Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Great Way to Watch TCM!

filmlover

A few months ago I got an Optoma H27 projector from Costco for about $700 (including a free screen) because I couldn't afford the price of a projection TV or a plasma/LCD TV. I've enjoyed it because it would blow the image up to that screen, about 80 inches diagonal. A few days ago, I decided to get a bigger screen, 96x72 (it was $119, I think, from eBay), because that was the biggest my apartment had room for, and now the image is about 120 inches diagonal for 4:3 or about 110" for letterbox. And I have my TV reception going from the satellite receiver through my DVD player and into the projector. Oh, man, what a way to watch TCM!

Many of the movies from the Sixties on, I have seen in the theater, and the same for a number of classics like Casablanca at art house revivals, so I am used to them on a big screen. But many of the other films of the Thirties and Forties, I have never seen on a big screen. And since those films were a on 4:3 scale, it fills up so much of this screen. It is like sitting in a small theater. I get totally mesmerized. For example, I have seen The Scarlet Pimpernel on TV several times, but tonight I was watching it on this enormous screen and it was like seeing it for the first time, the way people did when they saw it in a movie theater.

Please believe me, I am not bragging or anything, it is just I am so overwhelmed by the experience that I wanted to recommend it to others who can't afford the $2,000-$5,000 price tag of a bigscreen TV.

filmlover,

Thanks for posting this info. I've been putting together a proposal for a school I teach in, to teach a program like The Story of Movies for students. And if this projector is within their budget it would be a great way to expose these kids to classic movies. The kids probably won't like the idea of classic movies at first, but to see them in that size would make them more impressive, rather than a 20" TV screen.