Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Palm Beach Story isn't watchable

JeanneCrain

This is one good movie I've been saving for a rainy day - haven't seen most of it.

I did catch the ending today. Just when it was revealed there were ... twins! - right before the triple wedding finale.

Every time I see Joel McCrea in one of his earlier films, I always think how much better suited he was to them than to all those dry westerns he couldn't live without. Joel was great at rom-coms.

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity...was the whole thing unwatchable, or just certain parts?  I recorded it but haven't had a chance to watch it through yet.  I did spot-check it for consistency and the bits I saw here and there looked fine.  Just wondering since two viewers (James and Jeanne) had the same experience with the same exact airing.

Like this movie but unable to watch with all the jitters :(

Were you doing the jittering or was it the channel???

It is one of the best comedies ever made. Makes one wonder what happened with Preston Sturges after his run of so many successful films then so little after he hooked up with Howard Hughes.

Due to the jitters, which were not on my tv screen that means you missed Geraldine meeting the Wienie King in the bathtub, her dancing with members of the Ale and Quail Club, her clothes buying spree with Snoodles and his serenading her under her balcony, Mr. McGlue's dancing with Princess Mary Astor and her digs to Toto, the airport deal and then the revelation of extra embryos which solved all the romantic problems.

Too bad you missed all that!

Makes one wonder what happened with Preston Sturges after his run of so many successful films then so little after he hooked up with Howard Hughes.

Being a raging alcoholic probably had something to do with it.

Cold are the hands of time that creep along relentlessly, destroying slowly but without pity that which yesterday was young. Alone our memories resist this disintegration and grow more lovely with the passing years. Heh! That's hard to say with false teeth!

It's also slow to type with two fingers!

Funny...

I've noticed this thread around for a few days and I kind of assumed that your definition of "unwatchable" came from the scene on the train where William Demarest and his crazy bunch of gun-toting pals are taking aim at the black bartender in the drink car.

I actually have a pretty broad sense of humor, but every time I see that scene it gets more and more disturbingly uncomfortable for me: it is not funny in the least bit.

Honestly though: i love MORGANS CREEK and i think CONQUERING HERO and MCGINTY and SULLIVANS TRAVELS are brilliant, but thanks, you can have PALM BEACH.

I've never particularly liked it and I like it a little less each time I see it.

• Like 2

Funny...

I've noticed this thread around for a few days and I kind of assumed that your definition of "unwatchable" came from the scene on the train where William Demarest and his crazy bunch of gun-toting pals are taking aim at the black bartender in the drink car.

I actually have a pretty broad sense of humor, but every time I see that scene it gets more and more disturbingly uncomfortable for me: it is not funny in the least bit.

Honestly though: i love MORGANS CREEK and i think CONQUERING HERO and MCGINTY and SULLIVANS TRAVELS are brilliant, but thanks, you can have PALM BEACH.

I've never particularly liked it and I like it a little less each time I see it.

I never got the idea that they were aiming at him at all, Lorna.

The club car windows were getting shot out, because they were having him heave up the target things and then they would shoot at them and unfortunately the windows were behind the flying items.

Now t'is true the Ale and Quail Club group are pretty raucous and act like drunken fools but I don't think they had intent for a lynching or murder, other than to murder a few dozen bottles of liquor.

Claudette was in more danger from them than that poor bartender methinks.

I never got the idea that they were aiming at him at all, Lorna.

The club car windows were getting shot out, because they were having him heave up the target things and then they would shoot at them and unfortunately the windows were behind the flying items.

Now t'is true the Ale and Quail Club group are pretty raucous and act like drunken fools but I don't think they had intent for a lynching or murder, other than to murder a few dozen bottles of liquor.

Claudette was in more danger from them than that poor bartender methinks.

Well, I'll also add that I grew up around guns and have a good deal of familiarity with them, and anyone who knows guns knows what you're supposed to do with them and what you're NOT supposed to do with them.

What Demarest and his friends do is just plain and simply unacceptable: be it in 1942, 1902, 1982 or 2022: whenever.

( I also add intent has diddly-squat to do with it, had they shot and killed somebody: that is manslaughter.)

They are a bunch of idiots who should have gone to jail for about five years apiece and lost their rights to hunt and own a weapon for life.

And again, I think those of you who know me know I have a pretty decent sense of humor, and believe it or not: I have respect for people who love guns AND understand the responsibilities that come with using and owning them SAFELY.)

I'm telling you anybody who knows anything about guns wants to jump through the screen and give each one of those guys a serious butt whooping every time that ssene comes on.

It is NOT cool, and it is NOT FUNNY.

• Like 1

Sorry to be all Fire Marshall Bill about this, but two more things to add:

1. Do not ever ever ever discharge a weapon in a confined space, or quite frankly indoors. (Ranges excepted.)

2. If these guys are quail hunting in the 1940s then I'm thinking they're using guns loaded with buckshot. That means that they send a spray of tiny pellets that covers an area about a yard across.

Honestly, there is absolutely nothing to be proud of for hitting a Target at close range with buckshot.

Ray Charles could hit whatever is up in the air in those circumstances.

1. Do not ever ever ever discharge a weapon in a confined space, or quite frankly indoors. (Ranges excepted.)

2. If these guys are quail hunting in the 1940s then I'm thinking they're using guns loaded with buckshot. That means that they send a spray of tiny pellets that covers an area about a yard across.

Honestly, there is absolutely nothing to be proud of for hitting a Target at close range with buckshot.

"Fire Marshall Bill"!

LOL

No Lorna, BUT I gotta say what with all the "gun safety" talk here, I don't think I've ever seen you so, well...BUTCH!!! ;)

(...and a whole new side of you I never knew!)

LOL

• Like 1

And btw Lorna, I DO know what you're saying about TPBS, as that train scene is absolutely outrageous, and I too have always had a hard time appreciating the film as a whole.

(...guess I've always thought the basic premise and how it plays out is just a little "too screwy" even for a screwball comedy)

• Like 1

I thought the OP meant the movie itself wasn't watchable, as in, she thought it was so bad or confusing or annoying she found it impossible to watch.

If it was just some technical problem, with either the print copy or the station, then that doesn't really need a whole thread about it, because it was just a temporary and /or technical issue that has nothing to do with the Preston Sturges film.  (sorry Jeanne Crain, I don't intend to be rude.)

Come to think of it, although I sometimes like Preston Sturges, sometimes I don't. And The Palm Beach Story is an example of when I don't. I like madcap comedies, and the celebration of chaos in comedy as much as the next person (unless that next person is a humourless poe-face), but I just can't get with the program when it comes to TPBS.

It's just so frigging confusing !  

And if your the Vice President of the USA you can hit a close friend.   :blink:

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings