Chestnut Song by Nat King Cole

Holly Jolly Christmas

White Christmas

Santa Baby

I'll Be Home For Christmas

and My all Time Favorite is

Oh Holy Night.

that is just a few to mention.

Cute idea for a thread! My favorite is "We Need a Little Christmas" from Mame. Lyrics below.

"We Need a Little Christmas"

Haul out the holly;

Put up the tree before

My spirit falls again.

Fill up the stockings,

I may be rushing things,

But deck the halls again now.

For we need a little Christmas

Right this very minute,

Candles in the window,

Carols at the spinet.

Yes, we need a little Christmas

Right this very minute.

It hasn't snowed a single flurry,

But Santa, dear, we're in a hurry;

So climb down the chimney;

Turn on the brightest string of lights

I've ever seen.

Slice up the fruitcake;

It's time we hung some tinsel

On that evergreen bough.

For I've grown a little leaner,

Grown a little colder,

Grown a little sadder,

Grown a little older,

And I need a little angel

Sitting on my shoulder,

Need a little Christmas now.

For we need a little music,

Need a little laughter,

Need a little singing

Ringing through the rafter,

And we need a little snappy

"Happy ever after"

Need a little Christmas now.

We need a little Christmas now!

I think my total favorite is 'It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year', seconded by White Christmas (also favorite movie). I especially love the whole Elvis Christmas album, tape, CD, whatever.

Anne

Hey drdoolittle!

I have so many favorite Christmas songs, I just love Christmas music! :D

Alot of them are by the big kahuna of Christmas music, Der Bingle. My favorites of his are:

Jingle Bells and Mele Kalikimaka (w the Andrews Sisters -- and all others with the Sisters, as a matter of fact)

Sleigh Ride

White Christmas

Silent Night

Other Christmas faves include:

**** 12 days of Christmas (this song always gets a laugh out of me!)

I wanna a Hippo-- for Christmas

Away in a Manger

Hark! The Herold Angels Sing

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (only by the Barenaked Ladies, don't ask me why I just love that version!)

One For the Little Bitty Baby... Does anyone remember who did this song recently? It was a female singer... That's the first line.

And that song by Dave Mathews Band I heard last year. I can't remember the name of it.

I'll remember more while I'm lying awake tonight. Does anyone remember the doo-**** artist that did "White Christmas"? The song was featured in Home Alone as Culkin sings into the mirror with the hair brush.

For most of my life my favorite christmas album has been by Bing Crosby called Merry Christmas or sometimes released as White Christmas. Then in christmas 1998 Cyndi Lauper released Merry Christmas...Have a Nice Life. She really shows off her true colors on this cd. Love her bouncy conga line Christmas Conga and her Silent Night is so beautiful and she sings like an angel from heaven. It wasn't a big seller oddly enough. But it is my favorite christmas albums of all time. If you haven't heard it give it a shot. Buy it and you can rediscover the phenominal voice of the great Cyndi Lauper.

I have to agree with you, mongo. "Silver Bells" has always meant a lot to me. We used to have a silver bell swag that always had the place of honor in the front living room window at Christmastime and that songs always takes me back to my youth and those bells.

I think it was Vaughn Monroe who sang "White Christmas" in Home Alone, but I might be mistaken.

CharlieT

One of my favorite carols is Good King Wenceslas. There are 2 great versions of it worth checking out--The Roches do a country-swing-ish version on their We Three Kings cd and Mel Torme does a fabulous jazzy version on his Christmas Songs cd. Mel Torme's Christmas Songs cd is one of my favorite Christmas cd's of all time. Highly underrated.

Sandy K

I have SO many faves...

"O Holy Night" (Broadway star Billy Porter did a cover for a Rosie O'Donnell Christmas album a few years back...it's so soulful and heartfelt and always chokes me up.)

"My Favorite Things" (John Coltrane, The Supremes and Barbra Streisand)

"Happy Holidays" (Peggy Lee)

"This Christmas" (Donnie Hathaway)

"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" (JudyGarland)

"Toyland" (Doris Day, Leon Redbone)

"The Christmas Song" (Nat King Cole"

"Christmas Time Is Here" (Vince Guarldi)

"Merry Christmas Darling" (The Carpenters)

"Ave Maria" (Barbra Streisand, Karen Carpenter, Aaron Neville)

Someone stop me...

