Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies Playing in New York on Nov. 8, 1942

MrBoynton

I was doing some microfilm research this week through 1942 copies of the New York Times, and was tickled by what I found in the movie ads (and impressed by how many of the films I've been able to see thanks to TCM). So, I thought I'd share a few of my "findings."

If you had been in Manhattan sixty-four years ago yesterday (Nov. 8, 1942), and wanted to while away your Sunday afternoon at a movie house, here are some of the choices you would have had --

The Astor Theatre at Broadway & 45th offered "Joyous" Judy Garland in For Me and My Gal ("The Town's New Hit!"), at popular prices with continuous performances. The Hollywood at Broadway & 51st was showing Now, Voyager ("Opens 11:30 A.M."), and the nearby Capitol Theatre had Jeanette MacDonald and Robert Young in Cairo ("Stars! Songs! Sultry Sirens! A Screenful of Gay Entertainers!"). Meanwhile, the Rivoli at Broadway & 49th was showing George Sanders in The Moon and Sixpence ("Have You Seen the Picture All New York Is Cheering?").

The biggest hit in town was The Pride of the Yankees, held over at the Palace on 47th Street and playing at forty-five RKO theatres. It was showing for the first time at popular prices ("Direct from 4 months at the Astor!"). You could also catch Ginger Rogers in The Major and the Minor on several Loew's screens, double-billed with Sin Town starring Constance Bennett. Other Loew's theatres around Manhattan boasted double-features as well -- Abbott and Costello in Pardon My Sarong (with Robert Stack in Men of Texas); Cary Grant in Talk of the Town (with The Spirit of Stanford); Fibber McGee and Molly's Here We Go Again (with Lloyd Nolan in Manila Calling); and Panama Hattie (with William Bendix in Brooklyn Orchid). And don't forget that "Sunday is a busy day at Loew's War Bonds Booths!"

A ticket to the Strand on Broadway & 47th would treat you to Jack Benny in George Washington Slept Here, along with a live performance by Phil Spitalny and His All-Girl Orchestra. The Roxy at Seventh Avenue & 50th had Betty Grable in Springtime in the Rockies, plus a stage show featuring Raymond Scott and His Jump Quintet, comedian Jack Durant, and "other big acts in person." The Merry Macs were singing at the Paramount, just before screen showings of Fred MacMurray in The Forest Rangers ("Last Complete Stage Show at 10:30 P.M., Last Showing of Picture 11:30 P.M.").

If you wanted something a bit off the beaten track, there was the 5th Avenue Playhouse's "exclusive N.Y. showing" of Hedy Lamarr in Ecstasy ("The Most 'Whispered About' Film"), along with a second "spicy hit," False Rapture (Secrets of Sin). The Apollo, on 42nd Street, was playing The Pasha's Wives ("French Film - English Titles"). The World, on 49th Street, was charging a quarter for something called The Blonde Captive, narrated by Lowell Thomas.

Your choices at dozens of neighborhood theatres included A Yank at Eton, Calling Dr. Gillespie, The Glass Key, My Favorite Wife, Gunga Din, Mrs. Miniver, Meet John Doe, Across the Pacific, The Gay Sisters, Orchestra Wives, One of Our Aircraft Is Missing, Desperate Journey, and at the Yorktown on Broadway & 89th, a double-feature of Blossoms in the Dust and Duck Soup.

Finally, the two Trans-Lux theatres (which showed nothing but newsreels) featured a report on the outcome of the mid-term Congressional elections. It was titled, "Republicans Regain Strength Throughout Nation."

I live near one of the busiest movie complexes on the east coast I would hope that they would give up their smallest theater on a Saturday morning or a Monday night and show an old movie but....... no.

We do have two theaters in Baltimore that do it but it isn't that often.

This is a reprint which I posted months ago, and thought would be a good companion to Mr. Boynton's outstanding post.

Playing at The Capitol Theatre New York in 1930:

(All movies MGM productions unless otherwise stated) A stage show was also presented.

01/10 - 'Navy Blues' - William Haines & Anita Page

01/17 - 'It's a Great Life' - The Duncan Sisters

01/24 - 'Their Own Desire' - Norma Shearer & Robert Montgomery

01/31 - 'The Bishop Murder Case' - Basil Rathbone & Leila Hyams

02/07 - 'Not So Dumb' - Marion Davies

02/21 - 'Chasing Rainbows' - Bessie Love & Charles King

02/28 - 'A Lady To Love' - Vilma Banky & Edward G Robinson

03/07 - 'Lord Byron of Broadway' - Charles Kaley & Ethelind Terry

03/14 - 'Anna Christie' - Greta Garbo & Charles Bickford

04/04 - 'The Girl Said No' - William Haines & Leila Hyams

04/11 - 'Montana Moon' - Joan Crawford & John Mack Brown

04/18 - 'Free and Easy' - Buster Keaton & Anita Page

04/25 - 'The Ship from Shanghai' - Conrad Nagel & Kay Johnson

05/02 - 'Redemption' - John Gilbert & Eleanor Boardman

05/09 - 'The Divorcee' - Norma Shearer & Chester Morris

05/23 - 'Ladies of Leisure' - Barbara Stanwyck (Columbia)

05/30 - 'The Floradora Girl' - Marion Davies

06/06 - 'In Gay Madrid' - Ramon Novarro & Renee Adoree

06/13 - 'Lady of Scandal' - Ruth Chatterton & Basil Rathbone

06/20 - 'Caught Short' - Marie Dressler & Polly Moran

07/04 - 'The Unholy Three' - Lon Chaney & Lila Lee

07/11 - 'Let Us Be Gay' - Norma Shearer & Rod La Rocque

07/25 - 'The Sins of the Children' - Robert Montgomery & Leila Hyams

08/01 - 'Our Blushing Brides' - Joan Crawford & Robert Montgomery

08/15 - 'Way Out West' - William Haines & Leila Hyams

08/22 - 'Romance' - Greta Garbo

09/05 - 'Good News' - Bessie Love

09/12 - 'The Call of the Flesh' - Ramon Novarro & Dorothy Jordan

09/19 - 'Doughboys' - Buster Keaton & Sally Eilers

09/26 - 'Love in the Rough' - Robert Montgomery & Dorothy Jordan

10/10 - 'Those Three French Girls' - Fifi D'Orsay & Reginald Denny

10/17 - 'Billy the Kid' - John Mack Brown & Wallace Beery

11/07 - 'A Lady's Morals' - Grace Moore

11/14 - 'Brothers' - Bert Lytell & Dorothy Sebastian (Columbia)

11/21 - 'Min and Bill' - Marie Dressler & Wallace Beery

12/05 - 'Remote Control' - William Haines & Eileen Percy

12/12 - 'Way For a Sailor'- John Gilbert & Leila Hyams

12/19 - 'Passion Flower' - Kay Francis & Charles Bickford

> Wasn't he the boyfriend of Eve Arden in the television

> show "Our Miss Brooks"?

Yes, he was. I love Eve Arden and Our Miss Brooks, although I prefer the radio show to the TV show. For much of the radio run, the role of "bashful biologist" Mr. Boynton was played to perfection by Jeff Chandler. On TV, the role was given to the less-than-distinguished Robert Rockwell.

> I liked "Our Miss Brooks" also. I don't remember the

> radio show bur I do remember Richard Crenna as a

> squeaky voice teenage student on the television

> series. I don't remember his characters name. I'm

> sure you do could you tell me what his name was?

Walter Denton

Dear Mr. Boynton & Mr. Mongo,

Could you guys pick me up at my house in Mr. Peabody's Way-Back machine, please? I'm the nerdy looking kid with the big head and black horned rim glasses. I'll be waiting for your arrival eagerly with my friend Moira. Thanks a million for the '42 & '30 lineups at the local theatres. Maybe we can get back there for the midnight showings, hmmm??

Sincerely,

Sherman, a Boy

Thanks, Sherman/Moira. Now you've got me flashing back to one of Mr. Peabody's jokes. It came at the end of the episode where Peabody and Sherman travel to the 1880s to visit the boxer John L. Sullivan --

Sherman: What a fighter he was, Mister Peabody. Probably the most famous of all time.

Peabody: True, Sherman, but his manager was equally famous.

Sherman: Mister O'Hara?

Peabody: Oh, yes, he joined the Marines, and became the most talked-about celebrity of our time.

Sherman: I never heard of him, Mister Peabody.

Peabody: Really, Sherman? You never heard of... Marine O'Hara?