Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Night Gallery - The Sixth Sense TV Series

Thanks to MaryS, I now know that I am looking to purchase a copy of "If I Should Die Before I Wake", which was Episode #22 of the Night Gallery Sixth Sense TV Series in 1972. Does anyone know where this can be purchased? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, since nothing has happened here in a while, I'm hijacking this thread and making it a discussion of "Night Gallery." It was a troubled show, but it did have some great episodes, and you should try to see the original (and not the syndicated) version of the show.

Some good episodes: "Since Aunt Ada Came to Stay," "Pickman's Model," "Lindemann's Catch," "Deliveries in the Rear," "Class of '99," "The Waiting Room" "Last Rites for a Dead Druid," "Return of the Sorcerer," "Something in the Woodwork," and "The Caterpillar."

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Does anybody remember the made for tv movie "FEAR NO EVIL" and the sequel "RITUAL OF EVIL"? I think that's what started the "SIXTH SENSE" and all those supernatural movies in the late sixties, early seventies. My favorite "NIGHT GALLERY" episode was called "SIN EATER", it really scared me as a kid.

"Tell David..." aired December 29, 1971 part of the second season of "Night Gallery." The screenplay was by Gerald Sanford from a story by Penelope Wallace. (So no Rod Serling input.) Jeff Corey directed.

Sandra Dee starred as Ann, a woman with marital problems who time-slipped into the future and met her grown son, David. He tried to warn her not to kill her husband/his father, but she ended up taking this as a sign from destiny and upon returning to the present killed the guy.

This is usually seen as a so-so episode, although Dee's performance is seen as the best thing in it.

The sin-eater episode is officially called "Sins of the Fathers."

I remember one with Bradford Dillman --He was an artist in Boston--and he always wore gloves

there were these beings who lived underground--and they were dragging beautiful woman to

there subteranian lair to mate--and at the end someone pulls off his gloves and his father was

a troll because he had troll hands!

THE SIN EATER! I had forgotten all about that one!

"No ma'am, I cannuh do it!!! I cannuh eat muh father's sins!!!"

EEEEEEEEK!!! Man, that was some creepy stuff!

MikeBSG - "Tell David" became more clear to me after you summarized the plot. The more I think about it, the main thing that may have creeped me out (besides my bout with the flu) was the fact that Sandra Dee's character mentioned she'd never seen that brand of cigarettes before (because she had jumped into the future at that point in the story), but the cigarette package design reminded me of something that I hadn't seen since I was a real little kid. So, I kinda felt like I was in a time warp myself, though it was probably just the cough syrup talking...

****, I have to tell you the "Tell David" episode with Sandra Dee frightened the heck outta me, and probaby still does. I don't know what it was about it that gave me the willies, but it certainly did. I also seem to remember a witch in it, or an old woman dressed as a witch.

Could you refresh my memory (I'll risk the shivers)

What memories you bring back. FEAR NO EVIL and RITUAL OF EVIL were scary. Which was the one with that creepy mirror? Oh, I had nightmares for weeks. And Carroll O'Connor, before he hit it big as Archie Bunker, was a villian in one of them. Also memorable was Diana Hyland as a witch who falls in love with Louis Jourdan.

MikeBSG might be a better source for details on this one. About all I can remember is that Sandra had a husband who was abusive, and that she was maybe a little wacky and jealous herself, but she loved her son David and stayed in a bad marriage for his sake. She goes out on a stormy night, escaping from her husband and her own house, and gets picked in the rain up by a young guy in a car who takes her back to his house to use the phone. His car had some advanced technology, maybe a navigation computer. When they get the house, the phone is a video phone, which she'd maybe seen on TV but didn't realize they were actually installing yet. I believe her call (to her home, in the past) doesn't go through, or she gets another person at that number. She hangs out waiting for the rain to stop, and talks to the guy and his wife. He eventually tells her a story about how his mom killed his dad. Sandra asks for a cigarette, they say almost no one smokes any more, but they find a pack of "healthy" cigarettes somewhere, of a brand she's never heard of. At first, hints that she's gone into the future are pretty subtle, but eventually you're getting beat over the head with it. Even Sandra ultimately realizes that this is her own son David in the future, and she must have killed his abusive dad. The rain stops, and she thanks them and leaves, leaving the viewer feeling pretty sure that she was going back to her own time to change the future by not committing murder. But next thing we know, she's in jail for murdering her husband, as if once she saw that her kid turned out okay, she was cool with killing the jerk anyway. I have a vague memory of someone else coming to the door while Sandra?s at David?s house, but I can?t pull this memory up; maybe that was your witch?

****, thanks so much. I'm getting a vague memory of an old woman (like Jeanette Nolan, who played crones and witches so chillingly) in Sandra's living room and wearing a black cloak and performing some kind of trick with cards or a hexagram on the floor, it's like a nightmare I can't recall, or don't want to. And I think we're supposed to think the woman is a witch but she's just maybe dressed up for a Halloween party or something......

Interesting how prescient the script was re: cigarettes.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Here's the credited cast for "Tell David," maybe this will help jog your memory:

Jeff Corey ... Radio Weatherman

Sandra Dee ... Ann Bolt

Jared Martin ... Tony Bolt/David Blessington

Chris Patrick ... David Bolt

Anne Randall ... Julie

Fran?oise Ruggieri ... Yvonne

Jan Shutan ... Jane Blessington

Jenny Sullivan ... Pat Blessington

No, ****, not a jog. I was almost certain Nolan was the woman, but I guess not. This "witch", or person in a black cloak/robe, is spinning around the room or trying to be frightening or just getting excited and scaring Sandra Dee, and then the weird person quickly runs away...I don't know, I wish I could once and for all know for sure, so I can exorcise this creepy memory out of my head.

Well, bronxy, you were only half confused. Turns out there was a "witch" in "Tell David," too, though I'm not quite sure just why...

I've been pursuing a copy of this episode since we started discussing, and finally got to watch it tonight. You mentioned that maybe the witch was just someone dressed up for a Halloween party or something, and you were right on the money. It was actually her philandering husband, hiding in their living room when she returned home from her first trip to the future. Somewhat inexplicably dressed up in a black robe and a rubber witch mask, he jumps out and proceeds to scare the Hell out of poor Sandra. No hexagrams or cards, though (I think they must have belonged to Aunt Ada in the other episode). Funny thing, this mixed-up soup we call memory.

After initially being startled, Sandra obviously knows this is her husband in the witch get-up, and they begin to bicker. She stops mid-argument and says "Is that how I sound to you? Like an old hag?" He removes the mask and says "Sometimes, beautiful... sometimes." Looks like the writer just threw this bit in there to pump a little fright into a sagging script.

Yes, funny how they got it right about the future of cigarettes. There were also several technological advances that have come true; the future house has a closed-circuit TV security system, and David's wife offers to program the video phone to call the number again in 5 minutes. But of course they couldn't imagine how far computers would continue to advance and miniaturize. The map instrument I recalled wasn't in anyone's car, it was a gadget they kept in the house (?), and it was merely the size of a breadbox. Now, you can buy a GPS with a map of the whole world in it that will fit in your pocket!

By the way, the "future" in this episode was 1989! I got deja vu all over again, just watching it, only in reverse this time. Oh, brave new world, that hath such reruns in it!

Well, I'll be darned.....you were able to watch it, and by golly, memory really IS strange, isn't it?

Now I remember Sandra saying, "Do I sound like an old hag to you?" but I didn't remember it was the hubby scaring her, so, yes, Aunt Ada got mixed up in there as well. Thanks a million for this info!

1989 feels almost "quaint" now, doesn't it?

Greetings from Istanbul! Just checking, and this forum also appears to be running smoothly from here. Go figure.

Whooooooo, SCARY!!!! The forums are HAUNTED!!!!

(well, this IS the "Horror" board, right?)

Yep, editing works okay on this forum, too, and I'm using the same laptop that I used at home in the U.S.

Message was edited by: spazhoward