Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Paramount silent and early sound features on TCM?

krazykatclassics

Did TCM aquire from Universal/MCA, the Paramount silent and early sound Paramout feature length films, as I could have sworn tcmprogrammer posted that story months ago.I do hope this is true, as I would love to see more Clara Bow films and some of those early bizzare pre-code muscials from Paramount.

Any kind of info is apperciated and thanks!

I believe they have leased a number of the pre-48 Paramounts from Universal, but I don't know if they took, or were even offered, all of them. That would amount to around 600 films. When the package was first put into syndication, to local tv stations, in the 1960s there were no silents in it. Since the studios really didn't see much value in silents, back then, I don't think any were included when Paramount sold the films to MCA (which later bought Universal).

An interesting fact is that Paramount sold all these films to MCA for about $3 million because they were in such bad financial shape. MCA was laughed at in the tradepapers for "wasting that much money on old films". Well, MCA made back that amount the first year and has profited hundreds of times over on the deal

There are some real treasures in those film, and I wish they could all find a home on TCM.

Paramount made in l929 one of the very best early talkie musicals, "Sunnyside Up" starring that delightful couple, Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell. I taped it off PBS years ago and watch it regularly. The camerawork is amazing and the sound excellent. You won't forget the songs and especially that bizarre, alll-out musical number, "Turn up the Heat' where 50 or more chorus girls writhe and grind to billowing columns of fire. It's also fascinating to study the fashions where all the women wear chiffon dresses and gowns and large hats. Gaynor and Farrell sing in natural, unaffected voices without that fake, harsh Broadway style that came into favor. Also, Clara Bow's best movies remain unseen because Paramount won't release to be played anywhere--not even in revival houses. Her early talkie, "Call Her Savage" is a knockout and belies the fact that her voice was unsuited for the microphone. It's fascinating to watch her in those revealing gowns as the half-breed Indian girl rollop through the movie and wiping everybody off the screen.