Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kill me

flickerknickers

Okay, I'm ready for the bullets, the knives, the slings and arrows because I have a big confession to make: I watched AMC for nearly two weeks of its Monster-Fest. Two weeks of complete joy as I watched the turkies, the cheeses, the classics, of the rarely-shown. Around the clock, the marathon ran and I recorded like crazy, especially one rarely seen William Shatner goodie, The Devil's Rain. Even wtching entire 'Halloween" franchise was guilty fun although i knew that there was heavy editing and you know every turn of every plot. What I loved was the way AMC worked in the classic universal shockers like "The Mummy", "The Invisible Man" and so on. And what did TCM show? An occasional foray into horror like "Mark of the vampire" and "White Zombie." You would think that for an around-the-clock movie channel, at least two days could have been devoted to horrors of all kinds, back to back. I did appreciate watching on TCM two of my favorite early Warner Brothers Technicolor chillers, "Dr. X" and "Mystery of the Wax Museum" but these should have come on at prime time. So the outcome is that I fell in love with AMC again and can forgive the ads, especially when its Halloween. I can hardly wait to see what it does for Christmas!

paty,

"Devil's Rain" is a goodie, indeed. I watched the AMC broadcast of "Devil's Rain". Ida Lupino stars in "Devil's Rain". Ida Lupino in "Devil's Rain" automatically makes the movie a must see. And Ernest Borgnine in "Devil's Rain" doubles the must see-ness of the movie. I watched "Devil's Rain" via a DVR and skipped through the AMC commercials. I skipped through all the AMC commercials, except the hilarious Extenz commercials.

Here's a question. I watched the AMC broadcast of "Wolfen". For the movie "Predator", do you think the use of video solarization and weird audio effects for "monster" point of view was stolen from "Wolfen"? I thought "Predator" was the first movie to use the picture and sound techniques to present monster point of view to the audience, but no..."Predator" not first.

Rusty

I have noticed that AMC is creeping back toward more of its older 20th-Century Fox material. Not showing all of it in letterbox, mind you--and the commercials are still there--but this morning I caught the end of We're Not Married and the beginning of How to Marry a Millionaire, which made for a cheery start of the day. (TCM was showing How the West Was Won, which I can take or leave.)

I tend to avoid AMC because of the commercials...although I did watch "Breakfast At Tiffany's" last Saturday (knowing there would be no edited content.) Does AMC edit content? I can't imagine why they would. I watch "Nip/Tuck" (on FX) and if that were a theatrical release, if would be rated R (well, maybe PG-13.)

> Does AMC edit content? I can't

> imagine why they would.

AMC does edit content. The only time I watch AMC is if they're showing something rare from the 20th Century Fox library (they've been showing "Tales of Manhatten" lately) or if they're showing "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte". In the latter, AMC cut out an entire section of the movie near the beginning.

For anyone familiar with "Charlotte", they cut out the entire luggage carrying scene with Joseph Cotten and Agnes Moorehead, right up until the part where she walks away, muttering about "the key to the cellar". It's not that integral to the plot, but it's one of my favorite scenes, so seeing it butchered was a real let down.

Man, "The Devil's Rain" is good old fashioned schlock. Ernest Borgnine is fantastic in that one. And by fantastic, I mean campy and hilarious. I love when he turns around at the end and has horns!

Their change is a result of a lawsuit brought by a cable company. As close as I can recall the cable co. said AC violated their contract which called for a percentage of movies shown to be made before a particular date. After the great change it was felt they no longer showed enough "classic" movies. A judge agreed. With that they started scheduling more movies that fit their original intent.

I am familiar with that scene. Why would they cut that? For time? That's unacceptable. I'm glad I avoid AMC. It's a pity, because I loved that channel when it first came out (long before TCM.) I bought a DVD recently (at a 99 cents store) with two silent movies from the "AMC Collection." I didn't check the running times. Surely, they aren't edited?

Oh pattypancake. How could you? Do I detect a touch of guilt in your post? Are you looking for redemption for your horrible deed? The tar is being heated and the feathers are being plucked over at TCM. Repent before it's too late.

I haven't watched AMC since they made the switch, and I won't in the future, but deep down inside, I know there are "closet" AMC fans right here on this very forum. (We must hunt them down and destroy them to keep them from multiplying.) I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've even caught my wife watching AMC and it drives me up the wall when we happen to have the same movie on a beautiful uncut DVD just feet from where she's sitting. I'm gong to miss her.

Seriously, if it makes you happy, enjoy yourself.

I don't like the commercials...but I watch films on AMC once in a while. A couple of months ago I watched "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison" over there and quite enjoyed it. But I recorded it on TiVo and fast forwarded through the commercials.

I'm not a huge fan of horror films...so I have no interest in their monster festival or whatever. I thought we had too many films like that on TCM in October...so I wasn't gonna go look for MORE. *lol*

But to each his own, I guess!

Glad you enjoyed yourself.