Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fantasy Westerns with Webb Parmalee Hollenbeck

CaveGirl

Being that Webb Parmalee Hollenbeck is one of my favorite actors, I think it is sad that he was not used more in Westerns that needed his innate talents.

Sure there are lots of singing cowboys, but dancing cowboys are few and far between.

One fantasy casting of Webb, or Clifton as he was more normally billed would have been with him in the part of the Dancing Kid, in "Johnny Guitar". Sure Scott Brady was fine in the role but let's not lie, with a real trained dancer in the part, the film could have been spectacular. I can see Joan Crawford now reeling around the room in Clifton's arms and though he was a bit long in the tooth at the time, if Fred Astaire could be dating young chicks in films, why not Clifton. Okay, so Clifton was gay but no one knew that at the time and his dancing skills were superb.

So I would have recast "Johhny Guitar" with Clifton as the Dancing Kid, and maybe Richard Haydn in the Sterling Hayden part and that would have been one crazy Western for sure.

Recast a Western with Clifton in a part normally for John Wayne or others and earn my esteem!

Wouldn't he have been great in the Marlene Dietrich role in Rancho Notorious?

Fantastic idea!

He also could have played the lead in "Annie Get Your Gun" and it would have given new meaning to the song about not being able to get a man with a gun.

Ol' Parm in Chiffon River. While the Duke takes 'em to Missouri,

Webby picks up a few extra gold pieces operating a special

wagon for cowhands who like some extra masculine action. When

the back of the wagon opens up at sunset, it's time for some

rootin' tootin' fun. Then every week there's the Who has the

biggest gun contest.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings