Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Revenge movies

jakeem

I wish TCM Spotlight would focus on revenge movies somewhere down the line. No. 1 on my list would be "Get Carter," British director Mike Hodges' gritty 1971 revenge tale starring Sir Michael Caine. The drama stars Caine as the title character, a mob hitman from London who returns to his hometown of Newcastle -- in northeastern England -- to look into the mysterious death of his brother Frank. 

What revenge tales would you like to see again or for the first time on TCM?

• Like 3

I wish TCM Spotlight would focus on revenge movies somewhere down the line. No. 1 on my list would be "Get Carter," British director Mike Hodges' gritty 1971 revenge tale starring Sir Michael Caine. The drama stars Caine as the title character, a mob hitman from London who returns to his hometown of Newcastle -- in northeastern England -- to look into the mysterious death of his brother Frank. 

What revenge tales would you like to see again or for the first time on TCM?

I love revenge movies! Also ones with crimes of passion.

Great topic, so let's see I think I will recommend a famous but definitely rather drive-in B-movie, called "I Spit on Your Grave" with Camille Keaton. I think it is from the late 1970's.

It would be good on a double bill with "God Told Me To" which I know TCM has played already.

They could call it TCM Drive-In Nite!

NEVADA SMITH (1966)

MV5BMjI2NDI2OTIxOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTE3

And mostly because the guy on the right here's long quest to seek vengeance against his parent's murderers played by such great actors as Karl Malden and Martin Landau is quite a good ride.

(...oh and ah, the addition of the girl on the left here doesn't hurt the proceedings one bit either, of course)

Well, this isn't necessarily a "revenge movie," but the first that comes to mind is "Blues Brothers" because throughout the film, Carrie Fisher's character is continuously trying to explode, shoot, etc. John Belushi. 

96156_full.jpg

It's somewhat ludicrous, but it actually made me laugh. 

Fun Topic!

I've always felt 99% of "men's" movies are a long and winding road to revenge. Typically, once I realize that's the entire plot, I lose interest. 

What about 1987's THE PRINCESS BRIDE?

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

• Like 1

Well, this isn't necessarily a "revenge movie," but the first that comes to mind is "Blues Brothers" because throughout the film, Carrie Fisher's character is continuously trying to explode, shoot, etc. John Belushi. 

96156_full.jpg

It's somewhat ludicrous, but it actually made me laugh. 

It actually is a revenge film of sorts because beaucoup cops, a group of neo-Nazis and people from Bob's Country Bunker also are after Joliet Jake (Belushi) and Elwood Blues (Dan Aykroyd) for one reason or another!

There are numerous revenge films derived from great works of literature, including "Moby Dick." This 1956 version of Herman Melville's 1851 tale was directed by John Huston and starred Gregory Peck as Captain Ahab.

TCM did just last night show HANG 'EM HIGH which is a good revenge movie.

Mel Gibson's PAYBACK, although fairly recent(which is no longer an issue with members here) is a reworking of  POINT BLANK was done pretty well.

I suppose you could place AMADEUS on the "revenge" pile also.

I keep thinking of an addage said by KYE LUKE as Master Po in an episode of KUNG FU:---

"Revenge is like a water vessel with a hole.  It holds nothing but the promise of emptyness!" 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Set in the 1930s, "The Sting" (1973) is a clever revenge tale in which Johnny Hooker (Robert Redford) teams up with veteran con man Henry Gondorff (Paul Newman) to cause problems for a dangerous crime boss (Robert Shaw).

the-sting1.jpg

• Like 1

CAPE FEAR (either version)

In this case, instead of the usual story in which we're asked to root for or at the least identify with the revenge-seeker and hope he succeeds in his quest, this time we dread the thought of his success.

(...and because he's NUTS!)

• Like 2

THE VISIT (1964). Ingrid Bergman returns to the town of her youth, where she had been chased out in disgrace as a a pregnant teen. Now 20 years later, she is enormously wealthy, and offers the town One Million, and another million to divide among all the townspeople (the currency is never mentioned, nor the country). The only condition is that they kill Anthony Quinn, who got her pregnant, refused to marry her, and, at a paternity hearing, bribed other men to testify they slept with her. The town wants the money so they are faced.with a dilemma. Quite compelling.

PS.....it's on occasionally on FMC.

• Like 2

She-Devil (1989)--Roseanne Barr plays a wife who sets out to get revenge on her cheating husband, Ed Begley Jr., and his mistress, Meryl Streep.  I know this is not the most popular choice of movies but when a wife engineers a plan that involves blowing up a house and putting her husband in jail, I would call that a revenge movie.  

-She-Devil.jpg

• Like 1

She-Devil (1989)--Roseanne Barr plays a wife who sets out to get revenge on her cheating husband, Ed Begley Jr., and his mistress, Meryl Streep.  I know this is not the most popular choice of movies but when a wife engineers a plan that involves blowing up a house and putting her husband in jail, I would call that a revenge movie.  

The actual person seeking revenge was the producer of the film.   He got his revenge on Steep by convincing her to be in this film.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings