Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Roleplaying as screen legends!?

divin

Everyone here has heard of my space right? Well I recently found something out that's disturbing to me. There are several people on my space that have fan sites for multiple screen legends, these people not only have fan sites for there favorite stars they also ROLEPLAY as them!?!? Please someone out there tell me I am not the only one who thinks this is wrong and crazy!? look for yourself, go to myspace and type in any screen legend you love. There should be a page on them with a person that roleplays or should I say act's like them. maybe search under Joan fontaine, Betty Hutton, Jane Russell and several others that I can't remember. I think it's horrible! They even have there friends on my space call them by the screen legends name. Why must they roleplay or act like the star for there fan site?? It does not make any sense to me. I feel so alone on this one and I'm not crazy. I think it's wrong to act like you are someone else, disclaimer or not. I wrote a strongly worded letter to one of them and got snicker remarks back from them. Saying I must not have a life and etc. I am not the crazy one. I'm not acting like I'm someone else, and respected screen legends at that? Please someone tell me I am right? look for yourself.

thank you

~Jody

Hmmm. Well, I don't think I'd do something like that myself. But I guess I would hope that everyone (or at least everyone who knows who Bette Davis is) would understand it to be a joke.

I guess that's the trouble with internet, though--you never know who might read what you put there, how old they are, or what their background is. Sometimes I see (or post) something I think is obviously a joke, and yet other people seem to take it seriously.

So I guess the answer to your question is, I'm not sure what to think. Before I started posting to this site I had never tried to talk to strangers over the internet before. But since I've begun doing so, I've begun to understand how different people can react to the very same thing in so many different ways.

Sorry to be so wishy-washy. :)

oh no dont be sorry thank you.

The only reason I was so PO'ed is because I've been searching for Betty Hutton fan mail address for some time now and I came across The 'Betty Hutton' page and I seriously thought it was her, I thought my search was over. I was wrong.

I would never do some thing like that either, just out of respect. But I guess there are people out there that do it and think there is nothing wrong with it.

2/2 Two sides. To everything. Thanks!

Did you look on the Betty Hutton thread here on this board? Back on Betty's Summer Under the Stars day, when they re-played her interview with Bob Osbourne, there was a lot of discussion about her and I'm pretty sure someone came up with an address for her in Palm Springs. Check it out, way back in the July threads, or use search for Betty Hutton.

Anne

Yeah I seen it. I've been looking for her address probably since around 2004? maybe earlier? And I've came up with several of them, palm springs, Pennsylvania, Rhode island (where she earned her degree) and even in new England (were they say she is now) I've been EVERYWHERE! LoL That's why I posted here, thinking maybe someone might of sent her some thing recently and possibly might know where she is right now. But nothing yet.

Thank you SO much for your help also.

it's much appreciated.

~Jody

Here's another point of view, divin. I can understand that you were upset at the Betty Hutton mixup, and even that this whole concept struck you as odd. But when I first noticed these pages, my first thought was to be glad that the mostly young folks who populate myspace were taking enough of an interest in these stars to impersonate them and in some cases pretend to keep the performer's "work journal." One can tell that most of the "movie stars" are youngsters just by the slang.

Our generation discovered old movies by stumbling across them on television; as that's harder to do now, I'm glad at least that it's possible to stumble across them on the Internet.

Don't you think myspace.com is "weird and horrible" all on its own (with or without the role-playing stuff)? If aliens ever landed, they'd think the human race had been wiped out by a nuclear bomb; but no!!! Everyone's huddled over a keyboard conducting "virtual" relationships via computer; s-i-c-k... Granted, I mess around on here at work, but they pay me to sit here. "Dating online," etc., just gives me cold chills. But then, I'm one of those who would move to "The TCM 50s Town"!!!

Well, Brad,

My grandson (12 yrs old), 'claims' (his mother, my daughter is very gullible) that it is just for kids, and you can make a list of only certain people you want to talk to or hear from, he is not bad, just a little sneaky, so I usually take what he says with a very small grain of salt. As you can see, apparently anyone can go on any site, so that basically knocks out his theory, unless there is a special software included that lets you make your choices. I guess when it started out like all sites, it was okay, but sooner or later trolls enter the picture and mess things up.

Anne

Brad,

It's just a way to keep your own webpage of info about yourself and your interests, plus a blog (daily journal online) and a place for people to send you notes publicly.

www.myspace.com

Here is an example of one of the pages to which divin referred:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=90869126

As a kid my brother and I would (role) play some of our favorite films. Like wear long-johns with no-shirts and play "The Crimson Pirate" /Capt. Blood/ Blackbeard etc.. Or play in the upstairs crawl-space pretending we were digging a tunnel like The Great Escape, or duel with sticks in front of our church like "Scaramouche"or The Master of Ballantrae.(Great Steps)

The thing is WE HAD Imagination, no video-games, One TV No computer just FUN............

vallo

Message was edited by:

vallo13

The "controversy" is that grown men (either misrepresenting their ages or not) troll there for Sweet Young Thangs, who invariably post lewd and provocative digital photos of themselves. MY problem with it is that everyone today's hunched over a machine in some dark corner of a house (spelling badly, to boot) instead of living.

I used to love playing "Tarzan" when I was a kid...I lived in the country and, believe it or not, I had a swinging vine...which I would use to get from one side of the ditch to the other...good times!

I have a myspace page...hardly ever go there. There are also a lot of (real) celebrities with myspace pages too. It's also a good way to reunite with old school chums. The myspace people are pretty swift in cleaning up spam. The thing that sort of disturbs me is most of my "friend requests" are from young girls.

Vallo:

What you describe is called 'PLAYING!', which is what kids are supposed to do. It's what little girls do with dolls, and their mothers' cast off prom dresses, which is how they fine-tuned that 'mother instinct', and it's what little boys did with Hopalong Cassidy guns and holsters, and yard sticks for Robin Hoods swords. When I said months ago on one of these threads that kids don't do that anymore, they would rather sit at a computer and talk to someone in cyber space, I was told I was wrong and kids still played. It's been years since I drove through a neighborhod and came to a cross street where kids had to scatter because they were using the four corners for home plate and the 3 bases. Look around, even when kids do get together, they all have iPODs or hand held computer games and instead of yelling at each other to play ball, they're yelling at their hands to move faster dummy.

Anne

Anne:

How true. as a kid I was outside more than I was in. Imagination was the thing that kids had back then. The best thing was my friends and I would going to the movies on Saturday and "PLAY" it the next day using what we call now action figures,back then it was "let's play "Guns" or "Cowboys" or Men! (meaning action figures) My 14 yr. old is glued to the computer, as soon as he's home from school. Then we wonder why kids now-a-days are getting fat and lazy. Get out and PLAY something...ball, catch, ride a bike ....something....

vallo

I totally agree, MRS and VALLO; I am sooooooo glad I was a kid when I was!!! As I say, I got the last of the good childhoods, when we'd rush home to change clothes, grab a snack (Mom was invariably there ready with it), then rush outside till dinner; in summer, back out again till dark, when we'd be so reluctant to come in that we'd pretend we didn't hear our names being called. Did we have the latest electronic gadget? Uh-uh; maybe an hour of TV before bed. We DID have, as you've said, imagination, initiative, creativity (born of necessity); at best, a ball or a bike. I think the disappearance of this way of life has less to do with "danger" (the usual excuse given) and more to do with laziness and affluence. It's pretty scary. Yet another reason I love to watch old movies on TCM; kids as they used to be!!!