Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

EW's Dave Karger for "The Essentials???"

spence

I've had a sub to Entertainment weekly since about 1992 & remember Dave Karger joining it in recent yrs However, he just seems too young?

Plus, TCM always had 2 hosts for it, what happened there?

Bring WINONA back once in awhile again, she's not just an actress, but producer & is a huge classic moviebuff & she's turning 45 soon, not 25-(just kiddin') but they are now obviously trying to appeal to a younger audience

Spence,

I think The Essentials is in a holding pattern while TCM waits for Robert Osborne's recovery (or decision to do something else), so for now Dave Karger is acting as a place holder for movie introductions on Friday and Saturday nights.  In past seasons The Essential movies would have one rerun each complete with the introductions by Robert and the guest host, so I believe I read here that the plan was to have Robert and Sally Field come back and do the introductions for the second showings.  Of course any such plans are fluid depending on when/if Robert is available, but for now the spot is being kept open for him.

I've had a sub to Entertainment weekly since about 1992 & remember Dave Karger joining it in recent yrs However, he just seems too young?

Plus, TCM always had 2 hosts for it, what happened there?

Bring WINONA back once in awhile again, she's not just an actress, but producer & is a huge classic moviebuff & she's turning 45 soon, not 25-(just kiddin') but they are now obviously trying to appeal to a younger audience

Karger is just a couple of years younger than Winona. He graduated from Duke University in 1995.

I liked Essentials up to a point, that point was when the series was repeated three times during the year.  To me the best "discussion" team was Bob and Alec Baldwin.  I know he is so controversial in other matters but his controversies have nothing to do with his knowledge and skill in discussing movies and their different aspects.  Additionally he was absolutely top notch for the Bob interview. 

I know I sound prejudice in this but I want someone mature to discuss classic movies and essentials and this necessarily involves those who are close to the industry in some aspect of its business/artistry.  Anyway one person's opinion. 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings