Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Interesting article in NYT

CinemAL

The new film "The Good German" was shot using techniques from the 1940's.

Interesting read. For NYT you need to join - free and painless.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/12/movies/12kehr.html?_r=1&ref=movies&oref=slogin

I think it would be neat to remake a movie using the same dialogue word for word and as close to the same set as possible. Probably couldn't do it with a great classic though.

Al

Thanks, CinemaAL. I really enjoy all of Joseph Kanon's novels, such as Los Alamos, Alibi, and The Good German. They resonate with a forties feel and are highly engaging little thrillers laced with romance and history that is still influencing us today. I look forward to the movie version of The Good German, especially since Soderbergh's star, George Clooney, is one of the few whose film persona seems to link him with that period. Yes, and he's not bad to look at either. It was also good to read of the director's appreciation for that rather neglected iconic craftsman, Michael Curtiz.

Thanks Moira.

What are his books like?

I am really looking forward to this movie because of the article, Clooney and the black and white. Clooney has done several things involving B&W and seems to love the past. The part about camera angles / dimensions was really interesting.

AL

Re: What are Joseph Kanon's books like?

Kanon writes historical fiction which usually centers around some of the profound events of WWII, and he incorporates actual individuals with his fictional creations in a mystery/thriller genre that wrestles, (gently and entertainingly, believe it or not), with many issues, such as nuclear proliferation, science and society, war, the individual's private life versus public duty, and all manner of political and philospohical questions.

Los Alamos, for instance, has Enrico Fermi, J. Robert Oppenheimer and General Groves as a part of the story, though it centers on a fictional character dealing with the members of the Manhattan Project who were, for a variety of reasons, involved in leaking the atomic secret to our then allies, the Soviets.

The Good German concerns a fictional member of Ed Murrow's 'boys' who returns to postwar Berlin, looking for a lost love, and deals with the tensions surrounding the disintegrating alliance among the big three powers at the Potsdam conference, war crimes trials, guilt, innocence, individual responsibility and lessons learned or ignored by the U.S., the Soviets and Britain. It's a marvelous read, and I don't think that my knowing the story beforehand is likely to keep me from seeing the film.

If you'd like to check out any more info about the author Kanon or his books, you might enjoy reading his website at the following address, which also seems to feature more about the upcoming flick, too:

http://www.josephkanon.com/josephkanon.htm

I hope that you'll keep posting CinemAL. Btw, that b & w photography in a modern movie really appeals to me too!

I think I'm one of the few people in the U.S. that enjoyed Good Night, Good Luck, so I'm looking forward to seeing the Good German. I think I liked GNGL because of the taste of the older movies, and Ed became a hero of mine while reading about the beginning of the McCarthy days.

Anne