Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cathy or Kenton

Emotioal triggers in "The Snake Pit" and "Gaslight."....

I just watched "Snake Pit" and found a few scenes (like the one before Virginia was committed) hitting close to home. I was not able to sit through "Gaslight" because I was dealing with a boss who seemed just like Boyer. I heard that "gaslighting" is a term used in some abuse cases.

Do you ever see certain movies --- or can't watch certain movies because they hit too close.

...hitting close to home.

Yep. I remember the first time I watched THE APARTMENT on television in the early-'70s and how I so related to Jack Lemmon's C.C. Baxter, because at the time I too was crazy for a fellow office co-worker who I would discover was having an affair with our already married boss.

And like Baxter, I too would find myself consoling her after their breakup, and we ended up dating and then living together...for a few years anyway. 

(...still love this film though and have probably watched it a dozen times or more since then, and so I have no problem with watching it at all...in fact, I often refer to it as my second favorite movie of all time...Wilder was a genius)

• Like 4

I wonder if certain movies trigger flashbacks or PTSD -- for example, if war movies trigger PTSD. It could be something as innocent as seeing a certain breed of dog.

I just remember watching Ingrid in Gaslight, and feeling it happen to me. I got the same creepy tingle watching a Snake Pit scene. I was able to watch it twice this week.

...... THE APARTMENT 

.....(...still love this film though and have probably watched it a dozen times or more since then, and so I have no problem with watching it at all...in fact, I often refer to it as my second favorite movie of all time...Wilder was a genius)

You and DownGoesFrazer.

• Like 1

I wonder if certain movies trigger flashbacks or PTSD -- for example, if war movies trigger PTSD. It could be something as innocent as seeing a certain breed of dog.

I just remember watching Ingrid in Gaslight, and feeling it happen to me. I got the same creepy tingle watching a Snake Pit scene. I was able to watch it twice this week.

Interesting post, and I don't think we've ever really had a thread like this before. So you're covering new ground here.

Keep in mind that scenes in movies can also have the opposite effect. Instead of triggering PTSD, they can also create warm, nostalgic feelings too. Film itself has the power to move us, and it serves as a catalyst in dealing with all kinds of feelings.

Last night I watched a Madeleine Carroll movie from 1939 and a few of her crying scenes had a strangely profound effect on me. Then I realized it was because her character was dealing with something that I had dealt with a few years ago. I had dropped those issues and continued on with my life. But still, the performance and images on screen were helping me deal with it again and put it into a new context. Make sense?

Interesting post, and I don't think we've ever really had a thread like this before. So you're covering new ground here.

Keep in mind that scenes in movies can also have the opposite effect. Instead of triggering PTSD, they can also create warm, nostalgic feelings too. Film itself has the power to move us, and it serves as a catalyst in dealing with all kinds of feelings.

Last night I watched a Madeleine Carroll movie from 1939 and a few of her crying scenes had a strangely profound effect on me. Then I realized it was because her character was dealing with something that I had dealt with a few years ago. I had dropped those issues and continued on with my life. But still, the performance and images on screen were helping me deal with it again and put it into a new context. Make sense?

How true. I cannot count the movies that comfort me.

I guess another reason "The Snake Pit" made me feel uneasy is that I had just visited my mom at a place with many dementia patients. The scenes in the wards are what I sometimes see there (though the patients are well cared for).

• Like 1

How true. I cannot count the movies that comfort me.

I guess another reason "The Snake Pit" made me feel uneasy is that I had just visited my mom at a place with many dementia patients. The scenes in the wards are what I sometimes see there (though the patients are well cared for).

Thanks for sharing your personal connection to these classic films.

In an earlier post, you asked about getting a duplicate post deleted. I think you can click 'report' and then in the message box, tell the mod it's a duplicate post, and he/she will remove it.

Yep. I remember the first time I watched THE APARTMENT on television in the early-'70s and how I so related to Jack Lemmon's C.C. Baxter,

You mean you're not Sheldrake in real life?

j/k

• Like 2

Do you ever see certain movies --- or can't watch certain movies because they hit too close. 

A question?

Maybe "identifying" with a movie is the key to becoming emotionally involved. I actually like GASLIGHT because Boyer reminds me of an abuser I had dealt with....and like me, Bergman triumphs over his manipulation.

(thankfully I had a therapist who simply asked, "...and you BELIEVE him? Why?")

Early in our relationship, I showed MrTiki CLASH BY NIGHT mainly for MM's standout and the basic sordid story. He became visibly angry during the film and rushed out of my house once it was over.

Even though we had both been cheated on by our respective spouses, I thought he'd like the idea of the redemption part of the story. He was flabbergasted Douglas took Stanwyck back (as I was too) but it actually angered him. 

We joke about it now and he actually wants to see the movie again to see if his reaction would be different now...time is such an emotional healer.

I think most well written stories illustrated by good acting can pull us in emotionally, even if we'd never been in the same situation. Certainly we've never been "on the run" from gangsters, but we can feel the panic or entrapment  emoted in those type of movies.

I had watched "Gaslight" often. But, the last time it was on (OETA Movie Club), I couldn't sit through certain scenes. May next time. Great thriller.