Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Goodbar was edited! Epic Fail TCM

alleybjj

It was actually missing about 15 minutes.  It looks like they may have just dropped a reel in the middle, including the famous Gere jockstrap scene.  In fact, the movie as shown makes no sense, since they actually cut the meeting with Gere in the bar.  The rest of the film wasn't edited for sex or nudity, so it may have just been a tragic mistake.  I'm not sure, but it also looks like some of the extra footage that was only in the tv showing may have been included.  I'll have to double check that. At any rate, boo TCM!  You need to fix this and reshow it to make it up to those of us who have been waiting for this for months.  Please!

• Like 5

Isn't this something fans should realize might happen if there are edited for TV versions? If a studio made edits for network and cable TV broadcasts, it is always possible that's the one they'll lease to TCM.

I really don't think this is an edit; I think they may have just dropped an entire reel

• Like 1

I'm going to do a scene by scene analysis tomorrow and report back.  I know there's a lot missing, but as I was speeding through, I also saw the nun scene and the ice skating scene, which I thought were only added for the network tv showing, but memory plays strange tricks (maybe they were there all along and just expanded for tv).

• Like 1

I'm going to do a scene by scene analysis tomorrow and report back.  I know there's a lot missing, but as I was speeding through, I also saw the nun scene and the ice skating scene, which I thought were only added for the network tv showing, but memory plays strange tricks (maybe they were there all along and just expanded for tv).

Which version TCM leases has been an issue,  especially for post Production Movies.    While I understand that there may be limits to which version TCM can lease,  the into,  as well as their movie guide should explain which version they obtained.

But instead it is like they are clueless as to what they are showing.

Richard Gere supposedly did full frontal nudity in "American Gigolo", but that particular scene probably registered on the big screen.

I dont remember but I do remember he had a brief one in the Breathless remake....

• Like 1

I really don't think this is an edit; I think they may have just dropped an entire reel

Maybe if this is something you recorded on DVR, your cable company lost the signal for awhile and you ended up with a shorter version. You would have to look at the total running time and correlate it with the running time listed on TCM's schedule.

• Like 1

Which version TCM leases has been an issue,  especially for post Production Movies.    While I understand that there may be limits to which version TCM can lease,  the into,  as well as their movie guide should explain which version they obtained.

But instead it is like they are clueless as to what they are showing.

They recently showed an extremely bad movie - "The Picasso Summer" - and Ben M. in no way prepared us for it - in the concluding address, he simply said that it was "a troubled production".

Wasn't Richard Gere more "gay" than "straight" in "American Gigolo"?

His full-frontal bedroom scene can be seen on Google by accessing "Richard Gere Nudity American Gigolo".

The imagery in "Amercan Gigolo" was extremely homoerotic:

American-Gigolo.jpg?itok=A6-eQJ99

I saw Looking for Mr. Goodbar years ago. I can't remember anything about the film except my reaction to it at the time (disliked it though I thought Keaton's performance was good).

Anyway I recorded it last night to reappraise it and the recording ran 2 hours, 15 minutes and 51 seconds. Maltin lists it as a 135 minute film in my 2003 Maltin book.

Unless a longer version of the film has come into existence, that sure sounds consistent with what I recorded. Sure doesn't look like any reel is missing.

Ironically, my recorder's last recording was a short I coped off TCM last weekend called "Dating Do's and Don'ts."

I guess Goodbar classifies as one long don't.

• Like 4

I was so caught up in the current events in Nice last night that I forgot about the film until about 15 minutes in. Sometimes the DVR box will pick up a film from the start even if I hit the button a bit late, such was not the case this time. I really wanted to archive this on DVD.

I had not seen it since its theatrical run, but it appeared to have run full length - if such an expression is appropriate here. ;)

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings