Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Sterile Coup-Coup

CaveGirl

The thing I liked best about this film, is that it can never have a sequel called "The Son of the Sterile Cuckoo".

Comments?

The Coup-Coup spelling is spy language and hidden code meaning for those who would like to take over the message board.

My President of Vice has been chosen and it is Dargo.

• Like 1

Rather than indulge self-conscious cult-of-poster jokes, I'll just say that the Sandpipers singing "Come Saturday Morning" is the very soul and essence of Muzak.   :)

(On a personal note, I remember when Muzak stations were on the radio as a kid, and my mom tried putting it on the sleep timer as a way of getting to sleep, since the station had a nice ocean-atmosphere ID tag of waves and ships-bells.

Didn't work, since I didn't turn it low enough and spent too much time listening, and grew up with an accidental appreciation for Muzak.  I'm one of the only people I know with Mantovani on my iPod.  And the Sandpipers.)

• Like 2

(On a personal note, I remember when Muzak stations were on the radio as a kid, and my mom tried putting it on the sleep timer as a way of getting to sleep, since the station had a nice ocean-atmosphere ID tag of waves and ships-bells.

Didn't work, since I didn't turn it low enough and spent too much time listening, and grew up with an accidental appreciation for Muzak.  I'm one of the only people I know with Mantovani on my iPod.  And the Sandpipers.)

Aaaah...the easy listening strains of "Come Saturday Morning" from THE STERILE CUCKOO. I remember it well. The year 1969, and when another little easy listening ditty made the Top-40 play list from another movie released that same year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m-3SgRKnB0

(...funny how these little tunes don't seem to be heard much anymore over the airwaves like say, "Born to be Wild" from that very same year's EASY RIDER, ain't it?!...well, maybe not THAT funny, anyway)

I remember watching the Oscars that year. I was a teenager and went to the movies a lot. Though I loved Liza and The Sterile Cuckoo (great film for a romantic teenage gay boy) I was thrilled that Maggie Smith won -- I remember thinking, at last someone won who deserved it.

But...but.. I still find the winning song from that year revolting! I would have preferred "Come Saturday Morning" or "Jean," but what did we get? "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head!" I hate that song. It reminded me of a few years earlier, when that inane song, "Call Me Irresponsible" won over the lovely "More" from Mondo Cane.

• Like 2

Finding Steve McQueen's character of Junior Bonner to be an ultimate wimp--at forty he's still trying to win the affection of the daddy who cares nothing whatever for him--I once said that "He could take masculinity lessons from Wendell Burton in The Sterile Cuckoo."

I would have preferred "Come Saturday Morning" or "Jean," but what did we get? "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head!"

Jean, Jean

Roses are green.

Well, at least that rhymes. (Sorry, I don't care much for that song.)

Rather than indulge self-conscious cult-of-poster jokes, I'll just say that the Sandpipers singing "Come Saturday Morning" is the very soul and essence of Muzak.   :)

Back in the '70's( and for many years prior) there was a radio station( both AM and FM) called WJOI that played that type of "easy listening" fare.  I found it effective for putting it on my kid's radio at bedside, and on a timer, whenever my kids were not feeling well at bedtime to help THEM get to sleep.  My older daughter, back then, whenever not feeling good("tummyache" or some other non serious malady) would ask me to "Put the radio on the BORING music station."  :D

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings