Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A movie about a most famous patient of Freud

dan.neumann

Hey everybody,

just wanted to share with you a project by a friend of mine. It's about Daniel Paul Schreber, the writer of one of the most detailed accounts of schizophrenia.

In the film, his biography is revisioned: instead of being transferred to the psychiatric facility where he would spend the next eight years of his life, he flees to America.

More information about the project here

What are your thoughts?

@CaveGirl Your comment is interesting, why do you think it ill advised? And why would it be better to alter the biography of someone whose life is told through Freud rather than someone who tells of his life autobiographically?

@LawrenceA Not sure you're in the right thread?

I want to see Daniel Day-Lewis in the Tiny Tim story. He needs to get really Method, and tiptoe through some actual tulips. I can count the Oscars already.

Yes, Lawrence it would be much more acceptable to change the life story of Herbert Khaury than any of Siggy's patients.

One could make the marriage with Miss Vicky work out better and they all live happily ever after with Tulip.

You are definitely in the right thread by the way.

Well personally, I'm not too crazy(wait, lemme rephrase that considering the subject matter here), ahem, I'm kind'a disappointed they haven't mentioned anything about another chapter of Mr. Recker's life...the part where once he reached Oregon, he started that thriving car towing service in Beaverton.

Uh-huh, and which he named "Recker's Wreckers", and carrying the slogan emblazoned across each truck in his fleet, "Service so nice, we named it twice..kind'a"

(...sorry...watching way too many Peabody and Sherman cartoons in one's youth will often result in this sort'a thing later on in life, ya know...wonder what Freud would've said about THAT?!)

• Like 1

Well personally, I'm not too crazy(wait, lemme rephrase that considering the subject matter here), ahem, I'm kind'a disappointed they haven't mentioned anything about another chapter of Mr. Recker's life...the part where once he reached Oregon, he started that thriving car towing service in Beaverton.

Uh-huh, and which he named "Recker's Wreckers", and carrying the slogan emblazoned across each truck in his fleet, "Service so nice, we named it twice..kind'a"

(...sorry...watching way too many Peabody and Sherman cartoons in one's youth will often result in this sort'a thing later on in life, ya know...wonder what Freud would've said about THAT?!)

That's Mister Peabody to you, Dargo!

Freud would say that you are using a cover memory that obscures the real reason for your post.

Or that you have phallic envy due to the many "phallacies" you post?

That's Mister Peabody to you, Dargo!

Freud would say that you are using a cover memory that obscures the real reason for your post.

Or that you have phallic envy due to the many "phallacies" you post?

Yep, that probably would've been Siggy's diagnosis of yours truly here alright, CG.

(...but then again as he ALSO was known to say: "Zumtimez za awful pun iz just za awful pun"...well, it some somethin' along those lines, anyway)

Well that got outta hand quickly.

Yep, it did. But tell me here Dan, as I seem to be a bit confused about this.

Is this film supposed to be some kind of "mockumentary" and lighthearted in nature, or more dramatic and serious? I seem a little lost with its premise, and maybe due to the fact they you yourself mentioned that its taken some liberties with Mr. Recker's actual story.

Yep, it did. But tell me here Dan, as I seem to be a bit confused about this.

Is this film supposed to be some kind of "mockumentary" and lighthearted in nature, or more dramatic and serious? I seem a little lost with its premise, and maybe due to the fact they you yourself mentioned that its taken some liberties with Mr. Recker's actual story.

The fault lies not with the post, but with the libation you are swilling, Dargo!

No more rotgut with sassafras while posting.

I totally understood the point of the original post. It is most certainly not a movie which will be going to eleven, or has anyone in it who died due to a bizarre gardening accident.

As it states in the project description that can be reached via the link I supplied, the film will in some ways be a mockumentary, without wanting to mock anyone or anything in particular. As the original text by Schreber is sometimes hilarious, sometimes saddening and sometimes uplifting, the film will try to recreate some of the "affective scenarios" found in the original work. But his book is also permeated by a deep sense of irony only sometimes visible that comes with, I guess, writing about one's own schizophrenia, making one's mind an object of science (Schrebers science that is). All of this should in some form or another appear in the re-imagining of Schrebers (or Reckers) life story.

• Like 1

A mockumentary which doesn't mock anyone or anything seems counterproductive.

Mockumentaries reach their pinnacle with "Mermaids The Body Found".  I thought Animal Planet and National Geographic suppose to be educational channels.  Has a lot of people,  feeling conned (and angry).  Took about a year for the producers to admit the whole thing was a hoax.  

Can't believe they made such a thing, such a movie made for the SyFy channel is one thing but doing this on these channels....

the producers need their heads examined. :angry: 

Mockumentaries reach their pinnacle with "Mermaids The Body Found".  I thought Animal Planet and National Geographic suppose to be educational channels.  Has a lot of people,  feeling conned (and angry).  Took about a year for the producers to admit the whole thing was a hoax.  

Can't believe they made such a thing, such a movie made for the SyFy channel is one thing but doing this on these channels....

the producers need their heads examined. :angry: 

Saw that show on the existence of mermaids and started laughing at the concept in the first minute and couldn't believe later that anyone was taken in. I guess the old saying that there's afool born every minute still is true. While I was in London the BBC produced many documentaries about things that did not exist as April Fool jokes and it is only Americans who would expect to have a preshow banner explaining to them that the show is a joke and not to be taken seriously. Duh!

While I was in London the BBC produced many documentaries about things that did not exist as April Fool jokes and it is only Americans who would expect to have a preshow banner explaining to them that the show is a joke and not to be taken seriously. Duh!

They might produce another one..."We're still in the E.U." ;)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings