Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

February 2007 schedule is up

lzcutter ,

Thanks so much for all your time in posting all you did. What a downer it is to know they do not own the films anymore :(

We will just have to try as best we can to enjoy the rare classics they do show and, just put up with the many ,many movies shown so much over and over.

"I wonder if February is one of the least or most watched months that TCM has?"

Isn't February one of the sweeps months? I wonder if viewership drops a bit as TCM watchers (not those on the board, of course) switch over to watch Scientologists jumping on Oprah's couch and members of the OC have babies with those on CSI: Miami (or whatever).

I wonder what classic movies would fit in with the theme of Sweeps? Certainly, Sunset Boulevard with the lendary screenstar going crazy and shooting her gigolo. And perhaps the politcal scandal of Norma Shearer's Marie Antoinette?

Thanks so much for all your time in posting all you did. What a downer it is to know they do not own the films anymore >>

Classicstarlet,

The good news is that the former TCM library is under the care of Warner Brothers, the one studio that best understands why their film library is important, not just to Time-Warner but to all of us who love film. Warners is taking the time to do the job right and if you look at the number of silent and studio era films they have released over the last few years (with such care, bonus material and great graphics), the former TCM library is in good hands.

This month doesn't look bad. Two Chaplin movies that I haven't seen. Stagecoach promised, yet again, though I doubt Canadians will get to see it. I've never got to see "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" or "The Best Years of our Lives." And I do get to see "2001," "Murder on the Orient Express" and "Chinatown."

Did someone say "The Bachelor Party"?? Not that cheesy 1980's pic with a young Tom Hanks and Tawny Kitaen, but Don Murray, Carolyn Jones (nominated for Best Supporting Actress for this one) Jack Warden, E.G. Marshall screenplay by Paddy Chayefsky, directed by Delbert Mann!

This movie is part of what I call the "Marty Trilogy". Now if hey would only show "Middle of the Night" with Frederic March and Kim Novack. This one is also not on DVD and hasn't been shown on tv for over 20 years!

If anyone is wondering, the schedule seems to be set up according to Oscar categories. I can tell right off the bat that the 5th and the 6th are Best Supporting Actor nominees and winners. There's a lot of character actors in that bunch of movies that I love.

lzcutter, your info seriously needs to be put at the top of this and every forum.

hlywdkjk, I can't help but think of Jerry Mcguire as anything BUT a Tom Cruise movie, especially since I was watching the news yesterday and they were talking about his new UA deal. They showed the clip of him screaming, "Show me the money!" like a loon and I had to flip the channel. He will always be Crazee Cruise to me.

And skimpole, you're in a treat if you've never seen "The Best Years of Our Lives." It's a fantastic movie with such great characters. It runs 3 hours, but they fly by pretty quick. I'm not sure if you've seen "Murder on the Orient Express", but oh my gosh, that's one of my all time favorites. I've seen it about 30 times in the past 2 years and I never get sick of it. In fact, I keep noticing new things everytime I watch it.

Also, I have to say that whoever writes out the lengthier descriptions for the new movies--you do an excellent job! I actually wanted to see "Men in Black" before I realized that it was the Will Smith movie and not some kind of cool sci-fi thing that I've never seen before.

I post this without any sarcasm. I just reread it and realized it sounded kind of snippy, so I just wanted to clarify myself.

Any shortcomings on the February schedule are forgivable with the awesome January slate before it. I think TCM is beginning to show more "atypical" films than some of the people in this thread are giving them credit for. A number of rarely seen and/or not-on-video Columbia films are already beginning to appear on the schedule, like the recently shown "Creature With the Atom Brain." January's schedule also seems to have a number of United Artists films that TCM likely had to lease from Sony, plus more Sony-owned Columbia films.

"The Goddess," on February's schedule, is available (legally) only on an extremely rare Columbia tape that was originally sold for $69.99. Columbia issued many films on video, such as "Zotz" and "The Hellstrom Chronicle," that were priced high for the rental-store market and never made available at "sell-through" prices for wider distribution. Films in this category, like the last two I've cited, are almost never telecast and are rarely issued on DVD. Long-story-short: "The Goddess" is anything but a "run-of-the mill" TCM film, and I suggest people tape it if they're at all interested in the cast or plot, as it could be a one-time-only airing for all we know.

Great post, lzcutter, but didn't you mean "pre-1949" Paramount films are controlled by Universal (except for some Hitchcock exceptions)? Seems like Paramount now controls only "The Miracle of Morgan's Creek" and silent films from its pre-1949 years. Two Paramount films at least, though, "Sorrowful Jones" and "The Heiress," were released in 1949 but have appeared on Universal home videos. Maybe the cut-off is pre-1950, as that year's "Sunset Blvd." is still with Paramount.

I didn't mention it here (I did so in another recent thread), but TCM has a Paramount package that they haven't even debuted yet. Even more leased films should begin turning up on TCM soon.

http://www.turnerinfo.com/newsitem.aspx?P=TCM&CID01=5ee12b36-3a9d-4e9a-829b-bfe30978b98a

"Ace in the Hole"/"The Big Carnival," airing on TCM in January, may be connected more with the Film Forum showing in New York and a possible DVD release than with the Paramount package. "The File on Thelma Jordon," "Union Station," and "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" are in this new package but haven't (I'm pretty sure) turned up yet and aren't on the TCM slate through March 3.

Wow, that's great. And I am so glad that Wings is in the package. I was just wondering why that didn't get in the listing for February's Oscar schedule but now looking at the article more closely I see it said films are to air in 2008. (lol, TCM feel free to use my faux Now Playing cover with Wings from the last Challenge. lol, I should only be so lucky.)

Dan,

Thanks for the heads up. TCMProgrammr posted here months ago that TCM was in negotiations with Paramount on some very long term rentals.

Glad to see we will begin seeing them soon!

Cannot wait for Ace in the Hole. It's been over thirty years since I have seen this classic.

Whoops--should have read that "2008" part of the Paramount news release in my link! The "Ace in the Hole" showing must be a separate deal after all.

Regarding upcoming TCM films, I notice a few Samuel Goldwyn titles along with the Columbia and UA films. These are likely leased (from Sony via its MGM purchase?), but it'd take a more veteran TCM viewer than I to tell whether these are TCM premieres or rebroadcasts.

Wow, that is awesome, awesome news. I never get sick of "Breakfast at Tiffany's". It always breaks my heart to see it butchered on AMC.

And "The Friends of Eddie Coyle" is a great movie. I saw it on HBO awhile back in the wee hours of the morning and loved it. There are so many great movies mentioned in that package: The Stepford Wives, Atlantic City, Once Upon a Time in the West, Wings (super, super excited to see this one) and Airplane! (I only hope that TCM can lease out the movie that inspired it, Zero Hour! as well. That would be so fantastic.) It's also great knowing TCM will probably show the letterboxed versions as well. I'd much rather see the stuff on this list than another Crazee Cruise movie.

filmlover, they should use your Now Playing cover! All they have to do it just fix the date and the other festivals. Presto--instant NP cover. ;)

My "Eddie Coyle" came from Cinemax, although it looks like HBO and Cinemax have stopped airing it for the time being, at least. I'd love to get a letterboxed version.

I'm still kicking myself for missing "Zero Hour!" when TCM aired it with "Airplane!" two or three years ago.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm torn on the 31 Days Of Oscar. On the one hand, I do like a lot of recent movies on the list. On the other hand, I feel sorry for the people who prefer older movies.

I think that a TCM2 might work. TCM2 would be a channel for movies from the 70s onwards. I know that we get that with the various HBO, Showtime and Starz!/Encore channels, but think about it. With a TCM2, you could get these movies not only uncensored, but in proper OAR as well. You could documentaries and promos in-between the movies just like on TCM, but they would be geared towards movies from the 70s onwards.

That way, there's a TCM for the "classic classic" fan and a TCM for the "modern classic" fan.

What do you think?

In theory it sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure how they could run two channels uncut and commercial free. And as a thought, is there really enough out there that qualifies that isn't already being shown on the other channels. Remember most of those are pay channels. I'd rather keep it as it is than move both of them to another level of cable.

For you newbies, do an archive search if that's possible -- you'll see that just like clockwork, this same complaint comes up every Oscar season --- too many new movies. TCM only has so many movies in their library and has to license others -- to fit the theme of the month they need to show newer stuff. The silents and older stuff return after the month is over.

by the way, HE WHO GETS SLAPPED was on not too many months back. watch for it at some point again..

> I didn't mention it here (I did so in another recent

> thread), but TCM has a Paramount package that they

> haven't even debuted yet. Even more leased films

> should begin turning up on TCM soon.

>

> http://www.turnerinfo.com/newsitem.aspx?P=TCM&CID01=5e

> e12b36-3a9d-4e9a-829b-bfe30978b98a

>

> "Ace in the Hole"/"The Big Carnival," airing on TCM

> in January, may be connected more with the Film Forum

> showing in New York and a possible DVD release than

> with the Paramount package. "The File on Thelma

> Jordon," "Union Station," and "The Friends of Eddie

> Coyle" are in this new package but haven't (I'm

> pretty sure) turned up yet and aren't on the TCM

> slate through March 3.

I was looking at that article and it mentioned that one of the titles that TCM will be getting from Paramount is "Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid". I thought that that was a 20th Century Fox title. Did the TV rights change hands over the course of the past several years?