Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Trigger Versus Mister Ed

While watching some of the Westerns yesterday, with Roy Rogers I was as always impressed with the wonderful palomino known as Trigger. Originally named Golden Cloud, he supposedly began his career carrying Olivia DeHavilland as Maid Marian in the Robin Hood epic with Errol Flynn. Trigger, having been born on July 4. 1935 was a thoroughbred who could do 150 tricks by the time he was working with Roy, and the palomino was one Roy had picked out of a group of five, to play his steed on film. Trigger apparently was such a ham that he would start to bow if he saw even a few people gather, and could walk up stairs to visit sick children in hospitals and was also potty trained, which helped when he and Roy would stay in hotels. Trigger was the consummate performer but sadly was never bred and died on July 3, 1965 and as we all know, Roy's love for him caused him to have Trigger preserved by a taxidermist and he stood for many years at his museum, and was bought finally after being at Branson by a group who plan a Western museum.

On the other hand, Mister Ed though not a big movie star like Trigger, did have many stars of films pay court to him on his eponymous show, "Mister Ed" like Clint Eastwood, Mae West, and Zsa Zsa Gabor among others. Ed's real name was Bamboo Harvester, and he too was a palomino with many talents, some of which were his ability to understand over 25 worded commands, to bat a ball while playing with the Dodgers, to pick up phones, close up his stable doors and pout, and many other things. One talent he had over Trigger was of course his ability to talk, and to put humans in their place. Mister Ed was a gelding, which sadly means he had been castrated so again there is no progeny to carry on the line, but there is a situation about his demise from kidney and arthritic problems which is called EdGate. Some say he lived from 1949 to 1970 and others say he was euthanized by a caregiver who thought he was in pain, and a double horse was trotted out as Mister Ed for photo ops. Even Alan Young added to the controversy by saying he used to visit Ed after the date he was supposed to have been dead.

Whichever story you believe, it is immaterial as both palominos were exceptional performers, but my question is...Mister Ed or Trigger?

Just like answering if you prefer Ginger or Mary Ann or the Munsters versus the Addams Family, I think picking Ed over Trigger or Trigger over Ed will be very telling.

Please explain your reasons for your vote.

No votes for Bullet or Buttermilk will be counted in the tally!

• Like 1

Trigger was Winnie the Pooh's friend. Oops, wrong continent.

Here in northeastern Oklahoma, we have affinity for Mr. Ed. He is said to be buried in Tahlequah.

And Francis the Talking Mule demands equal time.

Mr Ed always get in the last word. ;)

I have a strong feeling that Ed and Trigger would not have gotten along.

And Ed talking to Trigger would have been a big mistake.

Trigger was Winnie the Pooh's friend. Oops, wrong continent.

Here in northeastern Oklahoma, we have affinity for Mr. Ed. He is said to be buried in Tahlequah.

And Francis the Talking Mule demands equal time.

Thanks, C or K!

You are so lucky to have such a famed performer ensconced in your local happy hunting grounds.

I always liked Francis the Talking Mule and of course who doesn't like Donald O'Connor, but lookswise he could never compete with Ed or Trigger. He did have almost as good a sense of humor as Eddie Boy though.

• Like 1

While watching some of the Westerns yesterday, with Roy Rogers I was as always impressed with the wonderful palomino known as Trigger. Originally named Golden Cloud, he supposedly began his career carrying Olivia DeHavilland as Maid Marian in the Robin Hood epic with Errol Flynn. Trigger, having been born on July 4. 1935 was a thoroughbred who could do 150 tricks by the time he was working with Roy, and the palomino was one Roy had picked out of a group of five, to play his steed on film. Trigger apparently was such a ham that he would start to bow if he saw even a few people gather, and could walk up stairs to visit sick children in hospitals and was also potty trained, which helped when he and Roy would stay in hotels. Trigger was the consummate performer but sadly was never bred and died on July 3, 1965 and as we all know, Roy's love for him caused him to have Trigger preserved by a taxidermist and he stood for many years at his museum, and was bought finally after being at Branson by a group who plan a Western museum.

On the other hand, Mister Ed though not a big movie star like Trigger, did have many stars of films pay court to him on his eponymous show, "Mister Ed" like Clint Eastwood, Mae West, and Zsa Zsa Gabor among others. Ed's real name was Bamboo Harvester, and he too was a palomino with many talents, some of which were his ability to understand over 25 worded commands, to bat a ball while playing with the Dodgers, to pick up phones, close up his stable doors and pout, and many other things. One talent he had over Trigger was of course his ability to talk, and to put humans in their place. Mister Ed was a gelding, which sadly means he had been castrated so again there is no progeny to carry on the line, but there is a situation about his demise from kidney and arthritic problems which is called EdGate. Some say he lived from 1949 to 1970 and others say he was euthanized by a caregiver who thought he was in pain, and a double horse was trotted out as Mister Ed for photo ops. Even Alan Young added to the controversy by saying he used to visit Ed after the date he was supposed to have been dead.

Whichever story you believe, it is immaterial as both palominos were exceptional performers, but my question is...Mister Ed or Trigger?

Just like answering if you prefer Ginger or Mary Ann or the Munsters versus the Addams Family, I think picking Ed over Trigger or Trigger over Ed will be very telling.

May I vote for Edna May Oliver?

• Like 2

Only if you also place a vote for Fred Allen, Down.

Dale Evans vs. Carol Post. No contest,

it's the Postest with the mostest.

• Like 1

The original Trigger was the most beautiful horse I have ever seen.  There were 4 palominos that Roy used to play Trigger in his movies.  Trigger, Trigger Jr. and 2 others whose names escape me now.  None of them were related to Trigger.  Trigger Jr. was used as Trigger's stand-in more often than the others.  Nice to see this topic raised.

• Like 1

Only if you also place a vote for Fred Allen, Down.

Yeah, or maybe Ned Sparks???

LOL!!! You may as well throw in Fred Gwynne.

I love all animals, but I must say that Mister Ed has a special place in my heart and is the wallpaper on my PC here at work and at home. Everybody that sees my wallpaper exclaim that they love Mister Ed. Me too.

Growing up ofcourse I was a big fan of Trigger. What a beautiful Palomino!

But as an adult I got hooked on the cable TV Nostalgia channels and I started watching Mr. Ed.

It got so bad that I bought his biography by Alan Young.

After reading about Bamboo Harvester with the stage name of Mr. Ed I found out that people didn't see him as just a trained horse Because his behavior was rather human.

Alan Young told about how Mr. Ed almost got hit buy cars on a highway because he ran off on a location shoot in order to relieve himself in private.

Connie Hines said that every day when she went to work and she would pass by Mr. Ed's dressing room AKA the stable, she would speak to him and he would nod in a dignified manner, as if he knew that was required by the star of the show.

Alan Young wrote that one time Ed accidentally bit him and it hurt a great deal--but it hurt Ed more. Mr. Ed was so upset about biting his friend and fellow actor that they had to suspend shooting for the entire day.

Of course Ed couldn't really talk but he thought he could. Young wrote that Mr. Ed moved his lips when they would be out riding with others and the Riders had stop for a chat.

There arr so many other stories that Alan Young wrote about his co-star. He thought of him as an actor and a co-worker and a friend.

Long after the show was over Alan Young would periodically visit Ed in retirement.

Trigger is a great horse, maybe the greatest trained horse from the movies.

But Mr. Ed was a great TV star and Hollywood personality, who just happened to be horse, of course, of course.

If you haven't guessed by now, I vote for Mr Ed.

• Like 2

Trigger apparently was such a ham that he would start to bow if he saw even a few people gather

People are so quick to put human emotions to animals......animals will OFTEN start going through their bag of tricks when they think the time is right for getting a reward.

As soon as my horse SEES me, she starts bowing. If anyone stops to pet her while in her stall, she stars "performing" to get a treat (which she's SURE you're offering her)

That's why you are advised never to teach your horse "tricks" or your parrot to "whistle" (they won't bother learning words)

Trigger apparently was such a ham that he would start to bow if he saw even a few people gather

People are so quick to put human emotions to animals......animals will OFTEN start going through their bag of tricks when they think the time is right for getting a reward.

As soon as my horse SEES me, she starts bowing. If anyone stops to pet her while in her stall, she stars "performing" to get a treat (which she's SURE you're offering her)

That's why you are advised never to teach your horse "tricks" or your parrot to "whistle" (they won't bother learning words)

In my condo, I'm not even allowed to own a dog, let alone a horse.

Age could be a factor in this kind of vote.

My brother, who was four years my senior, grew up watching Roy Rogers' TV show more than I paid attention to it, and would likely cast HIS vote for Trigger.

I on the other hand, spent more time tuning in to MR. ED, and so for pure sentimentality, would cast my vote HIS way.

But also, as a HUGE horse lover, my brother would probably recuse himself from casting a ballot.

Sepiatone

I remember watching Roy Rogers reruns on Saturday mornings when I was a child (early 1960’s). “Mister Ed” was being shown in the evenings, but later than I was allowed to stay up at the time, so I just started watching “Ed” episodes a couple of years ago, when I was in my late 50’s. (I think I’ve seen all of them now.) I do think Trigger was more majestic and noble, but Mister Ed is simply adorable. Maybe I’m just a sucker for talking animals (loved the movie “Babe” as well as the Francis the talking mule films from the 1950’s), but there is something irresistible about Ed, even though he sometimes acts like a spoiled, wilful child (Wilbur often has his hands full.) As well, Rocky Lane’s voice was perfect – if a horse could talk that is exactly what it would sound like!

• Like 1

I remember watching Roy Rogers reruns on Saturday mornings when I was a child (early 1960’s). “Mister Ed” was being shown in the evenings, but later than I was allowed to stay up at the time, so I just started watching “Ed” episodes a couple of years ago, when I was in my late 50’s. (I think I’ve seen all of them now.) I do think Trigger was more majestic and noble, but Mister Ed is simply adorable. Maybe I’m just a sucker for talking animals (loved the movie “Babe” as well as the Francis the talking mule films from the 1950’s), but there is something irresistible about Ed, even though he sometimes acts like a spoiled, wilful child (Wilbur often has his hands full.) As well, Rocky Lane’s voice was perfect – if a horse could talk that is exactly what it would sound like!

There is something very enduring about talking animals.    How can one not love them.   Of course like most folks my first exposure to talking animals was in cartoons with The Jungle Book being my all time favorite,   but when a film is done well with live animals, what's not to love.

• Like 1

In my condo, I'm not even allowed to own a dog, let alone a horse.

You can't own a horse because of where YOU live?

I live in the inner city ghetto while my horse lives on a country estate.

• Like 1

There is something very enduring about talking animals.    How can one not love them.   Of course like most folks my first exposure to talking animals was in cartoons with The Jungle Book being my all time favorite,   but when a film is done well with live animals, what's not to love.

The best starting place for any group run I ever did was at Parrot Jungle in Miami. The only REAL talking "animals".

• Like 1

RJS, I think you've hit the nail on the horseshoe!

Trigger is "majestic" and "noble" and Ed is just "adorable".

As you say, what loser would not love a talking animal?

Thanks for your sage input!

• Like 1

That's interesting, TS.

My boyfriend also starts to "bow" when he sees me and later will also "perform" to get treats.

I don't keep him in a stall though, and he is impervious to being taught most "tricks" or "whistling" sounds.

I guess horses and men do have a lot in common when one thinks about it.

• Like 1

That's interesting, TS.

My boyfriend also starts to "bow" when he sees me and later will also "perform" to get treats.

I don't keep him in a stall though, and he is impervious to being taught most "tricks" or "whistling" sounds.

I guess horses and men do have a lot in common when one thinks about it.

There was some argument whether Secretariat should be included in the list of best athletes of the 20th century.