In no particular order (and best listened to on records):

White Christmas, Marshmallow World, Baby It's Cold Outside, Let it Snow - Dean Martin

Mistletoe & Holly, The Christmas Waltz, Jingle Bells, Ave Maria - Frank Sinatra

What Are You Doing New Year's Eve - Julie London

The Christmas Song, I Saw Three Ships - Nat King Cole

Merry Christmas Baby, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, The Little Drummer Boy - Lou Rawls

Christmas in Kilarney, Do You Hear What I Hear, O Holy Night, Silent Night - Bing

Frosty the Snowman - The Ronnettes

The Man with the Bag - Kay Starr

It's Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - Darlene Love, U2

I'll Be Home For Christmas - Jackie Gleason (the saddest version I've ever heard)

Silver Bells - Bob Hope

My Favorite Things - Tony Bennett

Sleigh Ride - Johnny Mathis

(There's No Place Like) Home For the Holidays, It's Beginning To Look a Lot Like Christmas - Perry Como

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year, Happy Holiday, Do You Hear What I Hear - Andy Williams

Ah, just another week and they'll all be fair game.

I love so many of the songs that people listed. I do want to single out The Christmas Waltz by Frank Sinatra--just beautiful.

Also, Matt mentioned Darlene Love--I look forward every year to her live performance on the David Letterman Show when she performs a Christmas song with Paul Shaffer and the band. She is still in fantastic voice. I love my cd, "A Christmas Gift for You from Phil Spector" which features Darlene along with songs by The Ronettes, Bob B. Soxx and the Blue Jeans, and The Crystals.

Sandy K

Me too, Matt and Sandy! The Darlene Love appearance on Letterman is one of fave highlights of the Christmas season. I love that Phil Spector Christmas album (have it on vinyl) and I'll be playing it many times over the next month.

"Ring-a-ling-a-ling-ah-ding-dong-ding!"

Your mention of "Good King Wenceslas" reminds me of the scene in Love, Actually where Hugh Grant, the Prime Minister, finds himself out on the sidewalk all by himself on Christmas eve. When someone opens a door, he decides to impersonate a caroler and breaks into "Good King Wenceslas" in a hearty baritone. That cracked me up. :)

Ben and Sandy, that Spector album is one of my favorites, too. I also have it on vinyl. I forgot to mention O Tannenbaum by the Vince Guaraldi Trio, as well as Christmas Time is Here, which was mentioned. Diana Krall does a great version of that, as well.

Sinatra and Bing also did an album together that I've had for years and couldn't figure out what was going on because it included dialogue in between carols. Then two years ago, a restored TV Christmas special with Sinatra and Bing from the 50s came out, and it's what is on my record. If anyone hasn't seen this show and is a fan of theirs, I highly recommend buying it. It's only about ten bucks and is a classic ... and it's in a beautiful restored color print.

bobhopefan1940 asked:

Does anyone remember the doo-**** artist that did "White Christmas"? The song was featured in Home Alone as Culkin sings into the mirror with the hair brush.

Earlier I answered "Vaughan Monroe." I was wrong. I heard it day-before-yesterday on the radio and it was The Drifters.

Charlie(the red-faced reindeer)T

"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland. It's a lovely song, yet it's so emotionally devastating at the same time. I do get a little teary when I hear it. I get teary just thinking about the lyrics.

On a perkier note (although it's a dark one as well), I like "Christmas At Ground Zero" by "Weird" Al Yankovic. Who would've thought that nuclear annhilation could be so fun?

Have yourself a Merry little Christmas when Judy Garland sings it. i get tears in my eyes eery time

Bing Crosbys White Christmas

Snow Fall by Tony Bennet

Happy Holidays by the Ray Coniff singers

Happy holidays by Steve and Edie

The whole totally remarkable Christmas album by the Carpenters