have to admit that TCM is showing too many westerns,  in a short time period,  for my taste,  but hey,  that just gives me time for some other things.

• Like 1

You forgot to mention this one, fl...

LOBBYCARD336-2.jpg?1327064021

Filmed right here in Sedona, and pretty much Powell is playing a 19th century version of his career-changing role of Phillip Marlowe in FAREWELL, MY LOVELY.

• Like 2

Could merge western with sci-fi :D

"Cowboys and Aliens" (2011)

cowboys.jpg

"Valley of The Gwangi" (1969)

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 4

Lydecker

I am and I haven't even tuned into TCM this month.

• Like 1

Lord, make it stop!!! 48 hours per week in July of Westerns??? What sadist thought up this little programming nightmare??

Lydecker

I think most westerns are just alot of sexist- racist claptrap. A bunch of male egos running around trying to shoot each other or running around and trying to shoot the Indians or just running and shooting.

A kind of a Mindless idiotic drivel that deserves John Wayne as its hero.- and the confused Clint Eastwood as its anti-hero.

The only thing that could get me to look at a western would be if it starred a great actor who also happened to be extremely sexy.

I've actually seen several John Wayne movies of my own volition because they co-starred Randolph Scott, James Stewart and William Holden.

Those 3 are quite talented in this genre. I've also have willingly watched westerns starring Richard Widmark and Joel McCrea.

Gary Cooper is a great screen presence and I watch everything that he's in, which means I've seen a hell of a lot of westerns.

When it comes to Westerns I go with the old saying cherchez La Femme, or in this case, that would be cherchez L'Homme.

If you got to watch a western just make sure that John Wayne is not in it or that he's backed up by somebody who can really act like Bill Holden.

BTW-- Midnight Cowboy is my favorite Western.

• Like 1

I think most westerns are just alot of sexist- racist claptrap. A bunch of male egos running around trying to shoot each other or running around and trying to shoot the Indians or just running and shooting.

A kind of a Mindless idiotic drivel that deserves John Wayne as its hero.- and the confused Clint Eastwood as its anti-hero.

Spoken like a true 50's deconstructionist who was born sometime after the 70's.   :rolleyes:

Me, I'm more a fan of the "Period western" that was done in the wake of "Unforgiven"--Eastwood's "confusion" (and in this case, it was) was pretty good in that one, and with two exceptions, Gene Hackman never gave a bad performance in his life.  Unforgiven was everything that Michael Cimino thought he was doing in "Heaven's Gate", but didn't know how.

Leading to "The Assassination of Jesse James", of course, but I'll have to take another look at the 90's "Tombstone" first. 

And then, of course, a few episodes of Richard Boone in "Have Gun Will Travel" couldn't hurt, along with a few James Garner "Maverick"'s--or even the Mel Gibson version--for chaser.  

Boone facing down Paul Newman in Hombre, however...not so much.

BTW-- Midnight Cowboy is my favorite Western.

It is?  I thought they'd be showing that for their "NYC in the 70's" symposium.  (Apart from the fact it came out in 1969.)

• Like 1

Spoken like a true 50's deconstructionist who was born sometime after the 70's. :rolleyes:

Me, I'm more a fan of the "Period western" that was done in the wake of "Unforgiven"--Eastwood's "confusion" (and in this case, it was) was pretty good in that one, and with two exceptions, Gene Hackman never gave a bad performance in his life. Unforgiven was everything that Michael Cimino thought he was doing in "Heaven's Gate", but didn't know how.

Leading to "The Assassination of Jesse James", of course, but I'll have to take another look at the 90's "Tombstone" first.

And then, of course, a few episodes of Richard Boone in "Have Gun Will Travel" couldn't hurt, along with a few James Garner "Maverick"'s--or even the Mel Gibson version--for chaser.

Boone facing down Paul Newman in Hombre, however...not so much.

It is? I thought they'd be showing that for their "NYC in the 70's" symposium. (Apart from the fact it came out in 1969.)

God bless your Eric - - I'd give up my original soundtrack cassette and my original soundtrack CD of Midnight Cowboy to have been born in the 70s.

But alas, I'm a real baby boomer who grew up watching, Gunsmoke, Maverick, Have Gun Will Travel, Wanted Dead or Alive, Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, Colt 45, Yancy Derringer --excetera excetera every night of my young life.

But in my childlike naivete , I did ask my father once what was the rifleman shooting at when the show came on? But he never did tell me.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings