Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Good Looking Sexless Men in the Movies

CaveGirl

I'll start.

I've always thought Robert Taylor was extremely handsome but totally sexless.

Also rather boring, but that's a whole other thread.

But certainly no Steve Cochran in terms of sex appeal on film.

Next...???

• Like 1

Wendell Corey.

Did the poor guy EVER "get the girl" in ANY movie he was ever in???

(...I can't think of one, anyway)

Excuse me, Dargo!

Are you saying you think Wendell Corey was "good looking"?

Sometimes men's opinions of other men's looks are fascinating to me.

I always thought Wendell Corey's face looked like it was sculpted with a spatula which usually does not connote "good looking" but then that's me, so shallow and all.

Sorry, other than that I do understand where you are coming from and he definitely was "sexless".

Excuse me, Dargo!

Are you saying you think Wendell Corey was "good looking"?

Sometimes men's opinions of other men's looks are fascinating to me.

I always thought Wendell Corey's face looked like it was sculpted with a spatula which usually does not connote "good looking" but then that's me, so shallow and all.

Sorry, other than that I do understand where you are coming from and he definitely was "sexless".

Yeah, after I posted that, I realized your thread title included the words "good looking", and so I probably was amiss in mentioning poor Wendell here, huh.

And NOT that he was "bad looking" at all I suppose, but of course no, he was no..ahem....

hqdefault.jpg

...JACKIE COOGAN!!! 

LOL

;)

• Like 1

Well it has always been a conundrum for me...what made George Brent a "good looking" love interest. The only thing I ever found interesting about George was; is he with or without a moustache...?  otherwise he is the blandest of blandest lovers and it surprised me the number of times he played Bette Davis' love interest.

• Like 1

Well it has always been a conundrum for me...what made George Brent a "good looking" love interest. The only thing I ever found interesting about George was; is he with or without a moustache...?  otherwise he is the blandest of blandest lovers and it surprised me the number of times he played Bette Davis' love interest.

A number of people  on these boards will be able to tell you what was distinctive about George Brent. I'll defer to them.

• Like 2

As a guy, I don't think I can speak much to this.  I can only recall some of the off-hand things my wife might have muttered now and then while watching movies.

I DO recall once, while watching GONE WITH THE WIND, she commented on her puzzlement about Scarlett's "longing" for Ashley Wilkes.  I took it as although she felt LESLIE HOWARD was "good looking", he really didn't inspire any amorous desires.  At least not for her.

And, as CG alludes to, good looks don't always translate into sexual magnetism.  But it can also work the other way.  For example----

It HAS been said that in his time, DON KNOTTS was quite the "ladies man"!

Sepiatone

As a guy, I don't think I can speak much to this.  I can only recall some of the off-hand things my wife might have muttered now and then while watching movies.

I DO recall once, while watching GONE WITH THE WIND, she commented on her puzzlement about Scarlett's "longing" for Ashley Wilkes.  I took it as although she felt LESLIE HOWARD was "good looking", he really didn't inspire any amorous desires.  At least not for her.

And, as CG alludes to, good looks don't always translate into sexual magnetism.  But it can also work the other way.  For example----

It HAS been said that in his time, DON KNOTTS was quite the "ladies man"!

Sepiatone

I can only imagine what the "ladies" looked like.

• Like 2

A lot of 1930s leading men would fall into this category, John Boles for instance. It's easy to see why Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, and Cary Grant became such big stars. They didn't have a lot of competition.

Some of the leading men of the era--George Brent, Pat O'Brien--are not even very good-looking compared to average guys. John Boles is quite good-looking, but not especially sexy.

James Craig is another actor who's good-looking but not too sexy.

...James Craig is another actor who's good-looking but not too sexy.

Could be because every time I see James Craig in somethin', and who I always thought of as "The Low Rent Clark Gable"(could be the mustache), I'm reminded of what a lousy actor he was.

(...those line deliveries of his always sound like he's reading off cue cards, and for the very first time)

• Like 1

A lot of 1930s leading men would fall into this category, John Boles for instance. It's easy to see why Gary Cooper, Clark Gable, and Cary Grant became such big stars. They didn't have a lot of competition.

Some of the leading men of the era--George Brent, Pat O'Brien--are not even very good-looking compared to average guys. John Boles is quite good-looking, but not especially sexy.

His name isn't too sexy either.

Yeah, after I posted that, I realized your thread title included the words "good looking", and so I probably was amiss in mentioning poor Wendell here, huh.

And NOT that he was "bad looking" at all I suppose, but of course no, he was no..ahem....

hqdefault.jpg

...JACKIE COOGAN!!! 

LOL

;)

Aw, ain't he adorable!

A number of people  on these boards will be able to tell you what was distinctive about George Brent. I'll defer to them.

Is this gonna be that thing that Ann Sheridan said, Down?

Boy, she really got some mileage with that dig, didn't she?

Hey, King, my grandma said that she was walking down the street one day and John Boles was in town to do a play and he walked by her and smiled and that he was the most gorgeous man she had ever seen.

Poor grandpa! Honestly though, she said Boles has beautiful blue eyes, a great smile with white teeth [when Gable only had those dentures!] and pink cheeks and thick wavy black hair and he was all dressed up and she still talks about him to this day.

I think she said he looked very sophisticated and classy too. He was quite debonair!

• Like 1

This one is all a matter of subjective opinion - and so many are "on the fence", so to speak -

for example, MARK STEVENS -

a good actor, very good-looking, not exactly bubbling over with sex appeal - and, yet, probably more of "a sex object", than not -

and MONTGOMERY CLIFT -

a fine actor, extremely good-looking, not exactly a "sex object" - and, yet, he was attractive in a non-threatening way -

and JIM DAVIS (in "Winter Meeting") -

given to us as a "sleeping sex object" - could somebody wake him up? -

Sexual charisma comes in all shapes and sizes, I think.

This one is all a matter of subjective opinion - and so many are "on the fence", so to speak -

for example, MARK STEVENS -

a good actor, very good-looking, not exactly bubbling over with sex appeal - and, yet, probably more of "a sex object", than not -

and MONTGOMERY CLIFT -

a fine actor, extremely good-looking, not exactly a "sex object" - and, yet, he was attractive in a non-threatening way -

and JIM DAVIS (in "Winter Meeting") -

given to us as a "sleeping sex object" - could somebody wake him up? -

Sexual charisma comes in all shapes and sizes, I think.

As a woman, I can go to town on this trio!

Mark Stevens- For me, good looking but yes a bit sexless.

Montgomery Clift- Again, for me, early Clift is quite appealing even knowing he is gay, but trust me I would not take him on as a challenge.

Jim Davis- Early, middle or late Davis was extremely attractive and very sexually alluring in a quiet way. Just ask Miss Ellie!

I bet he'd be even more attractive wearing Rayban sunglasses.

• Like 1

As a woman, I can go to town on this trio!

Mark Stevens- For me, good looking but yes a bit sexless.

Montgomery Clift- Again, for me, early Clift is quite appealing even knowing he is gay, but trust me I would not take him on as a challenge.

Jim Davis- Early, middle or late Davis was extremely attractive and very sexually alluring in a quiet way. Just ask Miss Ellie!

I bet he'd be even more attractive wearing Rayban sunglasses.

CaveGirl -

Your input was much-appreciated, as I felt that I was going out on a limb with this one.

Jim Davis in Rayban sunglasses?

Definitely "hot", I would say.

He had the kind of sex appeal that seemed to need a match, right?

CaveGirl -

Your input was much-appreciated, as I felt that I was going out on a limb with this one.

Jim Davis in Rayban sunglasses?

Definitely "hot", I would say.

He had the kind of sex appeal that seemed to need a match, right?

I think he just was a guy who had to age a bit before Hollywood realized what had been before them all those years.

He was never flashy and sometimes that type gets ignored for a while, but he came out of his shell as Jock Ewing and the rest is history.

Loved your post by the way!

• Like 1

(...about to try somethin' here and just to see what kind'a reaction I get from the ladies around here...)

How about Sam Elliott? That dude has no sex appeal at all, wouldn't ya say?!

(...now, if I don't get a minimum of half a dozen ladies riled up and tellin' me I'm crazy, then I don't know nothin' about 'em, 'cause it seems every woman I know thinks the guy is still just about the sexiest thing out there on two legs)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings