Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

British/Australian Actors Taking over US Cinema

PRODUCER01

Look, I'm not saying that British/Australian actors should not get work in American pictures, but when you have a guy like Jude Law making 6 movies a year, in roles that require him to have an American accent, while Sam Rockwell sits in his condo in LA calling his agent " where's work", that gets me a bit touch up and annoyed. Early this year, the picture "All The King's Men", the roles called for American actors, with southern vernacular. The characters were as American as characters can get. (the story takes place in Louisiana). All the major roles went to British Actors. Kate Winslet, Anthony Hopkins, Jude Law. Thank God the movie tanked. It made no more than 3 million dollars in theater. The movie was bad but sitting in the theater listening to Hopkin, Winslet, Law's Louisianian accent was torturous.

We have a number great American actors who are not getting work. Rather than employing bad tempered foreign actors who hit hotel clerks with telephone [sorry Mr. Crowe], we should not forget what makes this country the number one place for fine movies/entertainment. OUR ACTORS. Some are bad, but overall, we have some fine American actors who are being overlooked by major American studios, directors, producers, giving work that does not fit foreign actors. Too many excellent roles go to British/Australians actors in American produced films. It is simply not fair. Every major studio film this year, and last year, and the year before that had some British actor in it taking major roles.

Hugh Jackman has been in 6 movies this year. Christian Bale in 5. Sam Rockwell, 0. If you think I'm being paranoid, next time you go to the movies, during the previews, count how many British/Australian you see in each preview. I'm not jealous. I'm just a concerned, unemployed actor. From America.

null

null

Jude Law making 6 movies a year,>>

Jude Law did not make 6 movies in a year. He has not had six films released this year. But that is not my point. My point is that an actor can make a film and it can take anywhere from six months to a year for that film to be ready for release.

Then depending upon the studio's release schedule, the other studios' release schedules, and the always present, but rarely informative focus groups, a film can sit on the shelf for two months to two years or be released on time.

The bottom line, the actor has little control over the release date. Factors in an actors life (good publicity vs bad publicity) can cause a studio to rush a film into release or put it on the shelf. But the actor, himself/herself, has little control over that.

As for English actors playing Southern parts, there is the thinking in Hollywood that English actors are better at southern accents than non-Southern born actors. There is also the tendency here in America not to take a someone with a real Southern accent very seriously. American actors spend quite a bit of time and training to lose any sound of accent.

Who hires the actors? The studio has a say in who gets hired, the producers have a say in who gets hired, the director has a say in who gets hired and the focus groups have a very big say in who gets hired.

Americans like British actors . We always have. There are those who believe we go overboard in our love for all things British because we love their culture and their very "British'" attitudes as if that bestows some sort of class upon us.

If British actors stopped being popular, Hollywood would stop hiring them.

Perhaps the problem Sam Rockwell has is with his agent and those who chose his scripts.

As an example, I think Lawrence Fishburn is a great actor but the scripts he chooses often don't live up to the talent of the man himself.

<>

This is not just a problem for actors. Ever since movies became less expensive to make outside of Hollywood and California every one that works on movies has found it harder to get work.

Hollywood studios are the laziest in the world. They would rather go to another country and get a proven commodity than spend 5 minutes screen testing new talent. I was reading that foreign stars also have to play ball with the studios to keep their Visa, so suck-ups like Bale and Law will do almost anything to keep their contracts, they are not SAG members therefore do not abide by labor laws as the rest of the acting community does. Got to go with the worst souther accent award to Jude Law in All the Kings Men. It was as bad as the horrible Irish accents duplicated by DiCaprio and Diaz in Gangs of NY.

lzcutter: The bottom line, the actor has little control over the release date. Factors in an actors life (good publicity vs bad publicity) can cause a studio to rush a film into release or put it on the shelf. But the actor, himself/herself, has little control over that.

Those movies are still American produced movies. The date that they're released is not the issue. They can be released anytime they want.The fact that British/Australian faces are in every major American movie is cause for concern. What will happen to American Actors? I understand that Americans have always fund of British actors but, believed me, American studios, directors, are certainly going overboard.

RTRiley: they are not SAG members therefore do not abide by labor laws as the rest of the acting community

Indeed. And it seems like no one in the acting community is aware of this crazy trend of invasion. These actors prosper and flaunt their talent here more so than they do in their own country.Rachel Weisz, Jackman and a number of British actors lead the "Fountain" [a USA produced film] set to be released this month.

lzcutter, take Jackman for example, this guy has been in more than 6 movies this year. Taking crucial roles from talented American actors. And Winslet has to be the busiest actress in Hollywood right now. Its not enough to be married to Sam Mandes, whose had his share of work by American studios, shes also taking work from young talented American actress such as Rachel McAdams, who was superb in a little movie released in 2005 called "Red Eye" in which Cillian Murphy, Brian Cox both had principle roles. By the way, both Cox and Murphy are British.

null

Hi, everyone, how are you this blustery Illinois day?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I understood that certain scripts are sent to various actors to read and decide if they want to try out for the part. In other cases, an actor hears about a script and his agent contacts the producer to try to 'sell' his client. Still, in other instances an actor may want a certain role, whether starring or support, and go after it before the script is even written as in the case of best selling book. With all of these elements in place, isn't it then up to the casting director, or the film director himself to option their choice? How many stories have I heard wherein an actor turns down a role, as in the case of Mitchum and Patton.

Hugh Jackman is phenomenal. He does drama, light comedy, he played a gay guy on broadway to rave reviews, he does silly, goofy things like X-men, and through it all you are watching the character, forgetting its the same Hugh Jackman. On the other hand, I don't care that much for Kate Winslet, I loved her in Titanic, but nothing else she's done has really thrilled me.

I assume Hollywood is still, and will always be a case of being in the right place, at the right time, and knowing the right people never hurts. My son is a comedian, but in his case, it's not a 'dream', just a talent he has for making people laugh, so he does comedy clubs in L.A. and when the offers come, he goes. His actual living is made as a salesman, so he has plenty of free time to answer calls and do nightclubs, but he doesn't push it, just lets it come naturally. He feels if its meant to be, some day he will be in the right place, at the right time.

Anne

Since absolutely NONE of these movies are worth the price of popcorn, in my opinion (that includes almost everything new appearing in multiplexes, the only possible exception being "Brokeback Mountain," which featured two American actors), it really doesn't bother me. It's whatever the market will bear, sadly!!!

Thank God for TCM...

I really have to agree, otterhere, with very few exceptions recent movies just don't have the 'kick, or staying power' that older ones have.

I still don't understand the attraction of 'Brokeback Mountain'. I can't believe straight guys enjoyed it without cringing (sorry, but I know my late husband would have squirmed like a fish while watching), and I really don't even 'get' straight women (young or old) really not feeling a little uncomfortable on a date (I was alone at home watching on PPV and squirmed a little myself), and finally I imagine gay people of both sexes would be frustrated knowing first-hand the trials one goes through in that situation, especially in 1963. So why all the bru-ha-ha about it? - not to mention the record sales. I know I sound like I didn't like the picture, but that is not the point, I did like it although I can't pinpoint why, but it's not really a 'repeater' for me.

Anne

Beyond the cinematography, scenery, score, casting, script, and acting (all of which were impeccable, and I'm one harsh critic when it comes to modern film), it was a truly beautiful and moving "love story" if one can get past one's own prejudices enough to see it (I in fact completely lost sight of their gender and related it to my own tragic, thwarted heterosexual love; such things are universal and - hopefully - cross such lines; yes, I am a straight woman). I think it's a shame that grown people allowed themselves to be made so uncomfortable (almost a version of "yuck, girls have cooties" from eighth grade) as to miss it...

I totally agree with you, otterhere. "Brokeback Mountain" is a beautiful movie-on every level...and it is a shame that prejudices still exist. (Which is probably why it lost the Oscar for best picture? Just a guess...)

However, Heath Ledger is from Australia. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

mrsl :Hugh Jackman is phenomenal. He does drama, light comedy, he played a gay guy on broadway to rave reviews,

How many talented, unemployed American actors can do drama, light comedy, play gay, and get great reviews on Broadway? Tons. At present Nathan Lane came to mind.

How many talented, unemployed American actors can do drama, light comedy, play gay, and get great reviews on Broadway? Tons. At present Nathan Lane came to mind. >>

But Nathan Lane is not likely to get offered the movies that Hugh Jackman does not because Jackman is a foreigner but because Nathan Lane is older than Jackman. Nathan Lane is not going to get offered Jackman's role in "The Prestige" or "X-Men".

On the other hand, Jackman is not going to get offered a movie like "Birdcage".

It's not that Hollywood prefers foreign actors over home grown. Box office, as always, runs Hollywood and who the audience will pay to see on opening weekend often decides who gets the role.

But Nathan Lane is not likely to get offered the movies that Hugh Jackman does not because Jackman is a foreigner but because Nathan Lane is older than Jackman. Nathan Lane is not going to get offered Jackman's role in "The Prestige" or "X-Men".

Nathan Lane was just one example of many American talents. There are countless other actors who could do the roles Jackman has been doing in American produced film. Though you have made some great points, it still doesn't take away the fact that recently. when it comes to crucial roles in American cinema, home grown actors are overlooked; taking backseat to foreign grown. Mainly Australians and English actors

null

Oh, faddle-de-daddle. Let's have some compassion for the poor British actors, shall we? For one thing, most of them seem to be forced through years of ponderous theatrical training and/or Shakespeare (unless they happen to be Michael Caine) and just think what a bloody snoozefest that rigmarole must be. Secondly, how would YOU like to be forced to appear in a BRITISH movie? ;) ... God a'mighty. Well, I mean, British movies are all right. Sometimes. But ... well, watching a British movie can be kind of like watching an amateur drag show. You WANT to like it ... you clap for the effort ... but the look's a little off, the sound's a little off, and everybody's hair is fake. Being American, I may not be able to find Iraq on a map, but I can sure can find Hollywood! :D Bye for now.

Haha.

You're right about one thing. British movies do tend to look a bit off. They always seem to look like "made for tv" movies. I was watching Sean Bean in one, a respectable actor by American standard on the BBC channel and that movie did not seem the quality of a movie he should be in. The whole movies looked like it was probably made for less than $50,000. The quality of a Lifetime channel movie.Plain, and hurried.

null

I'll accept the fact that Nathan Lane can sing, dance, do comedy, drama and gay, but let's face it sexy and romantic he ain't! He would have to work awfully hard to make a viewers' heart go pitty-pat, like Jackson does just by coming on screen.

For all of you who defended Brokeback, I didn't mention the scenery, camera work, or acting because all of that went without saying, I didn't feel I had to point it out. Let's face it, the average movie goer doesn't look at cinematic effects or achievements, they want a good story, action of one kind or another, and nice looking people on screen. The point I was making, and I really would like answers from the straight men here. Truthfully, did you not feel a little uncomfortable in certain scenes? During the sex scene, and the kissing scene I know my husband and my sons also, would have been looking at everything in the theater or room, or at their hands, anything but the screen. Predjudice did not come into my mind at all, I squirm when two girls kiss on screen, it has nothing to do with predjudice, I am as straight as a yardstick and cannot imagine enjoying kissing another woman. That's not predjudice, it's a matter of preference!

Anne

Thats true. Some roles taken by this guy [Jackman], who I keep having to refer to are not the kind of characters Lane would have easy time doing. But there are many other American actors who can do those roles, but instead they often go to outside actors. I'm a straight man who believes in gay marriage. I have not a single bone of prejudice in my body. I did not see that movies because, seeing two men doing it on screen just makes me a bit uncomfortable. I don't mind two chicks doing it, but two men just make it very uneasy to watch.

> I really would like

> answers from the straight men here. Truthfully, did

> you not feel a little uncomfortable in certain

> scenes?

What?!? Only one straight man willing to come forward and answer the Missus??? Where in blue blazes are the rest of you??!? (*bats eyes and fans self like Bette Davis*)

La la la ... Straight men, straight men, looking for the straight men ... (*clears throat*): YOO HOOOO ...?! Straaaiiiight men ...?!?! :x

Disclaimer: the poster of the foregoing is a girl, not a limp-wristed fairy man. NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT.