Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Extra on "Meet Me In St. Louis"

I believe it was "Helen Gilbert" here's a list of full credits:http://imdb.com/title/tt0037059/fullcredits

Not much of a bio she was 80 when she passed away was only in about 15 films...Try Here:http://imdb.com/name/nm0318070/

vallo

Message was edited by:

vallo13

I just watched a trailer of "Andy Hardy Gets Spring Fever", featuring Helen Gilbert, and it isn't the same actress. If you pull up the TCM picture of Judy Garland singing the Trolley Song, the actress I'm researching has on a blue/violet dress and hat, and in the sequence, she spots John Truett first, and gives him a wink, then gets up so he can sit in her place.

First, for those wondering how to get to the picture that's mentioned, I think this link will take you there:

http://www.tcmdb.com/title/title.jsp?stid=310

Second, I think the answer is on the audio commentary of The Harvey Girls. Director George Sidney introduces us to all of the chorus girls, who often worked as a group from one musical to the next at the Freed Unit. As I recall he names this vivacious extra/chorus girl and tells some anecdotes about her. [i'd look it up for you, but I'm presently 3,000 miles from my copy.] If anyone has this, maybe they can check it out for you...

You're in for a treat! It's like watching the movie with the director. He's charming and knows the stories of all those involved with the film. It's one of my favorite commentaries; I'm betting you'll have a great time with this.

Please let us know the extra's name, when you find it.

Ah shucks, I think that was a wild goose chase. I'm back home, and one of the first things I did was slip The Harvey Girls into the DVD player to find the answer. But now I see that I'd mixed up this gal with Dorothy Tuttle (one of the extras in Harvey Girls. So the mystery remains... who was on the trolley?

I was going to check out the DVD, but "real" life got in the way of "reel" life, so didn't get a chance last night. I didn't remember her in "The Harvey Girls", but then, since Virginia O'Brien disappears halfway thru the movie, I figured anything could happen.....thanks, Jack, for checking it out for me. I've seen her in another Judy Garland movie, just don't remember which one...maybe more coffee would help....

Nancy

No, I think that's Helen Gilbert. She may have been in MMSL, but not the one I'm trying to identify. Several msgs down in the thread, Jack Burley found a link to the picture I was talking about, of Judy Garland and this girl on the trolley. It's a great close up of her. Thanks for trying to help me "solve the mystery"..

• 1 month later...

I've noticed this gal every time I've seen this movie! I've been meaning to check the film again ever since this thread began. Tonight I watched my 50th-anniversary VHS edition of the movie and for the first time watched all of the extra features at the end of the tape. Among those is "Meet Me in St. Louis: The Making of an American Classic," narrated by Roddy McDowall. In it, a lady named Dorothy Raye, identified as an MGM dancer, is interviewed. A brief clip of the film is shown, and I think the lady in blue is in the clip. Then, there's a 1940s b/w studio photo of a very beautiful woman (which to me doesn't totally look like the gal in question, at least as she appears in the film). Then, she's shown in the "present day" (c. 1990-1993), talking about Judy Garland and the film.

This featurette is on the special-edition DVD too. Does anyone have that DVD who can post the clip I'm talking about? I'll try to post a clip, but I'm not sure if I can make one from this VHS to a DVD.

Searching the Internet brings up a few references that Dorothy Raye was in the film, but her name is not on IMDb's list for the film. In fact, she has only 2 credits on IMDb period, "Cimarron" (1931) and "Kathleen" (1941). The latter is an MGM flick and has at least one dance number, apparently.

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000EWBOGS.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V55539564_.jpg

Every credit list I've found has a "Girl on trolley...Helen Gilbert" line. I don't know this movie well - was there another credit-worthy girl on the trolley aside from the one you describe? If not, I think Vallo had it from the start.

Message was edited by:

LuckyDan

Thank you Mr. Fan, I'd forgotten about the Meet Me in St. Louis: The Making of an American Classic documentary. I just pulled it out; but alas, I don't think Dorothy Raye is the one...

Helen Gilbert? The picture of Ms. Gilbert that Ayres showed doesn't look like the woman on the trolley. But I suppose people change over the years...

Are we talking about the woman in Blue in the back left in this photo?

meetmeinstlouis02.jpg

Can't help on the search but thought this might come in handy for those that are scavenging.

Kyle (who opened a Photobucket acct just to upload this image) In Hollywood

Ok Searchers -

If you go to the webpage for "Meet Me In St. Louis" at TCMDB, at the top of the entry to the right of the photgraph there is a link for "production photos"

Clicking on the link will load a new description page. The TCM Database has a collection of make-up and costume test pictures online for browsing. There is a link that reads "click here to see the materials" that will open a new window and will load the first of the test stills. These are B / W photos of various cast members in their costumes.

Of the thirteen stills to view, number 4 may be of interest in this quest. It is a still of four young women from "The Trolley Song" standing in their costumes. And it gives each of their names - Ellyne Ray, Judi Blacque, Mary Jo Ellis and Beth Renner.

I can't match any of these girls to the Lady In Question by their faces. And none of them have the exact same outfit that looks llike the blue outfit. But maybe some of you others can find something valuable to aid your search from this photo though.

Kyle In Hollywood

Mr. B -

Happy for the gift I gave you. Sorry it didn't "fit", so to speak.

I don't think many people really know what is available for research and fun at the TCMDatabase. It is a safe bet that many of the best MGM / WB / RKO films have supplemental materials online like these test stills or promotional materials like lobby cards for viewing. There are random items posted everyday (every week?) on the TCMDatabase homepage. The pressbook for "A Patch Of Blue" is the homepage feature right now.

If I can think of any other leads for you Detectives, I'll definitely post them.

Kyle In Hollywood

ps - I guess I'll have to watch the showing of the film tonight to get the full effect of the spell she has cast on you all.

Wow! I hadn't checked back to see if anyone had answered my question in weeks...Thanks to ALL of you for all the detective work. I had found the production stills a while back, but our lovely lady in blue is not in them. I spotted her in "The Great Ziegfield" with William Powell. She's in a big number when Cyd Charisse dances. She must have been someone's favorite, because she's always close enough to the main performer to be seen. As I already said, she was a great "re-acter" to whatever was going on. And that smile!

Thanks, all!

• 1 year later...

I thought I might trot this thread out again, no one has ever found the lady in question, but we live in hope..

I've only seen our lady in blue in a few 1940's era musicals. Jack Burley spotted her in *The Pirate* during a big screen showing at a theater in San Francisco, but that scene has been cut from the version shown on TCM. I caught a glimpse of her in the final number, "Varsity Drag", from *Good News* but you really have to look fast. Anyway, if any of our newer members have seen her, and know who she is, PLEASE share that information!

Thanks

Nancy

Just finished watching *Easter Parade* and there she was, in the "Steppin' Out with My Baby" number. She's very visible the whole time Fred is on the staircase, to his right. Green dress, red gloves and red feathers in her hair.

Anyone have a clue???