Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Movie About a Political Campaign or an Election

I guess "Shampoo" might count, since it takes place on election night. I saw it for the first time on VHS recently and wasn't too impressed. But then I've never cared for Warren Beatty that much outside of "Bonnie and Clyde" and "Bugsy."

What did you think about "Primary Colors"? I thought it started well and then went completely off the rails when the 'dark horse' candidate showed up. Still there was a great scene in which Billy Bob Thornton tried to explain things to Emma Thompson and her political advisor.

What about "All The King's Men."

Willie Stark-"You wanna know what my platform is? Here it is. I'm gonna soak the fat boys and spread it out thin."

And Alexander Payne's "Election" from '99.

Tracy Flick-"Dear Lord Jesus, I do not often speak with you and ask for things, but now I really must insist that you help me win the election tommorrow because I deserve it and Paul Metzler doesn't, as you well know. I realize that it was your divine hand that disqualified Tammy Metzler and now I'm asking that you go that one last mile and make sure to put me in office where I belong so that I may carry out your will on earth as it is in heaven. Amen."

Hi, MikeBSG! I thought Primary Colors was okay ... and hilarious in the scene where Billy Bob has the come-to-Jesus talk with Emma, using the "bear in the woods" analogy! :) I also read the book by "Anonymous" way back when he was still "Anonymous" ... a hilarious, delightful bit of fluff.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

All the King's Men (1949) and Election (1999): Excellent selections, illustrating, on one hand, the profound and weighty, and on the other hand, the lighthearted entertainment value of democracy!!! I have had much more fun with this thread than I expected to.