Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EugeniaH

What Brings You to This Site?

I recommend reading the IMDb trivia page for new movies as you watch them.

I do this all the time, especially after a movie I really like.

Welcome, Miss J. :)

• Like 3

Thank you for the kind welcome everyone. :)

I watch all genres but my weakest ones are Silent, Westerns and Musicals (unless they’re Disney animated or Bob Hope and Bing Crosby road trip movies) but I’m getting better at giving these genres a chance. I can watch Gene Kelly all day.  :D ​ I did see many Fred Astaire movies for SUTS last year and was blown away by his and Ginger Rogers’ dancing.

You’re right my brothers and friends don’t like movies on TCM because they’re considered old, it’s in black and white, the special effects are bad or there are none at all. Sigh. :( ​ I’m glad I never looked at movies that way. I would miss out on a lot of good movies.

August is my favorite month on TCM. I like Star of the Month and Spotlight features the most. I LOVED Summer of Darkness last year.

• Like 4

a33d770dce8074f26da483b032a9cc31.jpg

"Ah, I see glasshopper wise beyond her years here."

Thank you for the kind welcome everyone. :)

I watch all genres but my weakest ones are Silent, Westerns and Musicals (unless they’re Disney animated or Bob Hope and Bing Crosby road trip movies) but I’m getting better at giving these genres a chance. I can watch Gene Kelly all day.  :D ​ I did see many Fred Astaire movies for SUTS last year and was blown away by his and Ginger Rogers’ dancing.

You’re right my brothers and friends don’t like movies on TCM because they’re considered old, it’s in black and white, the special effects are bad or there are none at all. Sigh. :( ​ I’m glad I never looked at movies that way. I would miss out on a lot of good movies.

August is my favorite month on TCM. I like Star of the Month and Spotlight features the most. I LOVED Summer of Darkness last year.

I'm not very well versed in the silent films either.  I really only watch Westerns when there is someone appearing in the film that I like (e.g. Errol Flynn).  I love musicals though.  As long as they're the musicals that feature dancing.  The all-singing ones, like South Pacific, I find very dull.  I love Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire too.  I could watch them both dance all day.  My favorite Gene Kelly musical is probably Singin' in the Rain but On the Town comes in a close second.  With Astaire, I actually haven't seen all ten of his films that he made with Ginger Rogers, but of the ones I have seen, my favorite was Top Hat.  With Astaire sans Rogers, my favorite of his films are Easter Parade and You Were Never Lovelier.  

I would say that it is unfortunate that your brothers and friends are so narrow-minded when it comes to film.  I wouldn't let that stop you.  It's their loss that they're missing out on so many wonderful films because they lack color or aren't CGI'ed within an inch of their lives. It'll come to a point with new films where you won't even need real people.  You could create an entire film on a computer.  It's even getting to the point where they can make older actors look younger using CGI.  I'm going to pitch a fit though if they start bringing back old Hollywood stars via CGI and star them in new films.  I don't need to see a new Humphrey Bogart film, unless it happened to be a previously lost (but now found!) film that Bogart himself made.  Keep watching TCM and classic film :-) 

Summer of Darkness was excellent.  That was such a fun series.  I'm still watching the films from that series that I recorded.  I went a little insane and recorded almost everything except for the films I had already seen and/or owned. I hope they do another series like that again. 

• Like 1

Silent's a hard one to get someone hooked on--Just this month I'd tried to get a family-member other to watch more silents with the "starter kit" of the 1940 sound Chaplin-narrated "The Gold Rush", the 1984 Giorgio Moroder-scored "Metropolis" (I say it's better than that dreary Ultimate restoration!), and the Carl Davis Scheherazade-scored 1924 "The Thief of Bagdad", but they were only interested in the latter.

And it was hard for me to adjust from Kelly to Astaire, too, but they're both good in their own field--I'd recommend their teamup in Ziegfeld Follies, if the rest of the movie wasn't such a slog to get through.

The best way to break out of Millennial Apathy is to see how many of the AFI 100 films you can at least identify, just for bragging rights.

Or, failing that, how many you can spot from the old TCM "100 Years of Movies" short (do they still show that?).  You can tell a Millennial he should know something and he won't pay attention, but prove to him he doesn't know something, and you throw down a gauntlet.  

speedracer5

I would say that it is unfortunate that your brothers and friends are so narrow-minded when it comes to film.  I wouldn't let that stop you.  It's their loss that they're missing out on so many wonderful films because they lack color or aren't CGI'ed within an inch of their lives. 

One of the reasons producers remade Clash of the Titans (apart from trying to beat that unmade Brett Ratner "God of War" movie to the punch) was that an entire generation--apart from not knowing that any other Ray Harryhausen movies existed before 1981--is convinced that the original Clash was "embarrassed" that it couldn't use CGI effects yet, and "hoped we wouldn't notice" that the monsters were stop motion, because, like, everything was old-fashioned back then.

:angry:

The 1963 "Jason & the Argonauts" begs to differ on both points.

• Like 2

Silent's a hard one to get someone hooked on--Just this month I'd tried to get a family-member other to watch more silents with the "starter kit" of the 1940 sound Chaplin-narrated "The Gold Rush", the 1984 Giorgio Moroder-scored "Metropolis" (I say it's better than that dreary Ultimate restoration!), and the Carl Davis Scheherazade-scored 1924 "The Thief of Bagdad", but they were only interested in the latter.

And it was hard for me to adjust from Kelly to Astaire, too, but they're both good in their own field--I'd recommend their teamup in Ziegfeld Follies, if the rest of the movie wasn't such a slog to get through.

The best way to break out of Millennial Apathy is to see how many of the AFI 100 films you can at least identify, just for bragging rights.

Or, failing that, how many you can spot from the old TCM "100 Years of Movies" short (do they still show that?).  You can tell a Millennial he should know something and he won't pay attention, but prove to him he doesn't know something, and you throw down a gauntlet.  

One of the reasons producers remade Clash of the Titans (apart from trying to beat that unmade Brett Ratner "God of War" movie to the punch) was that an entire generation--apart from not knowing that any other Ray Harryhausen movies existed before 1981--is convinced that the original Clash was "embarrassed" that it couldn't use CGI effects yet, and "hoped we wouldn't notice" that the monsters were stop motion, because, like, everything was old-fashioned back then.

Hi, I think you're probably the only other one on here I have seen that has recently said anything about the 1984 Giorgio Moroder version of Metropolis.  That one is quite a bit shorter, so it kind of functions as a highlight reel with really cool music.  I have both on DVD, and have thought about how interesting it would be if the two companies got together and combined the music from both.  Leave the custom 1980s pop music in the exact scenes where Georgio Moroder put them, and then round it out with the Wagnerian-sounding music of the 2010 version, in the scenes which don't exist on the 1984 version.  Be sure to alternate the genres of music for the repetitive exterior scenes of the city and tower.  That would break it up and make it more musically interesting.

• Like 1

EricJ--To your silent "starter kit" I'd add these films:

"The Lost World" (1925)--Willis O'Brien special effects presage the work he did on 1933's "King Kong".

"The Phantom of the Opera"  (1925)--Lon Chaney Sr.'s most accessible horror film OR "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" (1919)--your preference.

"The Patsy" (1928)--Two of the Silent Era's best female comics, Marie Dressler and Marion Davies, are teamed here.

Something with The Keystone Kops--your choice.

Good "starter" list.

• Like 1

I wondered if Kelly and Astaire made a movie together. The only time I saw dance together was for one of the That’s Entertainment movies I saw earlier this year. Last year was the last time I saw ‘100 years of Movies’. Haven’t tried the AFI film test. Will try that. Thanks.

Didn’t know that about the recent Clash of the Titans. That’s ridiculous but it shows how out of touch Hollywood is. My brother visited me when Clash of the Titans was playing on TCM. He asked why it was on TCM because it wasn’t that old :) ​and he prefers the 1981 version and not the recent one.

"Ah, I see glasshopper wise beyond her years here."

Thank you but I have to give credit to my parents. I’m the youngest of five and the only girl so I stuck close to Mom growing up and through her that’s how I started watching classic movies and my Dad had me record a lot of movies for him when he was at work. He’d ask me about the movie or he’d want me to watch the movie again with him. Looking back, it was good bonding and I have a lot of fond memories of that. I had dropped off during high school and college. I would watch a few movies a year then but in recent years I’ve become a daily watcher and DVR is a godsend. BTW, where is that screenshot from?

I'm not very well versed in the silent films either.  I really only watch Westerns when there is someone appearing in the film that I like (e.g. Errol Flynn).  I love musicals though.  As long as they're the musicals that feature dancing.  The all-singing ones, like South Pacific, I find very dull.  I love Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire too.  I could watch them both dance all day.  My favorite Gene Kelly musical is probably Singin' in the Rain but On the Town comes in a close second.  With Astaire, I actually haven't seen all ten of his films that he made with Ginger Rogers, but of the ones I have seen, my favorite was Top Hat.  With Astaire sans Rogers, my favorite of his films are Easter Parade and You Were Never Lovelier.  

I would say that it is unfortunate that your brothers and friends are so narrow-minded when it comes to film.  I wouldn't let that stop you.  It's their loss that they're missing out on so many wonderful films because they lack color or aren't CGI'ed within an inch of their lives. It'll come to a point with new films where you won't even need real people.  You could create an entire film on a computer.  It's even getting to the point where they can make older actors look younger using CGI.  I'm going to pitch a fit though if they start bringing back old Hollywood stars via CGI and star them in new films.  I don't need to see a new Humphrey Bogart film, unless it happened to be a previously lost (but now found!) film that Bogart himself made.  Keep watching TCM and classic film :-) 

Summer of Darkness was excellent.  That was such a fun series.  I'm still watching the films from that series that I recorded.  I went a little insane and recorded almost everything except for the films I had already seen and/or owned. I hope they do another series like that again. 

Even though they don’t get it, they do respect I love these movies and don’t mock me for it. I did have friends who did but I let them go. Not because of the movies but they were always negative people. For Antman and I think the Tron remake, it made sense why they used CGI to make Michael Douglas and Beau Bridges younger. Other than that, I’m not sure if it’s a good idea. There’s already CGI concerts of dead musicians, I wouldn’t be shocked if a CGI movie of a deceased actor is released but it’ll be too creepy for me. Sadly this is something actors may have to put in their will so their family won’t use their image to make money like this after their death.

• Like 2

I have to echo many of the commenters who said they came to share in this unique forum because:

1.  Of others here who have the same love - and the commenters who've said they don't come into contact with people like the members here who share the love.  Like others, I haven't found that common in everyday life.  In my case very uncommon for fellow men I've know .. my age, older, younger doesn't matter.  Many many people are just not interested in " B/W " movies.

2.  I also like to read others thoughts and opinions about classics I've see or have yet to see - because I've never found another place to get this elsewhere

3.  I love to 'discover' movies I've never heard of or have heard of and not watched but go on to watch them based on others comments, reviews, and or analysis.

I read way more than I comment but am here fairly often, especially when I have time to watch several movies or a favorite actor gets a day to themselves and I'm able to enjoy many of them.  

I'd probably comment a lot more than I do if the forum software was run differently but I know many disagree with my opinion on that.  It's just that after fighting through reading this multi page thread back to front (and I did enjoy reading this one and many others very much so I do it) I'm usually to beat up to want to post much LOL.

• Like 3

I wondered if Kelly and Astaire made a movie together. The only time I saw dance together was for one of the That’s Entertainment movies I saw earlier this year. Last year was the last time I saw ‘100 years of Movies’. Haven’t tried the AFI film test. Will try that. Thanks.

Ziegfeld Follies, 1946

BTW, where is that screenshot from?

a33d770dce8074f26da483b032a9cc31.jpg

Kung Fu TV series from the 70's.  

• Like 1