Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Borat In The Company of Best

PRODUCER01

How do you make the best comedy movie of the new century. Hire a Cambridge educated Jewish comedian, give him a microphone, and send him to discover the many characters in America. the result. audiences all over.[or at least the theater I went] laughing their brains out. No big budget movie in the past decade has made more sense, more funny than this low budget unassuming film by the great--yes the great Sacha Baron Cohen. That movie is so entertaining I'm placing it in the company of any great comedic films released in the last century. An absolute four star. A triumph. A brilliant declaration of a new comedic genius who understands the meaning of funny, and who can poke fun of the taboo without being overly gratuitous. A conservative Jew Cohen proves that you can humiliate your opponent by showing them how badly they behave. The theater was pack. A good sign that Americans are now just beginning to figure out what funny is. I never accepted that Robin Williams, Jim Carey, Jerry Lewis, Burn, The Marx Bro, etc.. as funny people. Funny is best when the actor doesn't try to be funny. Deliberate funnyness[is that a word?] is NOT funny. It's a rather pathetic when I see today's comedians trying so hard to make audience laugh. Here Cohen doesn't even try--we just can't help laughing. A man next to me unbuttoned his trousers for relief he laughs so hard. I also discovered that my girlfriend laugh is somewhat arousal during the movie she laughed so hard. This movie is brilliant. Yes its homophobic, racist, sexist and all that bad stuff that your grandma may have told you to try not to be, but, it is indeed a must see. Cohen triumphs.

Message was edited by:

PRODUCER01

"How do you make the best comedy movie of the new century."

I'm looking forward to seeing this new comedy, but he century is so young, it seems a little premature to choose the best when we have 94 more years to go...

"Funny is best when the actor doesn't try to be funny. Deliberate funnyness[is that a word?] is NOT funny. It's a rather pathetic when I see today's comedians trying so hard to make audience laugh. Here Cohen doesn't even try--we just can't help laughing."

All comic actors are trying, the secret is in making it look effortless. Cary Grant was working very hard -- and quite successfully -- to make us laugh. But he never allowed us to see the sweat. Sacha Baron Cohen also puts a lot effort out there and I'm betting there's a lot of footage that didn't work on his floor. You just didn't see it. Comedy is hard work. You have a good list of those who do allow us to see their exertion: Jerry Lewis, Robin Williams, Jim Carey; they try awfully hard and we see it.

A man next to me unbuttoned his trousers for relief he laughs so hard.

I've been warned about sitting next to men in darkened theatres who unbutton their pants. Be careful.

Thanks for the review. Enjoy.

Are you kidding me?.....Dude....Borat does not belong in the same class as such classics as Bringing up Baby, The Philadelphia story, To be or not to be, Libeled Lady etc.....If you really think that Borat belongs with these comedy classics you need to check yourself....Sacha Boren Cohan is the most annoying comedian out there.

I dont want to see some ugly dude with socks pulled up to his chin going around and annoying people....the ALi g show was the worst show on television....The guy is a moron.....It is people like you that make my stomach turn...you have no concept of the classics if you actually believe what you said.....maybe you should go post on another board...MTV perhaps......I mean really, come on....I bet you think movies like Old School and Anchorman are classics too........

Borat was made by morons for morons.....enough said........deep down inside you must know how dumb you are....America is filled with morons so I am not suprised this movie is making money...seriously go post on another board.....Many of classic hollywood's pioneers are rolling around in their grave over your comment...

. Yes its homophobic, racist,

> sexist and all that bad stuff that your grandma may

> have told you to try not to be, but, it is indeed a

> must see. Cohen triumphs.

Dang, you are young. My grandma never told me not to be "homophobic, racist, sexist [or] all that bad stuff." All she ever told me was not to marry a person of a different race ... although those weren't exactly the words she used.

Uh ... may her soul rest in peace.

"Are you kidding me?.....Dude....Borat does not belong in the same class as such classics as Bringing up Baby, The Philadelphia story, To be or not to be, Libeled Lady etc.....If you really think that Borat belongs with these comedy classics you need to check yourself....Sacha Boren Cohan is the most annoying comedian out there."

Mr. 01 didn't put Borat in the same class with any of the movies you mentioned (and you forgot The Awful Truth, by the way). He said it was the best movie of the 21st century. It'd be interesting to know what comedy from the 20th century he would award this honor. If he had said it was better than any of the classics we've mentioned (along with Idiot's Delight, The Women and The Major and the Minor), we would have brought out the torches and pitchforks long ago... Don't worry, Ms. Rock; we've got your back.

Ahhh, Jack. You're such a light at the end of a tunnel, such a sunbeam, in the middle of the forest, such a warm fire on a cold, snowy night.

I've missed your quips and understanding demeanor. Where have you been lately? I've seen your name, but it's usually on the Films and Filmmakers topic.

Stick around more!

Anne

Thank you, Mrs. L. I'm currently in Florida, in a house that doesn't have TCM. I've begun trembling from withdrawal. At least I brought a load of DVDs with me (I watched Maureen O'Hara and Tyrone Power in The Black Swan last night).

The computer in this house uses dial-up, so I know you feel my pain. I usually click on an item and then go to the kitchen to wash a dish while awaiting the arrival of the next window. As I press "Post Message" now, perhaps I'll go take a dip in the pool. By the time I'm dry, hopefully I'll be back to "General Discussions".

slow and TCMless; but here,

JB