Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[i]Hide Out[/i], 1934

Hey All! :)

I recorded a movie with Robert Montgomery, called Hide Out the other night. Watched it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it... It was so delightful! Does anyone have any extra info or comments on it? Whether you liked it or no... Was it very popular when it came out in 1934?

bhf1940

I also like this. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure, since the plot is so cheesy. I don't know much about the making of the film, except that the same team of screenwriters Goodrich and Hackett and director W.S. Van Dyke made this on the heels of "The Thin Man," and we all know how that turned out. They also had done "Penthouse" a couple of years earlier, one of my favorite pre-codes.

Robert Montgomery and Maureen O'Sullivan were probably the two most charismatic stars on earth at the time, which helped. Aside from the lame story and the presence of Mickey Rooney (who I never could tolerate) it's a fun film.

If I see that it's on, I usually end up watching it.

Hi Bobhopefan! It's one of my favorite RM movies. Just delightful---he and Maureen O'Sullivan are really good together and the supporting cast are top drawer. I thought it was one of Mickey Rooney's most believable junior roles.

"Hide-out" had a good Oscar nominated screenplay.It must have been quite successful since it was remade as "I'll Wait for You" with Robert Sterling and Marsha Hunt almost word for word and scene for scene seven years later.Mickey was indeed at his best in "Hide-out", but both versions were quite entertaining.

Thanks for mentioning a re-make---I'm going to look out for it. The screenplay was very good and so was the acting. Shows you can take a plot-line that's been done to death and breathe new life with the right elements.

Thanks to all... I loved all the scenes with the animals, but esp. the scene where he feeds the chickens! Probably could have done without the cow milking scene...

I loved the part where he goes to look at the rabbits just to find out she bought the dress for him, I thought it was so cute! I can't say enough about it... Was such a pleasant surprise. Discovering some of these lesser known titles can be such a pleasure!

bhf1940

• 3 weeks later...

Hey rosiefly !

Welcome to the site! I went searching a bit on the net but couldn't come up with an answer to your question... :( But Mr. Montgomery sure can whistle, can't he? This movie really is adorable and I have watched it several more times since I saw it first. And I hope to see you around the boards! Montgomery fans are always welcome ;)

Oh and to anyone who can help me out... The end of this movie really bugs me. When "Willie" hands Lucky the two rabbits and say they will be good company, then Montgomery hands them to the cop. When he says... "Keep these for me, I want them back. You can keep the rest." What does that mean?... Any help?

hide1.jpg

Good morning all. I saw the thread and just couldn't pass up a chance to chat w/some Robert Montgomery fans. I absolutely adore Hide Out. I am a big fan of Robert's but I am especially fond of this movie. I agree that he is indeed a good whistler!

It's neat when a little, routine studio film attracts its share of admirers. I mean, it's one thing when Casablanca or GWTW and other "masterpieces" get lots of attention but when a movie that Robert Montgomery probably didn't even want to do in the first place is rediscovered, it's rather special. I think if he were alive today he would be astonished anyone even knew of its existence!

Miss G

I agree with Miss G but I have to admit I have become obsessed with this movie since it aired on Turner. I don't know why, but something about it rubbed me the right way. I enjoyed this film much more than Casablanca ;)

I just love all of Montgomery's speech in this... He says "...it's a frame-up" three times! One of my favorite scenes is when he finds out she bought the dress just for him and confronts her about it...

I saw the thread and just couldn't pass up a chance to chat w/some Robert Montgomery fans.

Hey, LCJenne! If you have any favorite Montgomery pre-codes, be sure to visit the "Precode" forum. He has his own thread there! :)

Yes I have seen it, and am fortunate enough to have recorded it during his stint as SOTM back in January. And you are so right, his is Sexy in that. If I were forced to pick a favorite, that one would definitely be in the top 5

Actually, Montgomery didn?t mind making Hide-Out. Although still a playboy, his gangster character was somewhat against type. He enjoyed working with O?Sullivan as well as the rest of the cast and director and it showed in his performance, which was very smooth and seemed effortless. This is one of my favorite Montgomery films--I love his tough talk as well ("Emma was good while she lasted"). One of my favorite scenes takes place in the living room with O?Sullivan asking about Lucky while chewing her pencil, Rooney hoping Lucky stays sick a long time so he can get a BB gun and Patterson just shaking her head and mumbling under her breath ?I hate to think what we?re going to have to go through with when he grows up?? So many wonderful moments and details, great pace, cast and performances were packed into this little gem of a film.

I'm glad to hear that. It is a gem of a little film and I love Montgomery's "wise guy" cracks. He's hilarious in the hen-house. One of my favorites of all his movies. The Earl of Chicago was another where he got to play a street guy.

I'm also happy to know that Here Comes Mr. Jordan is coming to dvd.

Miss G

Here Comes Mr. Jordan was great! I really stray away from some of his 40's pictures but really enjoyed that one... I'll have to watch it again, I've only seen it once.

I love the hen house seen as well... "Hording, ay? You did good, you know that don't you?" It's just his accent makes every line so funny.

I'm going to have to go through my tapes and see if I managed to record HIDE OUT when it was RM month on TCM. I got several goodies, like The Mystery of Mr. "X" and The Earl of Chicago, but I'm not sure about this one. You all have made me want to see it again!