Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It could only happen in the movies

Kid Dabb

linkback to similar thread

Another Dawn (1937)

Kay Francis and Errol Flynn.. a relationship that could only happen in the movies..?

Here's a woman who's lifestyle was pretty much avoiding heterosexual men, and here she is paired with Errol Flynn.. whom I remember in my mind as being quite the opposite. Of course, I haven't read any of their official biographies.. so maybe I speak uninformed.

I think she had a lot of gay male friends. But a woman who gets married five times is also going to spend time with straight men, too. :)

Based on my own personal experience many heterosexual women that hang out with gay men have had very bitter divorces (often more than one) and are therefore very jaded as it relates to heterosexual men.   e.g. my bro-in-law who is gay;  90% of his female friends fall into this category.   When my wife and I get together with this group we are known as the perfect couple since we have maintained a solid marriage for 19 years.      These gals are always saying they wish they could find a man like me (little do they know,  ha ha!), and are negative about dating or having another relationship (all have openly stated they have given up).    My point being they don't mix well with heterosexual men because they are so bitter.   If some divorced heterosexual men show up the battles begin.   After a few drinks there is a lot of verbal sparing.

Hey, I'm not saying this applies to Kay,  but as you noted 5 divorces might make one jaded.

• Like 1

Based on my own personal experience many heterosexual women that hang out with gay men have had very bitter divorces (often more than one) and are therefore very jaded as it relates to heterosexual men.   e.g. my bro-in-law who is gay;  90% of his female friends fall into this category.   When my wife and I get together with this group we are known as the perfect couple since we have maintained a solid marriage for 19 years.      These gals are always saying they wish they could find a man like me (little do they know,  ha ha!), and are negative about dating or having another relationship (all have openly stated they have given up).    My point being they don't mix well with heterosexual men because they are so bitter.   If some divorced heterosexual men show up the battles begin.   After a few drinks there is a lot of verbal sparing.

Hey, I'm not saying this applies to Kay,  but as you noted 5 divorces might make one jaded.

You have fairly described the situation I was alluding to with Kay Francis.

And Kay Francis didn't have kids and had no heirs when she died, so she probably just decided to chalk up her losses and call it a day.

Crawford also had a lot of gay male friends...and she was married four times, dying alone.

Many things could fall under the heading of this thread, I do not mean to dwell on the previous example. 

e.g., cowboys who shoot 12 bullets from their six-shooter...  only in the movies

One that gets me is when we see a fire, tornado or some natural disaster-- and supposedly the set is destroyed. But then the same pieces of furniture show up in another movie or TV series made by the same studio. 

Many things could fall under the heading of this thread, I do not mean to dwell on the previous example. 

e.g., cowboys who shoot 12 bullets from their six-shooter...  only in the movies

I'm not a gun person, as in someone who owns and uses firearms frequently, and has memorized all of the styles and makes from all over the world, etc.

That being said, gun flubs in film and TV always stick out like a sore thumb to me. Firing way past the ammo limit without reloading is one. People who continuously use the slide on a pump-action shotgun is another. I know the sound is neat-o and everything, but it's absurdly overdone.

One film I watched recently, Kill Me Again, made one of the more glaring firearm errors. First we see a close up shot of a woman loading a .45 automatic handgun. The next shot, she's leaning out of a car window firing a large revolver at her pursuers. When she sits back down in the car, she's holding the .45 automatic again.  :huh:

I always love how, no matter how popular the club is, they can park right at the front door. Don't have to lock up or take the keys. Then when they have to go chase someone, they go right there and "boom" they are off !

There are whole parts of town I don't visit because there is no parking. 

Middle class folks with maids \ cooks \ servants.     Ok, some appeared to have an income that was above middle class but based on the husband's job not well off enough to have hired help (and often it was 27\7 help).      In addition the wife didn't work (that was also a no-no) so what did she need a maid or cook for?     

I believe these folks were there to provide comic relief or in a drama, so the wife could vocalize what she was thinking to someone instead of having voice over narration.

RAISINETTES! A little freakin' three and a half ounce box of RAISINETTES I tell ya for SIX FREAKIN' BUCKS!!!!!

Oh...wait. You said "only IN the movies", not "only AT the movies", huh.

(...sorry...never mind then, Kid...those prepositions always did throw me for a loop, ya know)

;)

There was a thread like this a couple of years ago.  Glad you "revived" the idea.

"It Lives Again" (1978) a single guy, Frank Davis armed only a pistol and ALL the law enforcement in the hospital and surrounding the area  couldn't prevent him from taking Jody out..  Try that in real life!

Oh yes the delivery room had a gun along with medical instruments.

There was a thread like this a couple of years ago.  Glad you "revived" the idea.

"It Lives Again" (1978) a single guy, Frank Davis armed only a pistol and ALL the law enforcement in the hospital and surrounding the area  couldn't prevent him from taking Jody out..  Try that in real life!

Oh yes the delivery room had a gun along with medical instruments.

I think I know the thread of which you speak. ...car tires squealing on dirt roads or wet pavement.. like that. When I find that I'll place a link here to linkback - connecting the two.

I was actually after a different approach with this thread but I, myself, turned it around with the six-gun example.

I found the other thread -

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/94790-things-people-do-in-movies-that-they-dont-do-in-real-life/&do=findComment&comment=1269340

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings