Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Brings You to This Site?

Now, Hibi baby, you can see a Vole anytime you want. Just scroll down the page a little.

What about skunks ? Now there's a creature I whole-heartedly loathe.

Ok, just looked them up. Apparently skunks are NOT rodents, but in some skunky species category of their own. Slightly related to weasels.

LOL  That's true.

Fortunately have not had a close encounter with a skunk. I have smelled them though. (LOL).

Okay, you people! What say we ONCE AGAIN try to get this here thread back on topic, OKAY?!

And so, ANOTHER thing that brings me to this site is when after somebody like Hibi down there mentions the word "skunk", and I can then post somethin' like the following in reply...

(...and so, let us all PLEASE attempt to keep this baby on track from now on, OKAY people?!!!)

Now, Hibi baby, you can see a Vole anytime you want. Just scroll down the page a little.

Ok, just looked them up. Apparently skunks are NOT rodents, but in some skunky species category of their own. Slightly related to weasels.

Skunks are in the mustelid (super)family, otherwise known as the weasel family. As with most members of the family, they have strong scent glands, some more so than others. A de-scented.skunk can make.a cute pet, although they no longer.have protection against dogs,.etc. Even some rodents are cute, but when you get into the Willard/Ben category, and are apparently as deluded about your looks as about your self-importance, then that's a serious issue.

• Like 2

Skunks are in the mustelid (super)family, otherwise known as the weasel family. As with most members of the family, they have strong scent glands, some more so than others. A de-scented.skunk can make.a cute pet, although they no longer.have protection against dogs,.etc. Even some rodents are cute, but when you get into the Willard/Ben category, and are apparently as deluded about your looks as about your self-importance, then that's a serious issue.

Yep, OR as this poor fellow here seems to be, "deluded" about the sex-appeal you think you possess to the opposite sex...

tumblr_m1u95cp2rv1qzhhi9o1_500.gif

(...hey c'mon now Arturo, you HAD to know SOMEBODY around here would eventually reference ol' Pepe here what with all this latest talk of skunks...dead or not)

• Like 3

Is this "Vole" thread named after Leonard Vole? (Tyrone Power in WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION)

Sweet of our moderator to do us that solid.

I read it just now - what a waste of time. Nice try at trolling up some controversy, though.

Uh-huh...uh-huh...and so much less purposeful and positive in intent than any of those "Why does America and you Americans suck so damn much?" kind'a threads I remember a "certain someone" starting over there in that other forum so many times in past, eh dark?!

LOL

Look dude, and as I've said to ya before, I love ya and all, but SOMETIMES I feel you should be the very last person around here to make comments like this.

(...and besides, I PERSONALLY thought my paraphrasing of Chuck Heston to answer CG's original question in that thread was pretty damn clever...and so SCREW YOU, you darn Canuck!!!!) ;)

LOL...some more

Is this "Vole" thread named after Leonard Vole? (Tyrone Power in WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION)

If you mean the 20th Century Vole thread, technically it's from the studio that gave you "A Magnificent Festering", "Intercourse Italian Style", and "The Semaphore Version of Wuthering Heights":

• Like 2

Uh-huh...uh-huh...and so much less purposeful and positive in intent than any of those "Why does America and you Americans suck so damn much?" kind'a threads I remember a "certain someone" starting over there in that other forum so many times in past, eh dark?!

Yeah. I hate that guy.

What I also love about this site, is that there are so many people here who know about so many different topics.  I'm hoping I'm making sense, as I may have over-indulged in Sauvignon Blanc in my I Love Lucy wine club.  I like that there are people here who know about musicals, 1970s films, film noir, comedy, 1930s screwball, etc.  

Right now, I'm watching I Love Lucy, and I feel that his show borrowed a lot of its comedy themes from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

• Like 2

What I also love about this site, is that there are so many people here who know about so many different topics. I'm hoping I'm making sense, as I may have over-indulged in Sauvignon Blanc in my I Love Lucy wine club. I like that there are people here who know about musicals, 1970s films, film noir, comedy, 1930s screwball, etc.

Right now, I'm watching I Love Lucy, and I feel that his show borrowed a lot of its comedy themes from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Speedy-- right now I'm watching I Love Lucy too.

I try not to watch too many in one day, but I'm addicted.

You're talking about where Lucy gets its ideas - - every major sitcom I've ever seen after Lucy has Lucy episodes.

They actually lift the same plot. Think about it. Gotta go Desi is getting ready to sing.

• Like 1

내가 사랑 루시 최고의 코미디 중 하나입니다 이제까지 보여줍니다 생각합니다. 우리는 항상 무엇을 기대해야하는지에 관해 알고, 아직 그것을마다 떨어졌다. "Looosiie .. 당신이 할 몇 가지 'splainin'을 가지고".

• Like 4

내가 사랑 루시 최고의 코미디 중 하나입니다 이제까지 보여줍니다 생각합니다. 우리는 항상 무엇을 기대해야하는지에 관해 알고, 아직 그것을마다 떨어졌다. "Looosiie .. 당신이 할 몇 가지 'splainin'을 가지고".

LOL

Then I guess you must be in thread heaven just about 11pm EST there in Florida every evening, eh Kid?! ;)

(...and just before our illustrious moderators around here wake up, see this sort'a stuff and delete it, and then spoil all your fun)

It is #23 of 24 bookmarks on my Bookmarks Bar that goes across the top of my screen on my Firefox browser.

I have four bookmarks for this forum. Each is for one of boards which I regularly visit. I find it much faster and easier than using the site menu.

I have four bookmarks for this forum. Each is for one of boards which I regularly visit. I find it much faster and easier than using the site menu.

I just use forums.tcm.com as my landing page and go from there.  This is the only movie forum I really use.  The rest are mostly either shopping, news, or professional sites.

If you could only take three websites that have active user forums with you into the future, which three would you pick?  :)

• Like 1

If you could only take three websites that have active user forums with you into the future, which three would you pick?  

I feel that the most obvious is: Reddit. It has the greatest variety possible because users can create new boards for specialized interests. It is very much a moving finger because on many boards it is that a post which does not receive a replies and upvotes will sink out of sight within a dozen minutes. I do not know how many thousands of boards it has. I am sad to say that I have not found one for classic movies.

I would be very lost if I could not access: Imgur. A thread is created by posting an image. Comments range from sublime to obscene to ridiculous. It uses the: "140 characters" rule for replies but it is common to see a reply cut into several sections. Images posted explore entire gamut of existence. A .gif of a kitten stretching its toes might be near a disassembled fork from a Triumph which is near a political-discourse parody. There is no moderation for language. There is supposed moderation for nudity but it often requires hours for 'offending' posts to be removed. The site is quite active and so a thread which does not receive immediate upvotes quickly sinks from sight.

I do not know at this moment what I might choose for third website.

I just use forums.tcm.com as my landing page and go from there.  This is the only movie forum I really use.  The rest are mostly either shopping, news, or professional sites.

If you could only take three websites that have active user forums with you into the future, which three would you pick?  :)

www.millionairematchup.com, www.noncordless.org, and www.bonzailovers.com

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a Millennial and I love classic movies but my brothers and friends have zero interest in these movies. I can coax them into watching a few if it’s an original of a modern remake or if an older actor is in a modern movie they like. I’m not a movie aficionado. I don’t know the behind the scenes story of movies or actors so I come to the forums, the TCM website and watch the intro on TCM to learn these things. It’s very eye opening and entertaining and makes me appreciate the movie and actors more.

• Like 7

I’m a Millennial and I love classic movies but my brothers and friends have zero interest in these movies. I can coax them into watching a few if it’s an original of a modern remake or if an older actor is in a modern movie they like. I’m not a movie aficionado. I don’t know the behind the scenes story of movies or actors so I come to the forums, the TCM website and watch the intro on TCM to learn these things. It’s very eye opening and entertaining and makes me appreciate the movie and actors more.

Very nice to have you here, Miss J.

If you like movies from any particular time period, you'll always find some good ones every month on TCM.

August is a bit different as each day of the month is specialized on one actor. But September through July is a free for all, more or less.

Hope you enjoy.

Someone else here has the .sig of Lauren Bacall's quote that "There aren't any 'old' movies, there are just ones you haven't seen yet."

Which is PARTICULARLY true now that they're all on disk, The Great Movie Equalizer--

Used to be we sneered at "late night" movies when they were on TV, since that meant even the good ones were, eww, like, old, but now that, apart from TCM, we have to choose all our viewing, it involves knowing what to watch.  Nowadays, you pick up a movie because it looks interesting, or because you like the genre, year or actor.

And if you do have TCM, nothing like a little serendipity.

(And frankly, if they are snubbing old movies because the previous generation made some kind of mistake years ago, they would be much more deserving of the term "Millennial" than you would, you brave open-minded soul, you.)

• Like 1

Welcome to the boards Miss J. I'm a millennial too, albeit I'm really on the cusp between millennial and Gen X. Just watch what you like and don't worry about anyone else :-) the behind the scenes info will come as you immerse yourself more in classic film. I recommend reading the IMDb trivia and wikipedia page for new movies as you watch them. Granted, sometimes the info isn't 100% accurate but you can find out interesting facts that can be corroborated with other information. I say, always be willing to learn and don't be close minded to anything.

:-)

• Like 5