Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CapMatifou

Remembering the Title of an Old Western

I have been trying for years to remember the title of a western movie I saw when I was a boy (this western was made around the late fifties or the early sixties), unfortunately, without any success. This movie was in colour and the only other thing I remember in it was that the bad guys were four brothers and they each had as a first name the name of the authors of the four Gospels (Matthew, Marc, Luc and John) and the hero in the film was some sheriff or marshall(?) who was trying to rid the western town of these four outlaws.

Could someone, please, help me remember the title of this little-known western?

CapMatifou

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm drawing a blank on this one. I'll dig into it more as time permits.

Gerb

Well, that didn't take very long. I hope the movie you're looking for is called THE HELLIONS (1961). It's a western set in South Africa. Apparently, it's pretty darn rare. Check it out on IMDb for more information.

Gerb

Hi Gerb,

I knew somebody would eventually find that title for me. Thank you very much indeed. "The Hellions". Of course, I saw that movie dubbed in French when I was little and I am sure it did not have that title, but from the description of the movie on IMDb, it is definitely the one.

Once again, thank you very much for refreshing my memory. Now I am going to see if I can get my hands on this movie at my favourite video store. Wish me luck...

PS. We could suggest it on TCM.

As a matter of fact, another very good movie with Richard Todd is "Chase a Crooked Shadow" (film noir, 1957).

By the way, one of my all-time favourite western is "The Man who Shot Liberty Valance", directed by John Ford. I would be curious to know which one is your favourite.

CapMatifou

I have both of the films you mentioned, and LIBERTY VALANCE is definitely a good watch. Sadly, I always wanted to see Gene Pitney (who sings the title tune) in concert, but he died abruptly this year while on tour.

As for my favorites, and this is subject to change as I see more movies, it depends on what mood I'm in. I can narrow it down to three, with HIGH NOON running a close fourth.

VIRGINIA CITY (1940) - when I want star power. It's got plenty of action with a good plot, and the topline actors are in abundance here...even if Bogie seems a bit out of place.

THE SAVAGE HORDE (1950) - when I want to watch a dang good western with a great sentimental storyline. It's also a who's who of B western names, led by my all-time favorite, Wild Bill Elliott.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST (1968) - when I want to watch a freakin' awesome movie. Even though it's Spaghetti, it's the most realistic western I've ever seen, and the whole 30-year vendetta is untoppable.

Gerb

Of your favourite four, I only know two of them: "High Noon" (an all-time classic by any standard) and "Once Upon a Time in the West" (Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, Jason Robards Jr.), which I like very much too. A must-have in any western lover's collection.

However, let us not forget "The Magnificent Seven" (in my humble opinion anyway) and "Gunfight at the OK Corral".

Thanks for your feedback,

CapMatifou

Oh, sorry! I forgot (where was my head?): "The Big Country" (Gregory Peck, Burl Ives, Charlton Heston, etc.) also one of my all-time favourite westerns. Timeless and universal, like all great westerns, incidentally.

CapMatifou

Yes, all of those are great westerns as well. In fact, I have yet to see a western made before 1970 that I didn't like...and I've seen a LOT of westerns. And, I like the lesser known westerns as much as I like the all-star epics. Gene Autry, Randolph Scott, George Montgomery or John Wayne, I like them all.

Keep your eyes open for VIRGINIA CITY as it plays quite often on TCM. You can't go wrong with Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, Humphrey Bogart, Mirriam Hopkins, Alan Hale, Guinn Williams, Frank McHugh, Douglas Dumbrille, etc., etc. all in one feature!

Thanks again, Gerb, for your feedback and suggestions. I actually like what you said about liking any western that was made before 1970 (big or small). There is something about them, one can't quite put a finger on it. All these westerns have something called "un je ne sais quoi" that makes them special. One just can't go wrong with these old westerns. The funny thing is that they are 'old', but they are timeless and universal. That is why they are classics, I guess.

I will look for "Virginia City" when it comes on TCM.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention that I really like "The Wildd Bunch" (Sam Peckinpah) and, speaking of which, I also like one he made with Jason Robards Jr. called "The Ballad Of Cable Hogue". I am a big fan of Sam Peckinpah.

CapMatifou

Gunfight At The O.K. Corral ran last week or so on TCM.....for whatever it may be worth....also "Hour Of The Gun" very good (burt Lancaster

Scotty {tiggerswr@alltel.net}

Scotty {*********@alltel.net}

I've put this on some other places where you posted, too - hoping you'll see one -

PLEASE don't show your e-mail address in the open on the forums. There are many good reasons not to; trust us on this. You can PM people and give them your address when you decide it's the right thing to do; or they can PM you, without you having to use your e-mail, until you decide you trust them.

Bill

Scotty:

A pm is a "private message" that can be sent to another board member without anyone seeing it. If you look up and to the right under your name you'll see a heading called "Private messages." If it is highlighted in black it means someone has sent you a message. If you want to send one you click on compose and enter the boadmember's name you want to send a message to.

I'll send you one so you can see how it works.

Chris

I give up...............................what's a PM???????????????Scotty

Private Message. When you sign in, you can see whether people have sent you any (by clicking on the "private message" line under your name). Once you've gotten to that page, there's a place to click to "Compose Message." You type in that, just the way you do a "Reply." Then send it.

Those messages are not readable except by you and the person you are corresponding with. That's where you need to make arrangements for trading videos, etc., but definitely NOT in the threads themselves, which can be read by everyone. If you haven't removed your e-mail address from your earlier thread postings, please do that. It's not good to have just anybody seeing that. It really shouldn't show on your registration page, either; that's just as easy for people to find.

Hope this was clearer, but I don't know when you'll be revisiting the thread to see it. I sent you an e-mail at least a week ago. Hope you didn't call it spam and delete it!

Bill

Scotty:

A pm is a "private message" that can be sent to another board member without anyone seeing it.

Oops - didn't see that you had already responded to Scotty in my absence. At least we said the same basic thing!

Bill