Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crooner 'Toons and Other Hollywood Personalities

Before I even watched classic film, there were the great crooner tunes and Hollywood blasphemys featured in golden era cartoons. I don't know why, but these fascinated me so much. Then I actually started watching classic movies years later... And the vision was complete.

This December, Cartoon Alley highlights three crooner tunes dedicated to the mocking of Bing Crosby. I, as a huge Bing Crosby fan, eat this stuff up. I wish TCM would have a two hour special simply dedicated to the cartoons that feature the stars of the golden era. Cartoons like Tex Avery's monumental Hollywood Steps Out are like valued members of my list of favorite films... I think in the six and something minutes, these 'toons give us special insight into the subculture of classic Hollywood. We can never get that back, and I wish they would get more of the respect they diserve on Turner Classic's line-up. Give them at least two hours on Saturday mornings. People that really want to see them, I'm sure, would be more than happy to wake a little early!

bhf1940

• 2 months later...

I vaguely remember a cartoon with a quail singing to the chickens I think and they all screamed/fainted. Not sure if I'm imagining this, but I think there was also a young thin rooster with glases that no one payed attention to and when he sang, he wooed all the hens. lol I miss watching those cartoons.

There was a Porky Pig cartoon along the same lines where I think he brought in a parot that was Bing Crosby. This helped the hens lay more eggs. An enormous amount in fact.

I don't think it's the same one but there was also one where there was a kind of showing off between a Frank Sinatra and Crosby type to woo the hens.

I think I've seen both hen cartoons the two of you are talking about. I remember the one Chris is talking about for sure... I believe it was the one where a factory was trying to highten the egg laying production, so some large rooster was crooning to them. The plot was a bit all over the place... *lol*

I remember one with a small scrony rooster with glasses. It's been a while since I've seen them though! Boomerang (on Cartoon Network) used to play Toon Heads, but never had any new episodes... They hardly ever play it anymore. That was a great show, packed with info. Would be cool if Turner picked it up and played the re-runs.

• 2 months later...

March 25, 2007

The animated short featuring Bing Crosby singing to help Porky raise hen egg output is titled "Swooner Crooner." It was nominated for an Oscar. TCM occasionally airs it between films during the 31 Days of Oscar.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...