Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Marlon Brando Collection

Anyone planning on getting the "Marlon Brando Collection" which came out on Nov. 7th? It has the following films:

Reflections of a Golden Eye

Mutiny on the Bounty

Teahouse of the August Moon

The Formula

Julius Caesar

This is the first time any of the films were put on DVD. I've seen all of them. Why can't they put "Viva Zapata", "Candy", "Bedtime Story" in this box set??? I've never seen those films and "Viva Zapata" is supposed to be a very good film.

In reference to "Reflections In A Golden Eye," I recently wrote a heartfelt tribute which appeared in The Boston Globe when that unsung Brando effort screened at The Brattle, the city's finest retrospective cinema...

"REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE" Brattle Theatre, 40 Brattle Street, Cambridge. 617-876-6837. 10-01 and 10-02 at 4:45, 9:30pm. $9.00, $7.50 members and students. www.brattlefilm.org

What better way to celebrate movie maverick John Huston's centennial than with a screening of one of his most underappreciated efforts? Overlooked upon it's initial release in 1967, Huston's adaptation of Carson McCullers' novel still feels unsettling and cutting edge nearly forty years later. Elizabeth Taylor, in full virago mode, is a delight as the braying, unfaithful wife of a repressed gay army major, superbly played by Marlon Brando (who considered this one of his best performances); Julie Harris is the suicidal neurotic next door and Robert Forster is the constantly unclothed object of Brando's obsession. Upstaging them all is Zorro David, a non-professional cast as the flamboyant Filipino houseboy Anacleto. Toshiro Mayuzumi's luxurious score envelops the picture in a strangely sensual bath. View this as a bizarre black comedy and you'll have a great time. Look sharp to catch a glimpse of an uncredited Harvey Keitel as a soldier.

The newly restored "golden muted color palette" in the new "Reflections" DVD is nothing short of amazing. It creates another "character" and greatly improves and changes the film to a stunning experience.

Watching the trailer on the DVD in color, "Reflections" looks garish and a different fiilm altogether.

It's nothing short of amazing that Warner Home Video presented "Reflections" in the special golden bath process. Thank You to whichever executive had the intelligence, taste and integrity to restore the warm, burnished look to this incredible film. John Huston must be smiling down from heaven.

Apparently very few people saw the original in the correct "golden" process as the studio yanked that version out of release and re-issued it in a standard color format. Now viewers can see this cult favorite as it was originally intended.

Major Bravo!

• 3 weeks later...

If you haven't bought this collection for yourself or as a Christmas present for someone else yet:

Enter today for your chance to win it!

The Marlon Brando Collection (from Turner Entertainment Co. and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.) includes the following DVDs:

* Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) - 2-Disc Special Edition

* Julius Caesar (1953)

* Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967)

* The Teahouse of the August Moon (1956)

* The Formula (1980)

@ my website - http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=movie_indexA

Enter before December 12, 2006!

"Candy" was produced by, among others, ABC and Selmur Productions (the latter company also being behind the "Combat!" TV series). Anchor Bay issued "Candy" in 2001 on VHS and DVD, both now quite hard to find. Brando's performance has to be seen to be believed.

"Viva Zapata" was issued by Fox on VHS in its old Key Video line. That's another toughie to find.

"Bedtime Story" seems to be available in Europe on DVD but only on a Universal VHS in America.

I've just completed the last of my reviews for the films in this collection (available by clicking the title of each on the sweepstakes giveaway webpage).

Last chance to win this DVD collection; contest expires tomorrow!

The Marlon Brando Collection (from Turner Entertainment Co. and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.) includes the following DVDs:

* Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) - 2-Disc Special Edition

* Julius Caesar (1953)

* Reflections in a Golden Eye (1967)

* The Teahouse of the August Moon (1956)

* The Formula (1980)

@ my website - http://www.classicfilmguide.com/index.php?s=movie_indexA

Enter before December 12, 2006!