Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One Redeeming Factor

CaveGirl

I often will start to watch a movie, and plan to turn it off and then it will have one minor reason why I will continue watching, even though in general I'm not interested at all.

For example, I decided to watch "The Desert Song" from 1953 because I wanted to hear the Sigmund Romberg score, but then when it started as much as I like Gordon MacRae I found him swathed in sword and sandal attire so ridiculous I had my fingers on the off button.

Then I was stopped mid-movement by a character to the side of MacRae who looked like a combination of Charles Middleton and Christopher Lee. He was menacing and steely-eyed and very authentic looking and was mesmerizing. I thought to myself, "Who is that?"

I could not take my eyes off him. Kathyrn Grayson is singing about being in Paris, Raymond Massey is checking out his harem, the whole shebang was a silly melange of abstruse items that supposedly symbolized desert life, but the only really good thing to watch was this character, called Mindar.

Now don't get me wrong, Gordon sounded fine, Kathryn is lovely, Ray is a good actor and even Steve Cochran is fun to watch, but if not for Mindar I would have turned this dreck off. I found out that it was played by Frank DeKova and then of course realized I've seen him many times but just didn't recognize him in this get-up.

But again, he was the one redeeming factor that made me watch the whole film.

Name a film you would not otherwise have watched, if not for that one redeeming factor that drew you in.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings