Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for Mister Goodbar (1977)

...is coming on tonight at 12:15 am (EST) as part of a look into films of the 1970's and others have mentioned that it is apparently a TCM premiere...

at the risk of angering the Moderator Gods, I found a copy online (with nudity and everything!) and watched it just now.

I DID NOT LIKE IT (NOT EVEN one LITTLE BIT,)

although the ending was quite well done....and most of the acting was alright.

Feel free to check in with your thoughts on the film now or after seeing it, would be curious what you all think/thought.

(and for the record, I don't think the director and cast were trying to make a likeable movie.)

Don'

...is coming on tonight at 12:15 am (EST) as part of a look into films of the 1970's and others have mentioned that it is apparently a TCM premiere...

at the risk of angering the Moderator Gods, I found a copy online (with nudity and everything!) and watched it just now.

Feel free to check in with your thoughts on the film now or after seeing it, would be curious what you all think/thought.

(and for the record, I don't think the director and cast were trying to make a likeable movie.)

Lorna, does stating that you did not like a movie mean to you, that it is not a well made movie?

Just curious.

I recall that it seemed right on point at the time it came out.

...AND IN CASE ANY OF YOU GET MAD ABOUT THE POST BELOW, I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS A BAD MOVIE. 

I JUST DID NOT LIKE IT.

AT ALL.

(NOT EVEN A LITTLE.)

Oh, thanks since that was my question basically below.

You just didn't "like" it. 

Uh, now I'm wondering, what did you not "like" about it particularly?

Sorry for being so nosy!

Don'

Lorna, does stating that you did not like a movie mean to you, that it is not a well made movie?

Just curious.

No...I don't wanna say it was a great movie- but it was well enough made and everything- I just, on a personal level, didn't like it- I found it dark, ugly, upsetting and masochistic: WHICH IS WHAT THE FILMMAKERS WANTED, AND IN THAT END THEY SUCCEEDED.

I also thought the ending- upsetting as it is- was exceptionally well-done.

SPOILER SPOILERS SPOILER SPOILERS below!!!!!!!!!!!

I ALSO went into it having read a goodly portion of the book, which if i recall accurately- reveals that the protagonist has been murdered early on...the film would've been even more CRUSHING had I not known that she dies until the end (which is how they do it, no SUNSET BLVD. like opening where it reveals this person that we're about to spend all this time with is doomed.)

I recall that it seemed right on point at the time it came out.

Oh, thanks since that was my question basically below.

You just didn't "like" it. 

Uh, now I'm wondering, what did you not "like" about it particularly?

Sorry for being so nosy!

DGF: Not being born until 1978, I can't speak for it, but yeah- I do think it was an honest film that had a lot to say about the sexual revolution and the times.

CG: JUST EVERYTHING. SORRY. again, not a bad movie: I just hated it...maybe it's in part the mood I'm in.

That's how some of us get our kicks. B)

That's the exact description a friend of mine used for the movie "Short Cuts" by Robert Altman trying to dissuade me from seeing it.

I then informed her that I liked those qualities in a film.

Kind of like I'd watch a movie about Ted Bundy but I would not want to know him in person.

DGF: Not being born until 1978, I can't speak for it, but yeah- I do think it was an honest film that had a lot to say about the sexual revolution and the times.

CG: JUST EVERYTHING. SORRY. again, not a bad movie: I just hated it...maybe it's in part the mood I'm in.

It's not being shown as a GOOD movie, it's being shown as part of a channel symposium on What the 70's Were About.  (And good thing they're not showing any Altman to symbolize The 70's, or I could show you some "heretical" rants.)

Which, in a way, they were.  It's definitely a story of its time, just as "Thank God It's Friday" would be, and pretty much can only be watched as a historical artifact at worst.

(There was a good documentary on the making of "Deep Throat" that did do a good job of capturing the confused days of the mid-70's sexual revolution, and everyone's attempt to show off what they now could do without knowing exactly what they wanted to do, but all the movies made during that time just sort of took that confusion for granted.)

Richard Brooks, though, just became no friend of the mainstream studios in the post-In Cold Blood days of the 70's and 80's:

Dollars, Bite the Bullet, Fever Pitch, Wrong Is Right...Whether Goodbar was Brooks' last good film is entirely up to the beholder.

It's not being shown as a GOOD movie, it's being shown as part of a channel symposium on What the 70's Were About. (And good thing they're not showing any Altman to symbolize The 70's, or I could show you some "heretical" rants.)

It's definitely a story of its time..... and pretty much can only be watched as a historical artifact at worst.......Whether Goodbar was Brooks' last good film is entirely up to the beholder.

Theyre not showing ANY Altman films?!

That's weird.

Whethr GOODBAR is a good movie or not is certainly open to debate, and I welcome that debate in this thread. I think there's less room for debate on the fact that as a time capsule it is certainly invaluable, and an interesting commentary of that time in America's history.

That's weird.

NOT EVEN Nashville.  (Which had me, like Ned Beatty's sideline character who grumbles deconstructive asides, saying "O-KAY, Bob, it's Ford-era Americana, we get it!")

But my similar "I didn't like it!" opinion on that one is a rant for another time.  I leave you only with the experience of scenes where three or four actors each independently think they have to be the one improvisatory-dialogue actor to carry the scene, and to imagine the idea of being trapped in an entire room of People Who Think They're A Hoot.

That's weird.

Whethr GOODBAR is a good movie or not is certainly open to debate, and I welcome that debate in this thread. I think there's less room for debate on the fact that as a time capsule it is certainly invaluable, and an interesting commentary of that time in America's history.

And which of course was somewhat ended by the AIDS epidemic/scare.

Now, it's been years since I've watched this film, and maybe since it was first released to the theaters, but I do remember thinking the ending "came out of left field" in a manner of speaking, and while that might also be argued as either a "good" or "bad" thing in regard to this film's overall "quality", I can't say.

(...and yes, I know the story was one of those "ripped from the headlines" kind of things)

• Like 2

NOT EVEN Nashville.  (Which had me, like Ned Beatty's sideline character who grumbles deconstructive asides, saying "O-KAY, Bob, it's Ford-era Americana, we get it!")

But my similar "I didn't like it!" opinion on that one is a rant for another time.  I leave you only with the experience of scenes where three or four actors each independently think they have to be the one improvisatory-dialogue actor to carry the scene, and to imagine the idea of being trapped in an entire room of People Who Think They're A Hoot.

y'know, I've never seen NASHVILLE.

I saw M*A*S*H when I was a kid, but really don't recall much.

I saw, and haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated READY TO WEAR.

I love THE LONG GOODBYE and GOSFORD PARK tho.

thus pretty much ends my familiarity with Altman unless I'm forgetting something....

edit- I was forgetting something. POPEYE.

Really wish I had continued to forget it....

y'know, I've never seen NASHVILLE.

I saw M*A*S*H when I was a kid, but really don't recall much.

I saw, and haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated READY TO WEAR.

I love THE LONG GOODBYE and GOSFORD PARK tho.

thus pretty much ends my familiarity with Altman unless I'm forgetting something....

edit- I was forgetting something. POPEYE.

Really wish I had continued to forget it....

I loved Nashville. I also really like McCabe & Mrs. Miller and Short Cuts.

• Like 1

LFMG is well made.  I dislike it A LOT,especially the ending.  I saw this before, on television, in the late 70's or early 80's, so I knew how it ended.  I have problems with:

a.--The films' lack of humor.  There were two intentional laughs in the film--one you need to be a fan of Peter Lorre or Russian novels to catch.

b. LFMG's equating sex with death.

c. Richard Gere is TOO Obviously a psycho To Be Avoided.

d. The final 20 minutes are unwatchable, I don't care How wonderfully it's filmed.

Tuesday Weld and Diane Keaton are both good.  I will avoid this film.  I can wait another thirty years (or longer) before I see LFMG again.

As to whether the film is representative of the 70's???  

Film is worth one viewing.  

• Like 1

LFMG is well made.  I dislike it A LOT,especially the ending.  I saw this before, on television, in the late 70's or early 80's, so I knew how it ended.  I have problems with:

a.--The films' lack of humor.  There were two intentional laughs in the film--one you need to be a fan of Peter Lorre or Russian novels to catch.

d. The final 20 minutes are unwatchable, I don't care How wonderfully it's filmed.

Tuesday Weld and Diane Keaton are both good.  I will avoid this film.  I can wait another thirty years (or longer) before I see LFMG again.

Its based on a true story , it wasn't very humorous for the real woman either. True stories don't always have Hollywood clichés.

I think sometimes Hollywood has brainwashed people (because of that code and other things) to the level that they can't watch a film unless it follows set guidelines. Or else they "can't" like it. 

I thought it was quite representative of the 70's. A woman going away from her family's strict code of morals and living her life as she wished to. And of course, the more freedom one achieves, the less security one has. And unfortunately, she found that out the hard way.  

• Like 3

I'll watch it mainly because I haven't seen it in about thirty years,

so it will be almost like watching a film I've never seen before.

From the little I do recall, it was rather drab and of course depressing,

but I'll give it another chance. The case it was based on was done

on one of the true crime shows. The true story was pretty spooky

and weird too.

• Like 1

Its based on a true story , it wasn't very humorous for the real woman either. True stories don't always have Hollywood clichés.

I think sometimes Hollywood has brainwashed people (because of that code and other things) to the level that they can't watch a film unless it follows set guidelines. Or else they "can't" like it. 

I thought it was quite representative of the 70's. A woman going away from her family's strict code of morals and living her life as she wished to. And of course, the more freedom one achieves, the less security one has. And unfortunately, she found that out the hard way.  

Yeah, maybe Gerald, but then couldn't one say that just because the female protagonist in this story ends up dead because the 1970's women's movement had created an American social environment where women were freed to more explore their sexually without as much the moralistic stigma previously attached to such behavior and that THAT was somehow "representative of the '70s", would be akin to suggesting that the same fate of Robert Wagner's pregnant girlfriend(Joanne Woodward) in A KISS BEFORE DYING is somehow "representative of the 1950s"?

(...in other words, I think both suggestions would be a piece of overstatement, wouldn't ya say?!)

• Like 1

I watched this movie on VHS when I was in college, and while I've never forgotten the horrible ending, I had forgotten how nuts EVERY man in her life was in this movie. Richard Gere was probably gonna kill her eventually, and William Atherton trashed her place, wormed his way into her parents' approval without her knowledge and made up horrible stories about his own family just so he could laugh at her for believing him.

Boy, she needed some outside work hobbies besides bar-cruising and casual sex. Bike riding in Central Park? Going to the theater?

Imagine a giant studio like Paramount funding a film like this today! It was a different, darker and way more creatively adventurous time.

• Like 5

LFMG is well made. I dislike it A LOT,especially the ending. I saw this before, on television, in the late 70's or early 80's, so I knew how it ended. I have problems with:

a.--The films' lack of humor. There were two intentional laughs in the film--one you need to be a fan of Peter Lorre or Russian novels to catch.

Tuesday Weld and Diane Keaton are both good. I will avoid this film. I can wait another thirty years (or longer) before I see LFMG again.

Wow.

If I could, I would permeate your entire review with a series of GIFs of that scene from Young Frankenstein where Cloris Leachman emphatically screams "YES!!!!" And draws her bow across the violin.

We are SO simpatico on this.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings