Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Odd "Romantic" Couple

After watching “The First Traveling Saleslady” with Ginger Rogers, I was amused by the odd romantic coupling of Carol Channing and a young Clint Eastwood.  You wouldn’t think of finding Carol and Clint in the same movie, much less the two of them becoming romantically involved! 

This got me to thinking of other offbeat romantic screen couples.  Ruth Gordon and Bud Cort of course come to mind as “Harold and Maude”.  Also Walter Matthau and Elaine May in “A New Leaf”.  But who are some of the others?  Anyone have suggestions for your favorite odd romantic screen couples?  

0f7fd83c66d98122e7e6402415089270.jpg

Are you referring to "May-December" pairings? or ANY odd pairing...

I'd add JAMES STEWART and KIM NOVAK in either of THEIR pairings, or Stewart and MAUREEN O'HARA in "Mr, Hobbs Takes A Vacation" which looked odd to ME.

In fact Stewart and just about ANYBODY!  ;)

Sepiatone

I'd add JAMES STEWART and KIM NOVAK in either of THEIR pairings, or Stewart and MAUREEN O'HARA in "Mr, Hobbs Takes A Vacation" which looked odd to ME.

In fact Stewart and just about ANYBODY!   ;)

Sepiatone

Except of course with...

harvey.jpg

...a particular pooka, right Sepia?! ;)

(...well, not that there was any talk of a romantic relationship between these two though...more of a "bromance" kind'a thing, of course)

• Like 1

In fact Stewart and just about ANYBODY!  ;)

Sepiatone

Hi Sepia, I wasn't referring to May-December pairings in particular, just odd romantic couples in general.  

"Vertigo" is one of my favorite movies and I think the Jimmy Stewart and Kim Novak pairing works best in that film.

However, I always found it a bit difficult to believe the Jimmy Stewart and Carroll Baker pairing in "How the West was Won" and that George Peppard would be their son!  

• Like 1

Hey, Count Vic! How about THESE two in 1955's SINCERELY YOURS...Liberace and Dorothy Malone???

eMHltNPgxHjXOMzbHI8nv9qt2fO.jpg

(...hey, ya gotta admit Lee there is givin' it the ol' college try anyway, wouldn't ya say?!) ;)

• Like 1

Hey, and I think I got another one here...

From one of THE most depressing films I think I've ever watched(still a great movie though), Timothy Bottoms and Cloris Leachman in 1971's THE LAST PICTURE SHOW...

the-last-picture-show-1971-timothy-botto

• Like 1

Alec Guinness and Maureen O'Hara in Our Man in Havana (1959).  Absolutely zero chemistry.

And one we saw just last night.  John Wayne and Angie Dickinson in Rio Bravo (1959).  A true violation of nature (Angie Dickinson should be paired with me).

• Like 3

Hey, Count Vic! How about THESE two in 1955's SINCERELY YOURS...Liberace and Dorothy Malone???

(...hey, ya gotta admit Lee there is givin' it the ol' college try anyway, wouldn't ya say?!) ;)

Maybe that's why Dorothy was ready to "dive off the deep end", so to speak, in a different type of role in 1956's "Written on the Wind", and capturing Oscar as well!  :lol:    

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings