Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

western movie

thnen

Juniorsage: Did you purposely "scotch up" Brians' last name?

In my original response to thnens' query, I was going to take a shot at the woeful quality level of TRB, but I backed off.

Speaking of the dialect-challenged (but game) Mr. Keith, do you recall his appalling Irish brogue in The Young Philadelphians? "Ah,Tony me lad, thars' a foinn fellah..." Cringeworthy...........

bunky

No, it's probably just that I have a friend named Leith (who's Warner Bros.' archivist and runs the Museum on the studio lot), but no friends named Keith (though I am a devotee of Countdown with Keith Olbermann on MSNBC). Consequently I get a lot more practice typing the former name than the latter.

As I said, I think that Brian Keith was a terrific actor, with his performance as Theodore Roosevelt in THE WIND AND LION opposite Sean Connery (though the two obviously have no scenes together, each hovers invisibly over the other) one of my favorite portrayals of a U.S. president.

Several years ago, I was out on location with a Showtime TV movie in Hollywood's Bronson Canyon. Keith was one of the actors in the film, and I thought of asking him to sign a WIND AND THE LION one-sheet poster I had, but actors (and everyone else) are on sets or at studios to work, and that's a line I felt really uncomfortable crossing (an appearance at, say, the Motion Picture Academy, is quite another thing; it's pretty much understood that being approached there for schmoozing or signing is just part of the process).

Still, he's gone now, and that poster's never going to get signed...

Tell me, CineSage, is Leith as frustrated as I that the Warner Brothers Studio museum has rotated all its true classic film material out in favor of memorabilia from "Friends"/The Harry Potter movies/several other post-1960 Warners productions? As I was hoping to see Sam's piano from Casablanca, I was bitterly disappointed by the museum. The tour of the lot was great, though.