Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

new November promo

sugarpuss

Right before "Desk Set", I saw the new November promo. Anyone else catch it?

1. I love it. Love love love it. At first I thought it was just a promo for the Leading Men marathon, but when they shifted onto Lucy as Star of the Month, I realized it was a new monthly promo! I love the washed out look that was used throughout.

2. Does anyone know the song they used? It's fantastic. It sounds rather jazzy, but pop-ish. I looked on the TCM main page, but there's no link for the new promo yet.

3. Much better than the September one, and I kinda liked that one. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing it again and taping it, like I do with all the promos.

Also, I love the "TCM goes to the Dogs" short promos as well. Maybe it's because I'm a dog person, but I just adore those. They're so much fun to watch and the dogs are so adorable. So far I've seen two: Tarzan and Jeanette MacDonald. Are there anymore or are those the only two?

Hi sugarpuss -

I haven't seen the monthly promo yet but I have seen the two "living graffiti" promos and like them very much. Only caught the Jeanette MacDonald once but am looking forward to seeing it again soon.

I wonder if the inspiration came from the shop gates on Hollywood Blvd. Along Hollywood Blvd., many of the shops have those big, rolling metal security gates that come down when the stores close for the night. A local arts group took it upon itself to paint the doors with reproduction stills & headshots of classic film stars. It is a simple yet perfect enhancement to Hollywood Blvd. Just too bad these pieces of art don't sing or yell.

Kyle In Hollywood

I saw the promo this morning for the first time and meant to comment on it, but was in a rush to get out today. I love the easy transitios from leading men, to Lucy, to John Ford etc. Unfortunately, I don't like the music, but I can always turn the sound down.

Kyle, in the small suburb near where I live, the high school kids got together a few years ago, and painted all of the bus stop benches in classic hollywood art. Some of it is really fantastic and I hope they leave it for a long time. We have renditions of Marilyn, Clark, Stewart and many others. It's also very colorful as you drive down the main street of town.

Anne

Sugarpuss:

Probably everyone knows that I am paranoic about my fear of big dogs, but the fact still remains that I don't like to see animals hurt in any way. The way the dogs have to walk around on their hind feet... is this okay for them? Remember, these shorts were made long before the cruelty to animals laws existed, do you think any of them were harmed during filming? I know Rin, Tin, Tin and the Lassies were treated like people because they were such big stars, but what about these little unknowns? I guess I'm in a morbid mood, but I couldn't help thinking of these things while watching.

Anne

"Also, I love the "TCM goes to the Dogs" short promos as well. So far I've seen two: Tarzan and Jeanette MacDonald. Are there anymore or are those the only two?"

I've seen two others - one is from Lolita the other, I'm not sure if it's Bardot or not. So that makes it four all together so far...

And count me in... I think they're amazing, clever and extremely well done! Bravo to the person who came up with those.

Yancey

wallpromos.bmp

Message was edited by:

yanceycravat

do you think any of them were harmed during filming?

I'm sure they were, mrsl. Just as the horses in westerns were tripped with wire and broke their necks. Others you see going off a cliff were going off a cliff. Luckily I don't like westerns, as I cannot watch those types of scenes.

Althought the American Humane Society was established in 1877, I imagine there was no thought given in Hollywoodland to the cruelty towards the animals.

Just the money to be made from them.

mrsl wrote -

...I don't like to see animals hurt in any way. The way the dogs have to walk around on their hind feet... is this okay for them?

Hi mrsl.

I think you and sugarpuss are talking about two different "short films". I think the short films you are talking about are known as the "Dogville" shorts where live animals are dressed up and made to act as humans with dialogue dubbed in. (Don't they give the animals peanut butter to get them to move there mouths as if speaking?) I don't know if that constitutes mis-treatment but I am skeptical that anyone would harm the source of their livlihood. But I can't say for certain.

The dogs that sugarpuss and I are referring to are quick little promos that have begun to appear between films. The Tarzan promo shows an alley wall with some graffitti and a "spray-painted" Juhnny Weismuller giving the infamous "yell" causing all the stray dogs in the neighborhood to come running. None of these dogs seem to be performing anything potentially harmful. If you haven't seen these promos, keep an eye peeled. Very witty and creative.

Kyle In Hollywood

ps- The shelter benches in your town sound great.

Man, I hate when these margins go so crazy.

but thank you hldwdkjk, I was wrong, and I have seen the promos with

Tarzan and MacDonald, it just happened that at the same time the

shorts with the dogs was shown. I don't like drug users either, but

I do feel sorry for them.

Anne

I like the expressions on both the dog's quizzical face and Jeanette MacDonald's enraptured expression when she hears the dog howl. It also quite amusing when all the mutts come running when Tarzan yells---I almost expected him to say "Un-gowa" and make the pups disperse.

I love the Dogville Comedies and have a link to a marvelous article from Classic Images which details the background of the doggie dramedies--I think my favorite is the football game, though All Quiet on the Western Front parody is pretty humorous too. Please check this link out if you're interested, especially since it seems that the dogs were treated well and in many cases, were rescued from a dismal fate by their trainers:

http:// http://www.classicimages.com/1998/january98/dogs.html

FYI: the reason that the margins go ka-flooey sometimes is when a web link is inserted into a post that is quite long. I find that I can prevent that from happening by making a line break in the link without inserting any spaces and then putting url in brackets [] before the link and /url in brackets [] after the link to insure that it will take the reader to that site as intended.

I found out the song: "Living Again" by Cee-Lo. The extended version actually has a rap in the middle. They did a great job breaking up the song throughout the promo.

I've never heard of the artist, and I consider myself to be mildly hip and pretty eccentric when it comes to music (I listen to everything except Opera and popular Top 40 country. The latter gives me the willies.) But there you go. I just downloaded it. Great song! Thanks TCM for giving me another song to add to my bulging iTunes collection.

Anne, like Kyle said, I think you and I are thinking about two different things--BUT, I have no doubt in my mind that the rules concerning animals in film were very different compared to now. I'm sure that abuse was much more common in those days and it really breaks my heart to think of that. I think the same way you do whenever I see animals in the movies. It really gets to me whenever I see the horses in westerns get hurt.

I really hope the ad people at TCM keep doing new living graffitti ads. They're so much fun! I've seen two more since my post yesterday and I just love them. The guys in the Lolita one crack me up and I love the dog who gets a little out of control while running in the Tarzan one.

The first time I saw the Jeanette MacDonald one, I was transfixed and then almost overcome (in a good way!). As an Eddy/Mac fan, I thought for a minute it was going to be a "making fun" one, but it's one of the loveliest (short) tributes I think I've ever seen. I "never" keep anything but the actual movies (and RO and BM intros), but THESE I'm being sure to keep!

Blessings on the one(s) who thought up and executed these.......

Bill