Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hlywdkjk

"Anti-" Congress Salute

Tomorrow evening TCM will salute the American Congress with four films flattering to elected officials. The slate of films is great and so are the men portrayed in these films.

For a less reverential look at Members of Congress, here's a link to a Washington Post article titled "Negative Campaigning" that highlights five of the most unappealing politicians in filmdom.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/03/AR2006110300435.html

(Check out the box on the right for a separate page to each of five characters.)

Tracy Flick! Perfect!

Kyle In Hollywood

More importantly, every American, who has HBO, if you do not have it, ask a neighbor if you can go over and watch a 1-1/2 hour program before election day, and ask if you can watch the HBO documentary 'Hacking Democracy'. I'm quite positive this show will be highly disputed but the fact remains they proved the Diebold voting machines can be fixed, and that they were fixed. These same machines are going to be used again next week, so when you vote, don't expect your vote to count. Remember the scene in Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, where the voting was rigged? The same thing is happening to our votes, only in a more despicable way. Please watch the show, and make up your own mind.

Anne

I completely agree. It doesn't take a conspiracy theorist to recognize we are about to vote in another election that could easily be swayed by program design.

Here in Florida, we all remember the 2000 fiasco where a candidate's people registered felons in prisons, who aren't allowed to vote, and bribed homeless people with free cigarettes to vote for him (luckily that campaign aid was arrested). It is a serious issue, right out of All the King's Men. That should have been on the list.

Politics Suck.....The only time I hear from my Congressman is when I'm bombarded by Junk Mail starting in September because he's running for office in November. Try to get a Street Light Fixed, or a Pothole fixed in the road by writing your Congressman. You have a less of a chance of them listening to you than wrapping a pink bow on a lightning bolt during a thunder storm. They all suck in politics. "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" My Congressman goes to Strip Clubs to see if they have enough ice for the drinks. We are really concerned that they do according to that buffoon!

Aftermath

I agree with you about poltics For the last two weeks my phone rings at blealeast three times a day to vote for one person after another.like you said the only time you hear from them is during election. I vote every election I made sure my children register to vote, But I'm going to vote I'm tired of the mud slinging campaigns and I do trust any politican no matter what party.It will my first time I have never voted in the 35 years since I registered,Thank you mrs. about that program you had mention I do not have HBO but i know someone who doe's I plan to watch it.

> Try to get a Street Light Fixed, or a

> Pothole fixed in the road by writing your

> Congressman. You have a less of a chance of them

> listening to you than wrapping a pink bow on a

> lightning bolt during a thunder storm.

You might try writing to your municipal authorities, since they are the ones actually responsible for local infrastructure. Your congressman has nothing to do with it.

> You might try writing to your municipal authorities,

> since they are the ones actually responsible for

> local infrastructure. Your congressman has nothing to

> do with it.

His pre-election literature proclaims that he does! He also said in his propaganda literature that he has a "Special Hot Line" we can call for him to solve "ANY" of our problems in a 24 hour response time. I once called and asked him on his hot line that I had a major problem...."Him".... and asked if he could leave office within the 24 hour response time!!! He stayed :(

> I once called and asked him on his hot line

> that I had a major problem...."Him".... and asked if

> he could leave office within the 24 hour response

> time!!! He stayed :(

I don't blame him for ignoring you.

I had a major problem...."Him".... and asked if he could leave office within the 24 hour response time!!!

Oh my dog, that's funny!

I bet he, like those who didn't 'get' Kerry, didn't 'get' it.

Matt Helm:

The show is based in Florida, it's a Florida woman who started the investigation and HBO caught wind of her. In fact, they were specifically investigating the 2000 election, and as I said, they prove it was fixed. The only way to keep it honest that I see is going back to the pre-computer days, and do hand-written votes and manual counting. Anyone who gets angry at me when I mention GWB, all you have to do is look into what I say, and you will end up as livid as I am. What idiot wants a president who bombs Iraq, then years later, while the war is still going on states he cannot find a connection between Iraq and 911?

> > I don't blame him for ignoring you.

>

> That is just plain rude.

Not really. I don't blame a Congressman for ignoring rude crank phone calls. Responding is taking time away from constituents with actual problems.

Dolores:

No he ain't! X-(

Jon and Brad:

In actuality, when you call a congressman, all you get is his secretary, who, in turn, decides what messages he/she should get and respond to. I got lucky, one time, the secretary thought I had a legitimate request and it was taken care of.

Anne:

Message was edited by:

mrsl

> > I once called and asked him on his hot line

> > that I had a major problem...."Him".... and asked

> if

> > he could leave office within the 24 hour response

> > time!!! He stayed :(

>

> I don't blame him for ignoring you.

Again Thank you for your kind comments! :) I wish I could ignore you also as you are a Clog in the system. Many Thanks for your deep and well thought out reply's. You are "The Greatest" and good fortune will follow you in your daily life. Many happy returns and please keep those "Snappy" answers coming as I look forward to them with glee! :) Maybe you should run for Congress as you fit the mold.

Aftermath

(Your Bestest Buddy )

I've come to the conclusion the political spam calls are dirty tricks...by a political opponent of the candidate calling. Well, political opponent of the machine voice of the representative of the candidate...calling my phone. I cannot imagine an undecided, voting age person ever voting for the ******* who calls the voter several times a day, at all hours. On the other hand, I don't understand why I have fifty pieces of e-mail spam every two days. No adult ever responds to that spam s***. Right?

By the way, I never give the political spam caller a chance to say who they represent. I usually don't even pick up an "out of area" call. I wish I had answered my ringing phone...last Saturday...at 6:50 A.M. If that call was a political thing (not a wrong number)...you know what I would do? Write down the candidate name, look up his/her home phone and start calling and calling and calling until someone picked up. I would start calling them at 3:00 A.M.

This candidate calling thing has got to stop. Close the loophole allowing political calls (as well as "surveys") for the "do not call me" law.

Rusty

There's tons of coverage of the robo-calling on Talking Points Memo blog. You're absolutely right that in many case they are placed by opponents of the person the calls are supposedly in support of.

New Hampshire, where several top GOP officials were tried for "phone jamming" after the last election, is claiming that political calls are forbidden by the "Do Not Call" registry.

I'm spared calls from either party, since I gave up my land line a couple of years ago and now use my cell as my primary phone.

Sorry. To be consistent with my opponent theory, I should have written, "call the opponent of the candidate...at three o'clock in the morning". Oh h***, call everybody at three o'clock in the morning. Just thinking about that 6:50 A.M. call as a possible political spam call pis*** me off so much...I have to take a pill now.

Rusty

Of course the 2000 election in Florida was fixed. Let's see...with a quick purge of the voting roles of several thousand minority voters who showed up at the polls but who could not vote because their names had been deemed to 'sound like one of convicted felon'; with law enforcement officers in North Florida setting up roadblocks in minority precincts to intimidate minority voters who are (rightfully) terrified of the north Florida **** patrol; and with the voting machine fiascos galore.

And what a surprise that all of this happened in the state where the Presidents' brother was governor. What a COINCIDENCE!!!!! (NOT)

And now they are working hard to have the Voting Rights Act expire so that it will be LEGAL again to intimidate minority voters in the south. And of course, there is the ID card push, where one will have to have a drivers liscense to vote (most often lacking among - SURPRISE! - minority voters! Or a state id card. As if minority voters are gonna go get one of THOSE when they spend half their lives trying to stay OFF the government's radar. *rolleyes*

None of this is a mistake, gang. Not one bit of it. It is all an attempt to disenfranchise minority voters. And unless we stand up and DO something, they will succeed. Or more accurately, succeed more than they already have.

If they can't win fair and square, these guys will cheat to win. Whatever it takes.

I don't mind if Republicans win, if they do it fair and square. But this is just downright crooked. And we let em get away with it because they are clean-cut white guys in suits.

If this sort of tampering were happening about 10 years ago in...say...IRAQ, these same guys would have been all over Saddam for running a crooked election.

Personally, I think we are to the point where we need the U.N. to oversee our elections in the interests of fairness.

I got a call today saying that our records show that you have not voted yet and the polls are open to nine it was left on my answering machine that was about 11.30this morning.

Now that the election is over when do you think they will take down all the posters of "Re-Elect Joe Shyster The One Who Cares"? On every block in my neighborhood there are more posters than leaves that are falling. Will these things still be stapled to telephone polls till Memorial Day? Talk about an eyesore!

Aftermath