Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Souls For Sale

CaveGirl

I was excited to see this silent film on the schedule last nite. It starred Eleanor Boardman as an innocent thrown into the clutches of Hollywood, and how she survived.

Of course, after jumping off a moving train to escape her murderous hubby, played by Lew Cody maybe Tinseltown was not so frightening after all.

The storyline, though ostensibly about a newcomer's rise in the Hollywood pantheon, seemed really to be more about showing outsiders the inside scoop on Hollywood productions in progress. In that respect the film was fascinating showing Erich von Stroheim directing Jean Hersholt, and also bits with Chaplin directing Boardman in equine control and Fred Niblo at work.

The cast also supposedly had thirty-five stars featured, but the main cast had Barbara LaMarr, known as the star "too beautiful" for Hollywood, Richard Dix, Billy Haines, Dale Fuller from "Greed" and the bits with June Mathis [screenwriter extraordinaire], Zasu Pitts, and many others was fun to see. The film also starred Mae Busch who had a long and fruitful career in films and was a true original.

It was rather strange to see Boardman's murderous husband show up later, fully now in love with her enough to risk his life for hers, but still the film was beautifully shot with many tinted scenes and an interesting chronicle of early silent techniques and studio styles.

Watching Boardman I finally realized she could be the mother of actress, Teri Polo since they so resemble each other. Check it out if you don't believe me!

Anyone else watch?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings