Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Adventures of Prince Achmed tonight

bradtexasranger

Thanks for bringing the arrival of Prince Achmed to my attention on tonight's schedule. I'll be there, for the second time, ready to be carried away by Lotte Reiniger's retelling of an Arabian Night tale through her imaginative use of silhouette animation. I hope that you will enjoy it, though it may take a few moments to became enthralled in this early animated beauty.

In our CGI and digitally enhanced era, we forget that a story can be emotionally and visually involving using the simplest elements. If you're open to the humor, ingenuity and beauty of storytelling at its most imaginative, I think that you'll like this film, especially the wonderful attention to detail, the delightfully wondrous special effects such as rippling water, flight, and the tinting in some sequences.

You might wish to give it a chance if you like animation generally, Brad. Besides, if you or i check out the boards at that hour, we both know that most of our "fun" reading on the boards won't be about movies, alas. Please let me know your opinion of the movie if you catch it.

Yeah, I caught this a year ago but watched it again last night. A beautiful piece of work by Lotte Reiniger. There's not much available of her 40+ films. Prince Achmed is the only one in print. I found these out-of-print VHS:

B00004RY4U.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00004RXD5.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I read she did "ombres chinoises" (Chinese shadow puppetry) for Don Quixote (1933, GW Pabst). I've never had the chance to catch it. Anyone out there seen it?