Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Marian Marsh 1913-2006 - Rest In Peace Precode Princess

Marian Marsh has just passed away. Marian didn't receive worldwide attention for her death only us classic movies know about it. Marian is one of my favorite actresses. Her heyday was in the pre-code era, it's funny how she fit into that era with her babyface beauty and girl next door image but at the same time she wasn't too much of a goody goody. Marian could be naughty and nice and even a little sexy. Marian usually played good girl unknowing about the world but by the end of the movie she would mature and become a desireable woman of world.

I first saw Marian in Five star Final, a wonderful pre-code movie about the corruption of the newspaper, Marian gave an explosive, chilling performance confronting the men who killed her parents, proving herself a fine actress not just a girl next door which is one of the best performance scenes in movie history if you ask me. Most of you commented on seeing Marian for the first time in Beauty and the Boss and was impressed with her as was I. I hoped TCM will give her a special movie day but probably not because of her not being a legendary star which is kind of unfair since I hope TCM wouldn't show favortism.

We only have a few left of the golden era Hollywood generation, pretty soon the whole generation will have died out. We only have Anita Page, Mary Carlisle, Barbara Kent who were major stars in pre-code era. I hope TCM will interview them, there's hardly nothing on them. I wish for these women to know their work is appreciated and admired. I hope Marian knew! Constance Cummings passed away last year around this time and no one knew unless finding it on their own. TCM didn't do a tribute to her or Marian.

There is finally more in depth information on Marian at the Internet Movie Database and a few lovely photos of Marian there. Before her death it was nothing, now there is a bunch of info. It's unfair that a person has to die before people take an interest in someone but that's how it always happens.

Here is a few obituaries I found on Marian

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/11obituaries/11marsh.html

Palm Desert pioneer Marian Henderson dies

The Desert Sun

November 9, 2006

Marian Marsh Henderson, a 1930s movie star who became a living symbol of old Palm Desert, died at her Palm Desert home this morning at age 93.

Henderson, who was featured in the 1930 Howard Hughes film, "Hell's Angels" as Marilyn Morgan, married Palm Desert found Cliff Henderson in 1960. A few years later, she founded Desert Beautiful, a non-profit organization recognizing environmental-friendly individuals and businesses.

Henderson achieved international fame as Marian Marsh in 1931 when she starred in "Svengali" opposite John Barrymore as a singing diva under the tutelage of the malevolent hypnotist from the novel, "Trilby."

Services by the Fitzhenry Funeral Home are scheduled for 10 a.m. Nov. 16 at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Palm Desert, her daughter, Cathy Scott of West Arkansas said this morning.