Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Joan Crawford

mememe

Oh my gosh, yes! I loved seeing Robert Montgomery and William Powell together... I remember thinking even with how adorable Montgomery was that Powell was just in a different league! ;) I watch this movie over and over... So much fun. All three were just perfect together... *grins from ear to ear* What a delight! :)

But William just couldn't shake that butler image, could he?

I'm a HUGE fan of "drawing room" comedies and comedies of manners, just like THE LAST OF MRS. CHEYNEY. Another movie in a similar vein is WHEN LADIES MEET. Now, Joan did a remake of this movie with Greer Garson and Robert Taylor, but if you've seen the original with Myrna Loy and Robert Montgomery (and the delightful Alice Brady), you might agree with me it is the better version.

Ah me, I went to see BORAT last night and half-way thru it I was squirming in my seat, wishing I was back with Bill, Bob, Clark, Joan and all the rest---back to clean fun! How the world has changed! :(

Miss G

Miss G.:

Oh goodness, I know the feeling! I was watching a modern movie with my mother last night (she likes a few of the oldies, but they have to be quick-paced). I remember just wanting to watch a classic so badly... Maybe I'm just not made for the modern cinema anymore! I wonder if I will ever be able to enjoy the flicks I used to watch without the prejudice of classic films beaming down on me. Nothing compares to them.

When Ladies Meet? I've never seen that one but I've already got a bug to see it! If you don't mind, Miss G, what year was the orignal?

bhf1940

• 4 weeks later...

Joan Crawford is my absolute favorite actress bar none. She has a magic quality I find mesmerizing and can never take my eyes off her - even in her bad movies. Now that is a truly amazing actress and movie star who can do that. One of her best MGM movies and most underrated performances is in The Bride Wore Red. It was one of the movies that got her labeled box office poison but it is a great movie and wonderful performance. Joan is totally unsympathetic throughout the movie foreshadowing many of her later Warner Bros. films. It's a shame that Louis B. Mayer screwed around with the original script which would have mad Joan's character an overt prostitute instead of a cabaret chanteuse in this watered down version. Still Joan is magnificent and Franchot Tone gives and excellent performance. And the magnificent epynomous bugle bead dress is soooo damn sexy and actually looks red even in black and white. And this was one entire year before Davis made Jezebel. I can go on and on about Crawford. She has provided me with years and years of happiness.

Check out this great new website that her grandson has started to help resurrect Joan's image. It is fantastic and we should all support it.

http://joancrawfordma.tripod.com/

Best, Joe

Thanks for posting that link---I visited that website a while ago and it's marvelous, full of information---and you can email her grandson questions which he'll answer on the site.

She was a real Movie Star and I admire her for how very hard she worked to improve herself and her life.

Miss G

Just recently read the latest Crawford bio by David Bret. It's not very good. Many, many mistakes that should have been caught by a proof reader i.e. a caption on a picture that says Crawford is putting on makeup in her dressing room during the filming of Sadie McKee when it is obviously (to those who are Crawford fanatics) The Gorgeous Hussy. Stuff like that shouldn't be allowed to make it to print if a book is properly researched and proofed over and over again by a discerning eye. There are many more errors like that throughout the book - even about other people. He actually says that Norma Shearer never remarried after Irving Thalberg died in deference to his memory. That is a bold face lie. She met a ski instructor, in Sun Valley Idaho I believe, and fell in love and married him in the mid 1940's and stayed married to him until his or her death. Stuff like that just drives me crazy. He actually attributes the famous line in Baby Jane "All this time we could have been friends" to Joan's character when everyone knows that Bette Davis utters that famous line. This is very sloppy writing - I could go on with many many more examples but let's leave it where Jesus flung it as Joan would say.

I've noticed that the further removed we are from those times the more these careless errors creep into biographies. And it is carelessness, because the facts are easily checked. However, if you think books are culprits, you must notice how often newspaper and internet articles get it wrong!! I get "alerts" for articles that have been written on certain directors and its amazing how innaccurate they can be, and not about teensy weensy details, but major gaffs.

Thanks for the warning about the Joan book. TCM's documentary on her was very good, I must say.

Miss G

P.S. Another area where I've noticed inaccuracy is in film commentaries on dvds---beware of them. I've listened to some mistakes that are so irritating---because they skew the point-of-view---I've shut off the commentary altogether.

Did anyone happen to see "Dead Famous: Ghostly Encounters" on Tuesday? They were trying to convoke Joan Crawford's spirit in a seance and I have to say it was strange. I don't believe in this but it was interesting to see all her favorite places and the stage set of "What Ever Happened To Baby Jane".

I've seen that episode. I think that show is very silly but it is fun to see the places the celebs used to frequent.

I always watch that show with a little trepidation, since I'm not sure how I'd feel if it were my dead relative whose spirit someone were running around trying to channel ... but since it is so plainly ridiculous, I don't think it does any harm.

I watched THE DAMNED DON'T CRY this weekend---has anyone else seen it? I never even heard of it before but now it's one of my favorite JC movies. It is quintessential Joan in every respect: the downtrodden, poor housewife leaves home after the death of her son and connives her way to become the mistress of a powerful syndicate leader---and someone loses his life along the way.

This noir benefits from some spectacular desert location shots and from its topical basis on the scandal about Bugsy Siegel and his mysterious "moll".

The Damned Don't Cry is on dvd with a "making of..." featurette and commentary by its director (and Joan's former lover) Vincent Sherman.

Miss G