Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Old movies fodder for remakes

slaytonf

What brings this to mind is a Constance Bennett movie on tomorrow, one of my favorite of hers, and rarely aired on TCM.  It's Lady With a Past (1932).  Constance stars as a wealthy socialite (how unusual!) who is about as unsocial as they come.  Friends try to fix her up with guys, but she has a personality like wet paper--hey, it could happen.  Finding herself in Paris, she encounters an ex-patriot dude who is her opposite, penniless, yet in with the in-set.  And, no, a romance doesn't develop between them.  Something much more interesting.  She hires him to turn her from a caterpillar into a butterfly.  What makes the movie fun is a lot of smart no-nonsense dialogue.  Miss Bennett is in her element, and she is joined by, among others, Ben Lyon, one of the better of the male movie material around in the early soundie era.  I've always thought somebody with the right touch could put a neat modern angle on this old charmer.

Every once in a while as I'm watching an oldie, and not necessarily a goodie, either, I think, "You know, that one could be redone to advantage."  I do, too.

• Like 1

The Leslie Howard, Bette Davis,  Olivia DeHavilland comedy It's Love I'm After would make a nice plot for a modern remake.

Instead of being actors have the Howard and Davis characters be members of a Rock band (could be pop group or even country act).   The rest of the plot remains about the same.       e.g. Howard is full of himself thinking he is the greatest musician on earth.    Howard and Davis are an item but Howard cheats on her.     Howard has a friend who is engaged with a women that idolizes Howard and is thinking of calling off the wedding to pursue Howard.      Howard dates this women with the goal of getting her to see he is a jerk so the gal will go back to her fiancé.       Women just falls more and more in love with Howard.     Davis is clueless with regards to Howard's noble intentions thinking he is just cheating on her again. 

• Like 2

The Leslie Howard, Bette Davis,  Olivia DeHavilland comedy It's Love I'm After would make a nice plot for a modern remake.

Instead of being actors have the Howard and Davis characters be members of a Rock band (could be pop group or even country act).   The rest of the plot remains about the same.       e.g. Howard is full of himself thinking he is the greatest musician on earth.    Howard and Davis are an item but Howard cheats on her.     Howard has a friend who is engaged with a women that idolizes Howard and is thinking of calling off the wedding to pursue Howard.      Howard dates this women with the goal of getting her to see he is a jerk so the gal will go back to her fiancé.       Women just falls more and more in love with Howard.     Davis is clueless with regards to Howard's noble intentions thinking he is just cheating on her again. 

Like it, James.

Funny though, what with your first mentioning of Leslie and Bette here, I would've thought you were going to suggest another film both you and I have for so long thought would make for a great modernized remake.

(...YOU know which one that is, doncha) ;)

Like it, James.

Funny though, what with your first mentioning of Leslie and Bette here, I would've thought you were going to suggest another film both you and I have for so long thought would make for a great modernized remake.

(...YOU know which one that is, doncha) ;)

I don't.  I'll have to resort to IMDB.

I don't.  I'll have to resort to IMDB.

It would be THE PETRIFIED FOREST, slayton.

James and I have said for years now that that film, and a film which I don't believe has ever been remade, COULD make for a terrific remake by use of some modern and updated references.

Life With Fodder

Starring of course Abbott and Costello.

(...oh wait...they're both dead now...never mind...ya can't make a remake with dead people, now can ya...well, MAYBE with all this CGI stuff now days, MAYBE ya could)

;)

James and I have said for years now that that film, and a film which I don't believe has ever been remade, COULD make for a terrific remake by use of some modern and updated references.

Doh!  Got a cast in mind?

Doh!  Got a cast in mind? [for THE PETRIFIED FOREST-redo]

Uh-huh.

Chiwetel Ejiofor (he of 12 YEARS A SLAVE fame) as the disillusioned world traveler/Leslie Howard role.

Jennifer Hudson as the starry-eyed waitress/Bette Davis role.

...and...

Jamie Foxx as the escaped and on-the-run gangster(or I guess "gangsta" in this case)/Bogart role.

(...I like it anyway...and I'd watch it)

Uh-huh.

Chiwetel Ejiofor (he of 12 YEARS A SLAVE fame) as the disillusioned world traveler/Leslie Howard role.

Jennifer Hudson as the starry-eyed waitress/Bette Davis role.

...and...

Jamie Foxx as the escaped and on-the-run gangster(or I guess "gangsta" in this case)/Bogart role.

(...I like it anyway...and I'd watch it)

Reserve me a ticket!

Reserve me a ticket!

You got it!

That cast WOULD make a pretty good remake of TPF, wouldn't it!

(....although I'm not a hundred percent sure of Jamie in the Bogart role...got any other guys in mind?...I think Denzel might be a little too old now for it)

You got it!

That cast  WOULD make a pretty good remake of TPF, wouldn't it!

(....although I'm not a hundred percent sure of Jamie in the Bogart role...got any other guys in mind?...I think Denzel might be a little too old now for it)

I nominate Ice Cube. He might not be the greatest actor. But, he can play angry very easily. And I'm sure he could shoot a man in the gut if asked to :P

I nominate Ice Cube. He might not be the greatest actor. But, he can play angry very easily. And I'm sure he could shoot a man in the gut if asked to :P

Ya know Gerald, it's funny you bring up Ice Cube's name here.

For years now I've been thinking about a proposed remake of TPF and with the principals in it an all black cast. And, I had forgotten that I was so impressed with Ice Cube's performance in John Singleton's BOYZ N THE HOOD back in the day, that when I first began thinking of this years ago, it WAS Ice Cube who I had envisioned as the Duke Mantee role.

(...thanks for remindin' me about this)

• Like 1

You got it!

That cast WOULD make a pretty good remake of TPF, wouldn't it!

Um, I could answer that better if I were more familiar with the actors.  But I know I can rely on your judgement.

• Like 1

Couldn't you say KEY LARGO was a kind of remake of this one, Darg?  ;)

Recently, due to all the discussion elsewhere here about Westerns, and where and why they have gone, I was watching one of my favorites RIO BRAVO and wondered if IT would be a good "remake"

Same plot line and even the script, no "updating" the characters and personalities, but like just doing it "straight".  But I haven't settled on the cast.

For kicks, because I'm sure RICKY NELSON was chosen for box office draw, and wasn't too bad of an actor and had some experience in it, and sang well enough to duet with DEAN MARTIN,  I chose NICK JONAS for the role of Colorado.

And I think veteran BRUCE DERN would make an excellent STUMPY.  And I figure HARRY CONNICK Jr. for Martin's "Dude" character due to HIS acumen as an actor, and he can croon as well as Martin, too. 

I haven't figured out who would fit JOHN WAYNE's character. as he was 52 years old when HE did the original, and some I thought of would be(rather are) much older.  Or too small.  But maybe JOSH BROLIN?

It's a "work in progress".  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Re your RIO BRAVO remake, Sepia....good re-casting here, I'd say.

However, after just re-watching the original a month ago or so on TCM and for the first time in years, hopefully your remake's pacing could be speeded up a bit over the original.

(...'cause I rediscovered the fact that Howard Hawks' original pretty much moves at a glacial pace)

Recently, due to all the discussion elsewhere here about Westerns, and where and why they have gone, I was watching one of my favorites RIO BRAVO and wondered if IT would be a good "remake"

Same plot line and even the script, no "updating" the characters and personalities, but like just doing it "straight".  But I haven't settled on the cast.

For kicks, because I'm sure RICKY NELSON was chosen for box office draw, and wasn't too bad of an actor and had some experience in it, and sang well enough to duet with DEAN MARTIN,  I chose NICK JONAS for the role of Colorado.

And I think veteran BRUCE DERN would make an excellent STUMPY.  And I figure HARRY CONNICK Jr. for Martin's "Dude" character due to HIS acumen as an actor, and he can croon as well as Martin, too. 

I haven't figured out who would fit JOHN WAYNE's character. as he was 52 years old when HE did the original, and some I thought of would be(rather are) much older.  Or too small.  But maybe JOSH BROLIN?

It's a "work in progress".  ;)

Sepiatone

The movie Key Largo is based on the play Key Largo but yea,  that plot in the play is very similar to the one in The Petrified Forest.

Like your Rio Bravo remake casting choices.

OH, and btw, and re your following observation...

Yeah, I suppose there are some similarities between THE PETRIFIED FOREST and KEY LARGO, what with the basic storyline consisting of people being help prisoner by an underworld figure.

However, I believe the key difference between these two stories would be that in the latter the key underworld figure is pretty much unsympathetic start to finish and by virtue of his oft-expressed bent toward sadistic behavior.

And whereas in the former and because of certain verbal interchanges which take place between the protagonist(the disillusioned traveler) and the antagonist(underworld figure), we are given from the antagonist's point of view the prevailing social reasons for his becoming the social outcast which he had become and thus just a little more sympathetic. Factor in the thought that the Duke Mantee character in TPF exhibits a modicum sense of honor, albeit a perverse one, and whereas the Johnny Rocco character in KL does not, this just adds to our sense of sympathy for Mantee than it does for Rocco.

(...in other words you might say TPF is much more "socially-conscious" and delves into societal cause and effect, and whereas KL is pretty much a "good guy vs bad guy" sort of thing)

Edited by Dargo

OH, and btw, and re your following observation...

Yeah, I suppose there are some similarities between THE PETRIFIED FOREST and KEY LARGO, what with the basic storyline consisting of people being help prisoner by an underworld figure.

However, I believe the key difference between these two stories would be that in the latter the key underworld figure is pretty much unsympathetic start to finish and by virtue of his oft-expressed bent toward sadistic behavior.

And whereas in the former and because of certain verbal interchanges which take place between the protagonist(the disillusioned traveler) and the antagonist(underworld figure), we are given from the antagonist's point of view the prevailing social reasons for his becoming the social outcast which he had become and thus just a little more sympathetic. Factor in the thought that the Duke Mantee character in TPF exhibits a modicum sense of honor, albeit a perverse one, and whereas the Johnny Rocco character in KL does not, this just adds to our sense of sympathy for Mantee than it does for Rocco.

(...in other words you might say TPF is much more "socially-conscious" and delves into societal cause and effect, and whereas KL is pretty much a "good guy vs bad guy" sort of thing)

Well said;  I would add that another difference is the character make-up of the drifter.   In TPF the drifter is an intellectual, artistic type who is disillusioned with life in general.    So much so that he no longer wishes to live.   He ends up at the diner out of chance.

In KL the drifter has a purpose in going to Key Largo;  honoring his deceased war buddy and his family.    His disillusion is more associated with the fighting of the biggest war and how it really didn't change things much.  I.e. didn't rid the world of the Rococos.   This is a typical post war noir theme and one we briefly see in that drug store \ diner scene in The Best Years of Our Live (but there the disillusioned guy is really a fascist).

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings