Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Angel Face

mrsl

Good morning everyone!

I have seen this movie before, but when I woke up this morning it was just starting so i sat and watched it. This is one movie that always made me angry. You all know how I adore Bob Mitchum, but even if it hadn't been him as the star, I thought the ending was a crock. There was no reason to kill him off!. Even though he was a weakling to her wiles, as let's face it many men are, when he realized what she was, he tried to end it. But the fact is, he didn't do anything wrong at all. Why in the world did the writer have him get killed at the end? Remember, I'm not talking about Bob, himself, but the character. I knew I didn't like this movie, but couldn't recall exactly why since Bob was the star, which is why I watched this a.m. Can anyone give me a valid argument from the writers' viewpoint?

Anne

Have a good day :)

Perhaps it was the pessimism of being entangled in the black widow's deadly web.

The tragic hero follows her to his own doom. The old saying 'If you play with matches you'll get burned.'

I think deep down Mitchum's character in the film was aware of the diabolical underbelly of the situation, but was unable to accept the truth.

Ignorance is bliss, or in this case ignorance was death.

Very pessimistic film for sure, but I imagine the writer intended the pessimism to be symbolic of how a woman can control a man's mind, and transform his rational self into something tragically irrational.

Because the problem with all noir films from the classic period is that they were made in the days of the Production Code. And the Code stated all murderers must either a) get caught or B) get killed themselves.

Spoilers**********

I remember being a little PO'ed when the same thing happened in "Out of the Past". But that's Noir for you....

vallo

I just saw "Out of the Past" for the 1st time and loved it, except the ending. I knew Kathy had to die, because she was a multiple murderess. I was so upset when she killed Mitchum. Why? He really didn't do anything to anyone that required his death according to the code, did he? I have to admit, that is the first Bob Mitchum movie I have seen since "Cape Fear." He frightened me so much in that film that I haven't been able to watch any of his movies since. Boy, what I've been missing!

No, thanks. It's taken me YEARS to get over "Cape Fear" - like maybe 10-15. I don't want to see him like that again and then I'll really never watch any of his movies again. I rather liked him in Out of the Past, enough to be upset when his character got it. Anyway, I'll take it as a warning to stay away from "Night of the Hunter." Thanks.

Thanks for the info. I really started to lose my fear of him after seeing him on Cavett a few weeks ago. I was amazed at how intelligent he was. What a great vocabulary. I will have to look out for these films for sure. Thanks again, but I still have the question:

Why did his character have to die in "Out of the Past"? I am wracking my brain for what he did that deserved this according to the almighty "Code" ~ ok, he was walking the line - not quite straight, not quite a bad guy, but he didn't really murder anyone which is the death penalty of the Code. I knew Kathy had to get it but why him?

Peggy:

I'm with you on your question, that was my original idea when starting this thread, it made no sense for him to get killed in either movie, but following is a list of movies of his that you will probably enjoy, its a mix of drama and comedy, and some are from his prime of life.

The Lusty Men

El Dorado (w/ John Wayne)

Two for the Seesaw

Heaven Knows Mr. Allison

Not as a Stranger

Holiday Affair - Great little Christmas movie

Enjoy

Anne

Hi - In response to your question: Why did Mitchum have to die in OUT OF THE PAST? This is what I think: His death was meant to be a sacrifice in order for Anne (the nice girl who was in love with him) to move ahead with her own life without him. Remember when the young deaf mute (Dickie Moore) who was Mitchum's pal throughout the film, answers Anne's question at the end of the film ("Was he going off with her?" - meaning Jane Greer) he nods yes. It was this final gesture (on Mitchum's behalf) that helps set this girl free. Had Mitchum lived at the end it would have made for a very sloppy conclusion. He would still have to do some time based on his complicity in Kathy's crimes. Would that have required Anne to wait for him while he served his time? Not nearly as poetic as the way the film actually ends. Sad as it is, it is nonetheless redemptive. And my favorite film of all time (just about.)

I didn?t care for ?Angel Face.? Too many plot flaws.

Mitchum suspected Simmons from the very beginning, regarding the thing with the gas and the old lady in the opening sequence. Everyone in the beginning knew that Simmons would inherit the old lady?s dough, and Mitchum even mentioned his suspicion to Simmons a couple of times.

Then both her father and the old lady die in a tampered-car accident, and she inherits the money.

A major plot flaw was Mitchum going back to the house with Simmons and being there with her alone, after the trial and after he was sure she had killed the two people. He would have known by then that she was nuts and could kill anyone, including him and even herself.

If you suspected a dame of trying to kill someone, and then later she?s around a house when two people die in a tampered car, would you go over to her house by yourself?

The director missed out on a good plot suspense tactic by not allowing the audience to think that maybe it was Mitchum who had tampered with the car and maybe he had some reason to kill Simmons. But by pulling the thing with the gas stove at the very beginning, the suspicion was on Simmons from the very beginning. The last car wreck was a shock, but it wasn?t worth waiting 1 1/2 hours for.

In Cape Fear, Mitchum's shady Max Cady is one of the scariest individuals I've ever seen, so I don't blame you! But Bob's cool, relaxed persona is a joy to behold in countless other films where he's not the bad guy. Besides OUT OF THE PAST, you might enjoy HIS KIND OF WOMAN, which while dramatic in parts, is filled with humor, and for a real change of pace, HOLIDAY AFFAIR, where he is altogether loveable.

P.S. I hated for him to die in OUT OF THE PAST, too. *Shudder* I never want my leading men/ladies to die! :)