Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vittorio DeSica

I wish TCM would have a day of Italian Neo-Realist films or something. Vittorio DeSica is one of my favorite foreign directors. Those Italians really knew how to make good on tragic stories. DeSica's The Bicycle Thief is one of the best movies ive ever seen. non-actors filmed out on the street and showing the poverty and harsh time sin Italy after the war, it's really good stuff.

Does anyone else like him? Or how about Federico Fellini?

I've never been fan of foreign (non-U.S. or British) cin?ma, but I love Italian Neo-realism. The starkness, both visually and emotionally, is striking, and had an obvious influence on the evolution of all filmmaking in the post-World War II era, just as German Expressionism of the late 'Teens and Nineteen-twenties had the greatest impact on Hollywood movies of the 'Thirties and 'Forties (due, in no small measure, to the influx of Germanic film personnel to the U.S. during the rise of Fascism in Germany).